Twenty

"So, boyfriend, huh?"

We're driving down the deserted freeway, twenty minutes from arriving at the address. I hadn't had the time to check Google Maps for the apparent building we were looking for, but I quickly typed in the address to get going as soon as possible.

I knew little about the area we were entering other than the obvious fact that once you reached a specific spot, all the buildings began to look more and more rundown until all that stood were piles of scaffolding and boarded-up shop fronts.

"Don't," I warn. "It's just a front, so my mother doesn't start asking questions.

"It's funny that that was the first possible excuse you thought of, though. Is this just a ploy to get me to like you so I'll ask you out?" Ben grins from the passenger seat.

I check the time on the dash, and my foot lands harder on the accelerator. "Shut up, please," I say.

It's eerie that we haven't passed a single car for a few miles. It's as though everyone knows of the danger lurking ahead, but I'm the stupid one who can't ignore it.

I'm unsure what I will find, but I'm preparing myself for the worst possible situation. There isn't a lot of positivity left around here. It's how I approach things anyway. Understanding that you might not get the desired result is always beneficial if you want to avoid facing disappointment.

"Can you at least explain what you're taking me to? Are you about to murder me because I learnt more about the case than you?"

I turn to glare at him before focusing back on the road. "That's not funny."

"Sorry," he mutters, holding his hands up in surrender. "Just trying to work out why I've been dragged out of bed and am currently on the freeway. Where exactly is our destination?"

"I received another email. This one feels different, though. More real. Like whoever sends them to me is sick of how slowly I'm progressing."

"What did it say?" Ben asks, suddenly more serious.

"It was about Ed, and then the person attached an address I had to get to before one in the morning, hence the need for you to get out of bed quickly."

"Are you sure we should be going? What if they are there and they want to kill us? Or worse, we get ambushed by more than one person."

My head had been all over the place; the idea of an ambush hadn't even crossed my mind. I also hadn't thought to bring any weapons.

"Do you at least have something to defend yourself with?" Ben asks.

"Um...I have an umbrella in the back?" I cringe as soon as I say it, knowing I've made a colossal mistake.

I should be better at things like this. For everything I've experienced, you'd think I'd have knives stored all over my body at all times and a can of pepper spray hidden under all the things I keep in my bag.

If Dad was still alive, I know he'd always urge me to be vigilant. I can imagine him seemingly cross, staring at me with his hands clasped on the table as he talks to me about the importance of my safety. I don't know why I'm suddenly unaware when it's been the basis of my entire career thus far.

"So, you're telling me we are about to walk into a place we don't know with nothing to protect us. Great!"

It's the closest I've seen Ben angry. Even still, it's not anger. It's just more pouty and frowny. He looks like an angry Golden Retriever. I'd probably laugh at his expression if this situation weren't so dire.