Engineer

A looming calm had descended upon the Yokelian Palace. The mornings saw a me spend hours teaching Princess Hue, answering her in monosyllables. The afternoons were witness to my rigorous brain storming to bring her under my influence. The nights noticed me with Anh, but nobody knew the night, nobody cared.

It was one such afternoon where I had a plate in front of me, but my mind was on Princess Hue, that the topic arose. I usually ate in my room, but today I sat with the other head attendants and tutors.

Even though it was a clandestine lunch... fiercely loyal to the Lord, not a single word of complaint was uttered. A heavy downpour resounded on the walls as we chewed silently, in discipline. Yes, and then the topic arose. 

Was Princess Hue ready to be the Lady of Yokel?

I kept stoic, quiet, not uttering a single word as her other staff and tutors argued. The one thing I realized, was that almost all of them thought it was too early. Not because they had anything against her, but because Lord Lac was too good. And then her head tutor, Master Huynh turned to me.

"What are your opinions on this grave matter, Tutor Pham?"

I kept quiet for a little while after this question was asked to me, drawing attention to myself. Then I spoke, very softly, "May I cross-question, Sir?"

He nodded very graciously, "Of course, of course, you are much too polite!"

I gave him a small smile, "I only give you due respect, Master Huynh, and so may I please know for how long the Palace has benefitted from your loyal service?"

He laughed, "Much to polite!" he repeated, with a shake of head, "It has been twenty one years now, and many more to come, god-willing!"

"Indeed many more to come," I affirmed, almost sarcastically, but no one knew, "but from this I assume that none of us were around when Lord Lac was crowned...?" since Huynh was the eldest person by far at the table.

A general assent.

"Who are we to judge then, that the Lord so just and benevolent now, might have been just as unsuitable around the time of his coronation?"

I didn't begin conversation, but I sure ended them. Master Huynh patted me on the back, very hard, almost as if he were slapping me. But his face was genial, impressed. "This young man has some wit-"

Even before he managed to complete it, the curtains were pushed aside. A guard announced, in a very hoarse voice, "The Lord's niece, accomplished and wise beyond her age, Princess Anh!"

And then for the first time, for the first time in almost three months, I realized that Anh was a Princess. It shook me slightly, made me colour and get a little uncomfortable. But when Anh came in view, she was redder than a beet. "I'm sorry," she bowed to all of us who stood up on seeing her. "Please sit down... I didn't mean to disturb your meal..."

"Is everything alright, Princess?" Madam Hong questioned. "Or this is one of the regular?"

"Yes, yes. Most certainly, everything is alright." she bowed again. So gentle, so respectful. But what else can the daughter of a man fallen from favor be? "May I?"

This was evidently not her first time. Almost instantly the people around me made space for her, smiling, beaming. Anh sat down, right across me and gave me a sly smile. I would never understand this girl. Eating resumed, this time with loud voices and conversations. Anh ate in sophisticated silence for a while. Then she leaned towards to me.

"In a while, there will be a little distraction. Do as I say, Minh."

I looked at her, doing things upon others' directions was usually not my cup of tea. She nodded, as if forcing her will upon me. "Please." she would have held my hand if possible, I looked down, wishing she would explain more - I was impatient suddenly - even I knew something was going to happen. And I never said what I couldn't do, not anymore, not to her. Honor came from keeping  your word. So, I didn't assure her.

But soon enough, I realized that what she had probably been speaking of was not a 'little' distraction. The carpet at our feet was damp... even... wet. Lady Rin was the first one to get up, astonished. By then the water was upto our ankles. 

"What is going on!?" someone shrieked, hysterically. Outside, screams echoed - the Palace - the inner wing only, with no drainage, was steadily filling with water. Some of it still steeped out, and the heavy downpour was adding fuel to fire.

"THE DRAINS HAVE BURST!" a woman screamed outside. Around me, the people turned to and fro, wondering how that could be possible. And to me too, it seemed improbable without someone being behind it.

Someone... that was very surely Anh. But why this sabotage? How did it help us if the inner wing-

"We must vacate this spot at once. If the drains are damaged, the rain water will not flow... and the baths' water..."

The Baths... indeed. Luxury turned menace. The inner chamber was Princess Hue's, and it was as lavish as things could get. Three baths, filled to the brim with water that kept flowing. No, not the usual Baths with stagnant water, drained and then changed. They were almost like rivers in a very small area. The entire water was replaced every three hours... water that would keep flowing now without getting drained.

But what good would that be... it was not as quick to drown anybody. They could walk out - at most, swim out. What was Anh playing at?

+ + +

"I have told you a million times - DO NOT CONTACT ME!" I hiss at Chi Lan, the elder twin. She holds my arm, refusing to let me leave. I am very close to pushing her away but that is one thing I will not do. I might be a monster right now, but I do have a twisted conscience.

"Minh... I love you!" her eyes begin to water. Seeing no way out I gently disentangle myself, wiping her cheeks. This what I want to hear - I love to hear. They must be begging for my love.

"I could say that to you too, Lan," I smile triumphantly, "but it would be a lie."

"You said it a week ago! Minh... don't do this to me... is it because of my family? They'll love you! My sister adores you!"

"It was still a lie a week back. Listen... we don't click, Lan. You're not the girl for me."

And I know her sister adores me. She adores me a little too much.