Survivor

I could not believe how far I had come. I never expected myself to end up teaching Princess Hue the entire art of wielding a crossbow. All I had come for was a month at most.

But that aside, I could also see that I was a good teacher. The entire Yokel could see that. Princess Hue, who had taken a month to hit her very first mark, could now rival several men with experience. The entire time, my lips tingled from her touch the previous night. My heart thumped in my chest, any moment now, I'd be breaking that crossbow. The sun had set. I walked towards the Princess' chamber, my last day in the Palace...

Princess Hue was standing at the edge of her balcony. Her chamber didn't have too many attendants. I didn't knock, wanting her to feel me, and be surprised. And feel she did, because it is one marking of a good warrior.

"Oh to think that you won't be here tomorrow..." she turned to me,  "I shall be so lonely. And Anh," she smiled, while I marveled at her acceptance of missing me. "She'll fantasise about your dreamy eyes."

I took my chance, "Is lady Anh inclined towards me, Princess?"

"Well, her infatuation are numerous and never too serious. I do not consider them a threat. You tell me, which new girl shall you find for yourself?"

I looked down with a smile, "My heart was sold forever ever since I saw you, My Lady."

How easy to fool women, how simple to win their heart with sweet words and praise.

"I do accept that I admire you, and that I'd love for you to stay here," she replied gently, "but you will move on. And so will I. We were never meant to be."

That was one thing she got right.

"Bu-" I begin, but she silenced me with a finger to my lips.

"I'll just tell you two things: I'm sorry, I was rude and uncivil to you, and I didn't listen to my heart before... and the second," I opened my mouth at the same time she did.

"I love you." We both said together, and I pulled Hue into an embrace I only half heartedly took part in. But it was a victorious heart of mine that beat against hers. And presently, I told her of what had to be done.

* * *

"Do you really think this is safe?" Hue asked, looking ahead, she wasn't afraid or nervous, only worried that the time wasn't right. In explaining, re-explaining and convincing, about an hour of time had elapsed. Princess Hue might have ended up liking me, but she - under no circumstances - was blind in love. She knew it was wrong to take me to the crossbow. Nobody else was supposed to enter the room other than the heir.

I had expected it to take more anyway.

"It's the only thing I want to do once in my lifetime. That crossbow, holding it in my own hands - the years of my practice of the crossbow will bear fruit. Tomorrow I shall be gone, and the only second thing I wish is... to see your coronation."

"If anybody sees us, Minh-"

"If anybody sees us, Princess, you can tell them to mind their own business." I replied, coolly. As we reached the weaponry, she wrapped a hand around the handle and sighed.

"Only because you saved my life."

I smiled confidently, closing my hand upon hers on the knob. "You're doing it because you love me, Princess Hue." So yes, she could blush crimson, much more easily than Anh.

"Shut up." she replied, pushing the door open swiftly. We entered, shutting it behind us, "I need distractions too."

"You'll never forget the love you felt for me today."