Dueller

"Just a duel?"

My eyes were narrowed, Princess Hue's were serious. "After yesterday's poor duel, I've decided that I cannot learn from you until you defeat me in a one-to-one duel."

"So will I win your respect?"

Princess Hue's smile widened. "If."

I bowed, a twisted smile forming as I did. Anh was flipping through another romance today. She devoured them. She looked up the tiniest bit, and found me staring at her through the corner of my eyes. Surprisingly, she smiled. Princess Hue bowed too, the formality before the duel. There was no thinking twice, if I did not win this, all my prospects with black.

"Weapons?" Princess Hue asked.

"You choose, Princess."

The psychological tricks: be the bigger person, trick them into believing your magnanimity. Give them the choice of weapon. I had never learnt to duel. It was an art that came from within and was only spoiled if tried to tamed. But Princess Hue seemed skilled, her talent was quiet, mine was vicious.

She drew her sword in response.

Bad move. Supremely bad move. I showed my smirk to her this time, she wasn't going to last very long. Not because she wasn't good, but because she had never defended herself, fought for her life, with a sword alone. I had. And that gave a person the skill no amount of training ever could.

+ + +

And she didn't.

Okay, Princess Hue was even better than I expected, but she was at quite a few disadvantages. And her gender wasn't even one of them.

See, she never had a tutor who challenged her. They were afraid of her wrath, perhaps, but they never told her the truth: skill without improvement stagnates at average. She had unexpected moves, but not the power or capability to assist them.

It started out fine. We were going front and back, as if in a dance. She was rather on the defensive side, which suited my offense. I realised her left foot was stronger, so was her left arm. And that she was completely after my blood.

A minute later I was weaving in and out. I knew I was tiring myself and that if the duel didn't end fast I'd be disadvantaged. But I knew it wouldn't last too long. Princess Hue was a little slower than the best duellers you could find. I realised that I could possibly disarm her easily if I was fast enough.

But I had not anticipated what happened next.

Princess Hue clearly read my move to disarm, and I read the fact that she knew, so at the last moment I twirled against her, pushing myself away. Then she did the unexpected: leapt as if something had shot her upwards, taking a somersault midair and kicking the sword clean out of my hand. It flew to a clatter, but before I heard that, I felt the pain in my wrist. The pain unleashed some part of me that I had never meant to show in this duel. It all happened in a second: I knelt down, grabbing the sword back into my hand. I swung it a little too hard, such that the Princess' sword left her hand, flying away, so far that we never heard any clatter. And if that was not it, I pushed my sword against her neck - pushing her back, farther and farther behind until she was against a cold metal wall, clearly defeated but staring into my eyes with defiance. 

"Lower you eyes, Princess," I snarled, "you've lost." Her chest rose and fell against mine, but after that sudden eruption I felt remarkably calm.

"You've won respect, Pham, not honor."

"Then treat me like your tutor, Princess." 

What in the world was I doing? I was supposed to have gently pulled my sword away, courteously complimented her and then apologized. This was completely on the contrary! But my rage against Lord Quan was channeling on her.

"That does not include lowering my eyes. I shall not." She hissed.

"Then the entire castle will find us locked this way until you do." I hissed back.

"You can try."

I felt a cold blade at the back of my neck. Princess Hue looked beyond me, and she cracked a triumphant grin. I turned the slightest bit. Anh.

It was a small dagger, wicked and very real. She almost extended her arm fully to reach my neck... it seemed cute, but the expression on her face was far from it.

"That's enough for a day, Tutor Pham. No Royal shall lower their eyes to you."

"You very well know, Lady Anh, that I could-"

"Lower that sword, Pham."

I took a deep breath, eyes closed.

"Lower it, you've won." Princess Hue spoke this time.

I did.

+ + +

"You claim to be the best crossbow wielder?" A moustached man hunches forward, frowning. I nod, unimpressed: I haven't even mentioned the sword yet. Another man bends towards him, whispering something. Perhaps the fact that I am already selected for the job.

"Even above the Lord?"

I tilt my head. This is a trick question. "I've never fought him, how would I know?"

"Would you like to?"

I shake my head, arrogance overtakes. "The Lord wouldn't want to find out."