Chapter 9: The Substance in the Air

I stirred from my sleep and opened my eyes. I struggled to focus so I blinked a couple times before I looked around at my surroundings.

Where am I, I thought confused.

My eyes traveled along the light tan walls to the mirror. I saw my reflection in it. I am sitting in a chair with my wrists tied together with a rope. I snapped to reality when I saw someone walking in the room out of the corner of my eyes.

"Ugh, you again ," I stated as I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, me again," the bartender told me as he walked over to a strip down bed and sat on it, "Listen. WICKED is going to be here in a few hours to pick up the drunks and you. Your friends are way too drunk to help you. I gotta get back to work. Bye, darling."

I felt a shiver down my back at the nickname as he walked away.

"Wait, why did you target me, not the others" I asked him.

I watched the bartender turn to me, standing in the doorway.

"Of course, WICKED wants them too. But, you and Thomas are very valuable to them. I think that's his name. And he didn't stop by at my bar," he answered.

He closed the door and left.

I need to get out of here, I told myself as I looked around the room again.

Nothing came to mind. Well, nothing right now.

I closed my eyes and drew air into my lungs. I opened them before I searched the room again. They traveled to the mirror and then the rope. I analyzed it for a moment as it gave me a idea.

-✨-
I managed to scoot the chair over the mirror. Although, it was hard. Now, I am a step away to freedom. I gave some force as I scooted backwards. I heard glass shattering. I went to grabbed a piece and succeeded. Then, I felt a stinging sensation in my arm.

Shit, I thought as it stung more when I moved the glass against the rope.

Once it broke, I moved my hand in front of me and observed them for a quick second. Then, I stood up from the chair and walked to the door. I turned the doorknob and opened it. I took the chance to escape the house. But once I was outside, I saw the man who betrayed me walking back. We made eye contact and I began to run the other way.

"Oh you sneaky little shit," he said as he started to chase me.

As my runner skills came into play, I turned turns and twists. I kept my pace until I bumped into someone.

"Y/N?" Minho exclaimed.

"Minho!" I stated while coughing a little bit,"Go!"

"What?" he asked but interrupted by my pulling him along.

I let go of Minho's arm since he started running. My lungs were burning while I ran. I started to have a coughing fit. I ran into dead end and rest against the wall. I saw Minho coming back into the dead end before a cough shot out of me.

"Hey, are you ok?" he asked as he walked to me.

"Yeah, I'll be fine in a few seconds," I replied, coughing hard.

"Ah. The cat has finally caught to the mouse. You think you got away?" I heard the bartender's voice ring out, "you and your friend are going to come with me."

"Umm... I'm confused. What is going on here?" Minho asked, "Y/N?"

I felt my heart against my chest. My breathing heavy a little, plus the coughing fit wasn't helping. Their voice were just mumbling at the moment. I watched Minho's confused and worried face turned to me as the bartender's eyes were locked on me. Just like a glass falling from a table, I let go.

I shut my eyes as I began to yell. I leaned forward once I did. I sunk down against the wall as I cried into the air. I reopened my eyes and took a deep breath once I was done. I wiped a tear before looking up. A faint red light scattered across the sky. My eyes traveled to Minho who was looking up at it. His face looked surprised and a little bit admired by the substance in the air.

I put my hand on the wall and pulled myself up. Once I did, I walked to him.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I don't know. You just...," Minho told me.

"I just what?"

"You just spurt out that," he said as pointing at the substance.

I giggled, "I didn't."

"Yes, you did," he spoke.

I furrowed my eyebrows as my eyes traveled to it. The faint red waves circled around in the light.

"Y/N," Minho said, getting my attention.

I turned to him.

"What happened to your arm?"

I looked down at my arm and saw blood coming out from the wound.

"Shit," I whispered.

I went back to the spot where I was. I reached for the cuff of my sleeve and ripped it off. I wrapped it around the cut. Then, I walked back to the boy.

"Will you tie this," I asked, holding the ends of the piece together on my arm.

"Sure," he answered.

He did what I asked him to do, tying the end of the piece together around the wound. His hands moved away from my arm after he was done.

"Thank you," I told him before noticing something, "hey, where's the bartender?"

"What?" Minho replied before turning around to where I was looking, "Oh him. He ran off like a coward during your magic bursting thing."

"Magic?" I asked, crossing my arms while looking at him.

"Yes. How can you describe it," he spoke, "anyway, let's go."

-✨-

The red substance in the air reached until we got out of the alleyway. We walked past the building where the party was held and into an area. When we drew closer, I saw the others waiting with a car.

"About time!" Jorge exclaimed.

"Y/N, you're ok!" Aris spoke as he came for a hug.

I wrapped my arms around him. We stayed there for a few seconds. Then, my eyes traveled to Thomas who was standing there as Aris pulled away.

"I got these from the house. I thought you'd want to keep them," Aris smiled, holding my crimson jacket and my knife holder.

"You're the best!"

I took them from him and put the jacket on. I wrapped the knife holder around my thigh. Then, I thanked the boy before walking to Thomas.

"I'm glad you're okay," I said, "but don't get me kidnapped again while we're rescuing you."

Thomas giggled at my comment.

"I'll try not to."

"Hmm. I'm not sure they're able to anymore." Minho exclaimed.

"What do you mean," Newt asked, turning to him as I saw his eyebrows furrowed.

"I hate to break the reunion up but we need to get a move on," Jorge mentioned.

We all piled in the car.

"Everyone good?" The man asked once all of us gathered inside.

"Well, I'm pretty sure that I can speak Frypan, Brenda, and I. We don't want to be crammed in here so driving would be helpful!" I replied.

"Ok, ok" he said before holding the steering wheel and the car began to move.

As he was driving, I felt exhaustion approaching me. I let it take over my body as I closed my eyes.