Dictator

Well now, the Lord knew me.

It happened very formally, in the midst of the training grounds, I tried my best to teach Princess Hue the correct way one held a crossbow. This one was of fine quality, but had nothing on the legendary crossbow in terms of weight, sturdiness, or ease of use. 

Formally indeed, because just when he walked in, unannounced, I had been holding her around the shoulders. It was a professional act but it must have looked rather compromising - her back was almost resting against my chest as I tried to explain where exactly the crossbow had to be held. A little unfortunately, Princess Hue was not the best of learners when it came to bows, her skills were mostly limited to the sword and the spear. Appreciable, but sorely not enough.

I only realised of a foreign presence when Anh got up hurriedly, bowing as low as possible. For a second I looked at her until Princess Hue took a sharp breath. "Father..." she whispered.

I let go immediately, kneeling against all the violent tendencies that raged within me. Lord Lac Long Quan was a man of tall height, broad shoulders and a heavily tanned complexion. His hair was darker than Hue's where it was black, but was peppered with streaks of white. And grudgingly, I had to agree that his presence carried an aura that his cousin's sorely lacked.

"Princess Hue," he addressed his daughter first, "it's not you I wish to see, but this illustrious young man."

Fire must have blazed through my eyes as I bowed lower at the indirect address.

"Must I stay then?" she enquired, distastefully. Perhaps she wondered why her noble father wanted to meet filth like me.

"It shall not take me long, and I do not wish to disrupt your training. But I would appreciate a few soliltary moments with Tutor Pham."

What flowery speech... the Lord was weighing every word of his.

Princess Hue and Anh bowed, emptying the ground almost immediately. Lord Lac turned to me, "Don't embarrass me so, Tutor Pham. Without you, Yokel shall never witness its heiress wield the crossbow."

It was my sole job to remain in his good books. So I replied,

"I am but one of the hundred applicants who could have had this opportunity of service to you, Sir." I avoided calling him the Lord. I had only one Lord. "It is my deepest pleasure."

It almost unnerved me when he was right above me the next second, but very gently, he pulled me up. And damn it, this old man was strong. "This degree of modesty doesn't suit a warrior of your calibre. Now tell me, has your pride been hurt by the Princess' excesses?"

My eyes flew to his face, taken aback. Kindness did seem to reflect from his eyes, and more importantly, understanding. I hesitated.

"Her tutor tells me that she has been very uncivil towards you."

His simple words, simple question and concern made a mark so deep in some corner of my heart that I wanted to cry. This was the man I had hated all my life, the man behind all my sufferings. The man I'd push down the throne - this man was asking me questions that nobody ever would. He actually thought me to be a human with a beating heart.

I bit my lips as hard I could to keep my stinging eyes in check. What use was my life, and all the power, and all the respect if I had nobody to talk to me the way this man had? But within a moment, my eyes were as dry as ever. Men didn't cry, did they? And my resolve had survived a lot in the past to be weakened by this Lord's kindness. His rule was to last lesser than a year, perhaps this kindness had sprung up in him upon the realization of his own mortality.

"The Princess has the right to do as she pleases," I said, not looking into his eyes. Did he not know who I was? Did he not know my past? My father? Knowing the aforementioned would have been enough for him to hold me in disdain, for he surely didn't know my Lord, to whom I had pledged allegiance until death. 

"That's the mistake we all make, Pham." he said, in a slow voice, "And that's why Princess Hue needs you. More than not knowing to wield a crossbow, the Princess doesn't know to win hearts, to command affection and respect. It's not something she can learn in a day, not something mandatory for her to know. But Yokel shall never have a satisfactory ruler in her until she learns the power of benevolence. The tutor saw in you a man with sufficient knowledge of the crossbow and satisfactory warlike tendencies. But I have observed you far more closely than anyone else could, and I see in you a man with charisma, with leadership and with the ability to reform any cold heart. You know why?" he asked, in a low voice. The Lord was not old but he spoke with the wisdom of the trees. Had I swore vengeance on the wrong man?

I shook my head, both to keep my resolve firm and to answer him. This meeting would pass. The Lord wouldn't win my heart.

"Because you carry one within yourself. It is not in your favor, Pham, to now regret the past acts of your immaturity. They are done and cannot be changed, and your penance is to live with that stain on your character."

He knew.

"But you can do much better now, Tutor. More than the crossbow, you must teach Princess Hue to wield power with the grace you do. It is a lot to ask for, in the span of a few months, but your presence has already been changing her. I ask just one thing of you," and he looked me right into the eye, "do not give in to her disdain. Challenge her, Tutor Pham, to see the truth as bare as it lies in front of me. A ruler she may become any day that she ascends the throne, but can she lord over the hearts of her subjects?"

I looked at Lord Lac with confusion so deep that words were bursting to come forth. Nevertheless, I remained silent. If he was so gentle, kind - so righteous and benevolent, then why was his treasury not satisfied with every penny we owned? Why did his men torture us into labor for years, to pay all that he knew we couldn't?

"Sir," I began, "I shall try my best." then I hesitated again, I had to get to the depth of this man. "Could I request an audience with you again?" I would have asked right now... but it would be audacious. We were talking about the princess, not me.

A small chuckle, a pat on my back. "A summon shall soon come your way."

I bowed low, "I'm obliged, Sir." each compliant statement, each bow, each doubt that rose within me challenged the beliefs I had held on to, all my life.

If Lac Long Quan was no longer the villain in my life, did I have any purpose left?

+ + +

So I hold on to the one log I find, like a drowning man. Hatred.

Hatred so powerful that pales anger in comparison. The man who took away my father and made my life meaningless... that man shall know me. Till his dying breath, he will remember the ant he thought could never harm him.

And with a heart burning in rage and cold with hatred at the same time, I clench my hand upon the handle of the door to my vengeance. It's the only way out of this misery, and the only way to actually work against the Regime. Mother puts a hand to my shoulder, nodding once.

I turn the handle. We've found a dictator to replace The Dictator.