Seventeen

It's the first group session that has felt normal for a while. The girls aren't on edge like they have been for the past few weeks. It helps me relax slightly, knowing they won't be questioning me for the entire hour about what I think happened to Talia.

Although, this week, I will be able to answer a few more of their questions. I don't want to get their hopes us with my theories, though, so I'm choosing to remain as silent as possible.

"Today, I wanted to delve a bit further into how we were able to cope after our experiences," I begin. "What methods did we each use that could be beneficial to share?"

Sophie raises her hand first, almost timidly, but I can within her expression that she wants to share something important.

"I wouldn't have gotten through any of it without the support of my family. It really is all about the support system you have in place.

They made sure that I got out of bed every day, that I started working, that I saw friends and kept up hobbies.

At first, it felt pushy, and I wanted to give up all the time, but I knew they were doing the best for me. They didn't want to lose me twice.

"It made me take my mind off things for a while. Even if I would fight with my parents sometimes about how exhausting it was, it meant that I was thinking about what had happened to me, and that was enough. It was enough that I wasn't going to...hurt myself."

She shuffles nervously in her seat as she finishes, pushing a strand of blonde hair behind her ear.

"Thank you, Sophie," I say earnestly. "That was great."

"My mum put me straight into a facility," Danni snorts suddenly. "She's always been better at tough love. It was her way of coping, too, I guess. We haven't ever spoken about what happened to me since then."

My heart sinks a little. Although psychological help is always essential after something as traumatic as these girls have been through, it's not always enough. Love is needed too.

"Did that hurt you?" I ask softly.

Danni frowns at me, rolling my eyes. "Of course it fucking did, but after nineteen years, I'm used to my mother. She's not a warm and fuzzy person."

My mother had been closed off at times too. It had, in turn, made me want to shut down and keep quiet. It was during those moments that I missed my father the most. He'd always known how to handle me at my lowest.

"Does anyone else wish to share?" I ask.

"I don't think I was coping for a while. Before this group, anyway. I didn't realise that having people with similar trauma would help me feel less alone," she shrugs. "But it has."

Some of the other girls nod, and I feel grateful, knowing that maybe I am helping make a difference.

"Justice for Talia will help me feel better," Katie adds, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "The whole case has made me feel unsettled."

I'd hoped we'd stray from this topic today, but it's unfair to think that. The girls are allowed to feel angry about Talia, and they're allowed to talk it out too.

I don't want to give them false hope with the information I have.

"We all want that," I add. "Nothing is more important."

"Do the police really have no leads?" Danni cuts in. "It's ridiculous."

Constable Chaplin's words begin to burn in my brain about coming to him for anything. I know he'd be disappointed in me, but do I have anything substantial to give him at this stage? It's crazy to think that I could learn more than the police now and that I haven't told them anything.

Yes, I heavily suspect Dylan could be involved, especially after lying about how well he knew Talia. Both of them could be hiding something big. I didn't know about Gordon, but I didn't trust him either.

And now someone called 'Ed'. How would I even find him without more information about who they are?

How could they be involved in all of this?

"Harlow."

"Hmm?"

I'd spaced out. Now everyone looks at me as though I've grown a third eye.

"Sorry," I say. "What did you say?"

"We just wanted to know if you've been updated on anything new," Danni says, frowning.

"Me? No, the police won't say anything to me."

God, I sound like I'm rambling. I can tell instantly that Danni isn't buying my shit. She runs a hand over the shaved part of her head, eyes squinting as she seems to assess me.

I move in my chair uncomfortably, pulling at some of the papers in my folder.

"I mean, I did hear they were looking at her old workplace. I haven't heard exactly why, though."

"How did you hear that?"

"Her mother," I say quickly. Almost too quickly.

The rest of the group believes me, but Danni keeps a watchful eye for the rest of the meeting.

She's always been clever. It's why she's so tough now. You can't go through something the way she has and come out without vigilance.

You learn to look into things more profoundly than before. You don't trust the first thing someone says to you. You're always on high alert, waiting for the shoe to finally drop.

"Thank you for all coming today," I say as everyone begins to dwindle out of the room.

Danni stays behind, pretending to be busy with her bag. She waits until Claudine, the last girl to leave, exits through the doors. Danni waits a few seconds before she turns to me, the door closing shut.

"I know you're lying," she begins.

I pretend not to hear her, too busy packing up the rest of my things.

"I've been in contact with Talia's mother, and the police haven't told her a thing. So where did you get the information from?"

"I'm not sure what you mean."

"Why are you bullshitting right now? What reason could you possibly have to lie? Did you obtain the information illegally? Are you the killer?"

My head whips up, and I let out an outrageous laugh. I shake my head, shoving the rest of my papers into my backpack.

"You didn't seriously just ask me that," I seethe.

"Well, why lie?"

"Maybe Talia's mother just didn't think to tell you," I shrug. "It's not like it's a huge lead, anyway."

Danni eyes me sceptically. "I feel like she would have told me, seeing as I've asked her recently whether she's heard anything."

I feel the panic begin to grow inside of me. What if Danni goes and questions Talia's mother about this, only to learn that she has no idea about the information I've just provided?

"She did tell me I couldn't tell anyone, so please don't mention it to her," I say quickly. "Maybe she just didn't want many people to know."

Danni raises a sceptical eyebrow at me. "Out of everyone, I didn't think you'd be the person to become dishonest."

"I'm—"

"One thing you should know about me is that I always find the truth. It's how I survived, Harlow," she interjects. "I will find what you're hiding from us."

In a flash, she's walking out through the doors, slamming them behind her.