Forty-Seven

When the second round of a bullet comes flying through the shattered front window, that's when I realise this is entirely real.

Danni shouts something at me, but the buzz in my ears is too loud. I motion for her to run towards me, keeping low. I grab Mum's arm whilst Danni helps her up. We rush towards the bathroom, locking the door firmly behind us.

Mum is still coming to it, holding her sore head. "My head is pounding."

I grip her shoulder protectively, perching her on the edge of the bath as I start searching our cabinets for something to help the pain.

"Who the fuck is trying to kill us now?" Danni screeches, pacing the tight bathroom. She's pulled out her phone, ready to call the police.

"Who do you think?" I reply harshly. I don't mean to be short with her, but the pressure is beginning to build.

There was no doubt in my mind that Matthew would find some way to get into this house, even if all the doors were securely locked and the alarms Mum had bought recently were on.

He would climb through the damn window he'd shot out if he had to. He'd already killed Chaplin and had a history of killing innocent girls. He was truly capable of anything.

"Can we even trust the police?" Danni says, breathless.

"It's better than not calling them at all," I say, finally locating something for Mum's headache.

Mum cups her hands over the sink, the tap water pouring into her hands as she swallows the pills. She sits back on the edge of the tub, rubbing her head. "I'm so tired."

"No," I snap at her. "You probably have a concussion. You're not falling asleep. Danni, have you gotten through yet?"

Danni now has the phone up to her ear just as another two shots are fired nearby. I jump both times, accidentally falling into Mum. She holds her hand against my back, steadying me.

"What's going on, girls?" she asks sternly. "Why was Chaplin here asking questions?"

I wasn't sure if she couldn't hear the shots because she'd bumped her head too hard or if she was choosing to ignore them. Either way, I couldn't fathom why she was so calm yet firm.

"There are more important things to worry about right now. Like the fact an active shooter is currently trying to make his way into the house," I say.

It takes Mum a moment to digest what. I know the exact moment she realises, though. Her eyes widen in fear, and she stands too suddenly. She wobbles on her feet, and I must grab her arm to stabilise her.

Danni is talking urgently on the phone now, her eyes flickering over me as she notices Mum's sudden agitation.

"What do you mean an active shooter is trying to get in the house?" she shouts.

I grab her arms, turning her to face me when she breathes heavily. "Listen," I say, "we don't have time to freak out right now. You need to stay calm. We will get through this."

She watches me, wide-eyed, nodding tentatively. "Alright," she whispers. "I hate that you know how to handle this stuff better than me. It makes me think I've failed you as a mother."

"No, hey," I say sternly. "You've been the best mother I could ask for, alright? No one is born knowing how to handle this."

"But I'm your mother," she says, jabbing a finger at her chest. "I've failed to protect you from all of this. You lost your father, and I—I just shut down. Then you went through everything else, and I tried so hard to stop your pain by making you talk about it more."