Chapter 20: The City

Gally led us to a room where a metal plate was placed over something. Frypan, Thomas, Newt and I circled around it. He removed it from the hole. We glanced down it before the boy went to grab a ladder and put it into the hole.

"Be careful, Thomas," I heard Jorge whisper to Thomas.

Then, the ladder was at the bottom. We watched Gally getting ready to go down there. Before he did, Frypan spoke:

"Gally, take care of these three."

"Yeah," he said.

He climbed down the steps of the ladder. Newt caught my attention when his hand started to shake as he was fixing his shoe. He pulled it up and examined it.

"Well, ladies first," Thomas's voice ripped me from Newt.

"What a gentleman," I replied with a small giggle.

I took a seat across from the brown haired boy and grabbed the ladder. I swung my feet onto it. I climbed down.

Thomas went after me.

Then, Newt.

-✨-

"Ugh, this is gross," Newt commented as we walked in the dark, humid tunnel. The only sources of light was the flashlight that we held.

"Jesus," I heard Thomas says, "Yeah, this is great."

Gally held his flashlight on a power switch and switched it on. Light bulbs on the left side lit up. He started walking again.

"Stay with me. We got long ways to go" he told us.

We followed him.

-✨-

The four of us got to a door. Gally looked at us.

"Be discreet as possible,"he whispered, eyeing a certain brown haired boy.

Newt and I joined him.

Thomas sighed, "let's just go."

Gally opened the door and checked if the coast was clear. If it was, he would leave the door all the way open for us. That was exactly what he did.

He led us through a crowd and up a a flight of stairs. As soon as I saw the city up close, I was amazed. Thomas and Newt were too by the looks of it.

"This is a long way from the Glade," Newt spoke.

"I hate to admit it but I'm impressed," I said.

We heard a melody and then a woman's voice reminded everyone in the city that 15 minutes until curfew.

"Yeah, we better get off the streets," Gally told us, "I know it's hard but act like you have seen it before."

-✨-

We heard sirens as we ran through the city. Gally gave us a gesture to halt. A security car went by.Then, the boys and I ran across the street after we made sure it was gone. We got there and pressed our body's against a glass window of a store.

Another car drove down the road.

"They definitely have security," Gally said and turned to us, "I guess you shanks have something to do with that."

"Alright, let's get out of here" he added.

We followed him across another road and eventually through somewhere that led us to the wall.

"Alright Newt, you're up," Gally whispered as we ran toward it.

He helped the blonde boy up enough to climb by himself. Then, I climbed up using the boy's help. I heard Thomas telling him that he got it.

Soon after, we ran to a staircase and went up them.

"There it is," Gally said, " WICKED got Minho, that's where they're keeping him."

I rest my arms, looking ahead at the building.

"Lawrence has been trying to find a way in for years" he mentioned as he was looking through a telescope, "The place is crawling with soldiers. They got surveillance everywhere. Scanners on every floor."

"Sounds like a bloody fortress," Newt spoke.

"You said you had a way in" Thomas asked Gally.

"And it involves Thomas?" I continued the question.

"I might. And yes, it involves him," he answered.

"You might?! The hell do you mean 'might'?"

"How?"

Thomas and I spoke the same time.

"Take a look," Gally responded to Thomas as he stepped back to let him see through the telescope.

Thomas looked into it for a moment.

"I said I had a way in, I didn't say that you were going to like it," the boy told him.