Elder

The fall was not only  a few feet.

And it was not I who was bothered, Anh crumpled on the ground, gasping in pain and clutching at her ankle. Stupid girl landed flat on her feet! It slowed me down because despite the exchange of the last five minutes, I cared enough for her crouch and hold her ankle despite the fact that we were in hot pursuit. "Minh, can you just LEAVE!" she pushed me away with herculean effort. But I knew I wouldn't leave her, not for anything.

Fatal mistake, guards jumped down too, landing deftly. Anh's eyes widened - I gripped my sword. And if I had to kill all these men today, then may the universe forgive me. But this wasn't a play where they charged one by one - nevertheless - I cut through, very soon, the entire force of the Palace would be here. I had to be quick. The Lord could be awake now. But I was seemingly winning, the guards were no match for me. A sufficient gap was created, escape was imminent. Just when I could see victory rushing towards me, I felt the cold blade on my shoulder once again.

Anh.

For a long time, I registered nothing. "What are y-"

"Surrender, Pham Nam Minh, you've broken the Sacred Crossbow."

So this was what betrayal felt like. I stood motionless, then, controlled by the animal instinct for survival, slashed at Anh. But no, she was much too deft. Her ankle was perfectly fine. Her motions too swift. And before the dull pain in my chest, I was weakened. Sentries, although surrounding us, did not interfere as I dueled a tiny woman with a dagger against all my strength and a mighty sword. But she was a hundred times more skilled than anyone else I knew of. Besides, all I had been doing it for, all this while, was perhaps because Anh had wanted me to. I had ignored my conscience because Anh pushed me to it. Alas, to discover that you had sold yourself to a traitor. Was I finally getting back what I had been giving to innocent women all these years?

It confused me greatly. But I had to live. I had to get away. But what use was life as an outcast that I would be now. Even if I reached the Lord in time, would he trust me over his daughter? No respect, no power. I realized that I had gained them already in this place - all of which I had promptly flung away. I was motionless as she disarmed me. Speechless as more guards surrounded us.

"Seize him. He dared to touch me! I shall tell you what to do of him after a short meeting with the Lord."

How ruthless. I wished this to be a dream a million times over, but as the guards' strong hands gripped my arms, I realized the pain was very real.

What was happening!? All this was ABSURD!

+ + +

We - The Lord and I - are pushed to our knees in front of Lord Lac. Anh stands next to him, expressionless. But the Lord stares at her, unable to comprehend anything. Frustrated, I hiss, "She betrayed us!"

The Lord looks at me incredulously, "What nonsense- you know she is my daughter! Anh would never do that! She-"

"I haven't seen you in years, cousin." Lord Lac muses, clearly unaffected by all that has passed in the past hours. Dawn is breaking outside, the sun rises on my defeat. He walks over to him, patting his shoulder. "I must say, that you tried well enough." he doesn't smile, he is sad, but he is grateful for the fact that his cousin wasn't able to seize power. "I am only surprised how a man of your level managed to be blessed by such a daughter."

My face burns, I have been looking down all this while. "And you, Pham Nam Minh. Look at yourself, boy. What haven't you got! Do I look like a fool to you?" I still do not look up as Lord Lac addresses me. "I knew that Hue admired you for a very long time. I had even decided to make you her permanent tutor. Eventually, you could have sat on the throne yourself!"

I say nothing, the pain is too much, the failure too fresh. "Anh didn't manage to save the Crossbow, but she has saved Yokel. I have nothing to say - I shall spend my old age in peace. She is as much my daughter as Hue, who very unfortunately, trusted the wrong person." I feel his gaze burning into me. "In exile, she shall have peace. But you, Minh. Who will get you peace?"

I still look down, peace is far from what I need. Lord Lac shakes his head, deeply and far more disappointed than anything else. He walks over to Anh, patting her on the back and sighing.

When he is gone, Anh allows herself a small smile. And here is where I snap.

"Can you make this quick, at least!?" I growl, making her look at me. Completely disregarding the fact that her father is here, she advances, wrapping her hands around my neck and bending to kiss me. But I push her away savagely with my shoulders, tied up as I am, "None of your nasty games!"

"Aw, come on Minh!" she pouts, "I only did what was best for all of us."

"Anh-!" Her father begins, but he is silenced by a glare from her.

"I do not wish to speak to you." she tells him curtly. "You are the reason I turned into the monster I am today, so you must pay too." Turning back to me, she smiles, "You see, my love, you needed Princess Hue's love for the crossbow. I needed yours for the throne."

"Wh-"

"Do you know how much elder I am- to Hue?" Anh smiles, tracing a finger over my jawline. I try to move away, but she forces my head back straight. "Seven months."

Coincidentally, I know of that.

"And do you how much of a more competent ruler I will be, than this lame, old man?" she continues, referring to her father. I am surprised, but I do not wish to speak. "Lord Lac Long Quan is an excellent man. He deserved to rule, I am very fair about this. I do not care who this blasted Palace chose its heir to be, I am much, much fitter than Hue ever could be. And so... I had to get both these buffoons out of my path. And you," she lifts my head again to kiss me - and is pushed back again, Anh shakes her head, "you, Minh did all the dirty jobs for me. And don't mind all the guards and attendants here hearing every word I speak. They are all loyal to me, dear."

"So none of it was real." I manage.

"Why are you so hurt, have you not done this to at least twenty women already?" Anh smiles innocently. I hate to mention it, but despite the monster she is, she is pretty. "None of it was real. But you are good-looking, and I probably like the way you smell."

"Kill me, will you?" I mutter again.

"Aww, I will. But for now, I have to escort my younger sister out of the Palace. Thank heavens, this bloodline of the stuck-up Dragon-lords ends here!"

And in that moment, I am sure of the fact that all this while, I had not been pursuing power or respect. I had had them with me and never been satisfied. In this moment, I accept that my weakness had been my hunger for love. And my inability to preserve it when I got it.

Hopeless is what I am.

Don't call me brilliant.