19

Time is like the water of a raging river, forceful and unrelenting, branching off into numerous paths that diverge without bounds. And perhaps because of this, all possibilities were endless?

The sound of dirt crunching beneath Shirou's feet pricked at his ears, yet he didn't mind it very much. After all, the pain he was currently going through was not something an average man could endure. Let alone the sound of dirt crunching, he wouldn't even bat an eye if someone was yelling at his face.
Stifling a groan, he pressed his back against the rough bark of a tree and attempted to mitigate the pain by closing his eyes. However, it hardly worked.
"Do you regret it?" A voice spoke from within his conscience.
Despite the voice sounding biting, it was clear that it was keen on hearing an answer, no matter what it was.
Did he regret it? Of course not, and he quickly conveyed it.
The pain coursing through his body was the demerit of taking on the Evils of the World, or at least a portion of it that had been ravaging the mind of a child several years younger than he was. Yet, he bore it without hesitation to help another and avoid complications at the same time. In return for the pain, he was able to garner the power that came with it, something so tainted that it altered his very appearance. Then again, the change was most likely because of the absence of God's presence within him; the Holy properties of the one who sits upon the throne in the skies no longer counteracting the demonic properties of all the World's Evils.
God's presence was being suppressed within Shirou's body, and God had done so willingly to prevent any Devil from detecting the slightest hint of Holy attribute. At the same time though, God could not readily speak with Shirou either. Therefore, it gave free reign to the other being within him, the one who knew the anguish of bearing the burden of the World's Evils.
"..." the voice in Shirou's head fell silent when it understood Shirou's answer.
In the next moment, the leaves rustled as a small Devil made her way through the underbrush.
His eyes opened to stare at her.
She was tiny. A little girl no older then seven that was forced to mature due to the nature of the situation. Her green-coloured hair was braided down one side, and her grey eyes stared at him in child-like fascination, or perhaps something else. He didn't know, nor did he understand the impact of the image he had left within her mind when he saved her that day.
Tentatively, she walked towards him, a thin sheen of red colouring her rounded cheeks, making it clear that she was tired from her exertion.
This child's name was Adelina, the sole daughter of a newly widowed woman.
Of the people he had saved previously, it was her whose actions engraved itself into his mind. A little girl pleading for help despite the suffering she was obviously enduring.
"M-Mama says you have to eat too," Adelina stuttered out, pulling a small bundle of cloth wrapped food.
With the events of yesterday wrapped up, the inhabitants in the Lands of Marbas were in drastic need of aid. Both food and shelter had already become scarce after the attack from the Old Satan's Faction. And when he had seen this for himself, his mood soured considerably.
Under the astonished gazes of all, a presumed High-Ranked Devil had begun to cover himself in soot and ash as he wordlessly worked tirelessly to build a shelter large enough to accommodate all. Even then, from the pained expression on his face, it could only be assumed that he was suffering from some kind of injury, yet still he persisted.
The inhabitants in the land of Marbas were truly moved to tears at that moment. More so when the young lord began foraging through wrecked home after wrecked home to amass a pile of edible food. By the time he was done, he looked nothing like the distinguished figure of a Noble and more like a beggar by the side of a road. The contrast was too shocking, and none were able to snap themselves out of their daze fast enough to beg the young lord not to leave without at least eating something.
And this was how he had ended up in his current situation.
Adelina fidgeted under his gaze.
As the only one able to currently move, the task fell upon her to seek out the young Lord Marbas. It was sheer coincidence that she was able to find Shirou when he was in the midst of contemplating about leaving. Yet he had no such thoughts anymore after careful consideration.
Forcing himself to not reveal any of the pain he was feeling, Shirou sat further up as Adelina slowly approached him.
"H-Here," she stuttered out again, outstretching her hands.
Within the wrapped cloth was a piece of bread blackened by soot. However, it was still edible if anything. Just from its size alone, he knew clearly that it was the largest piece of food he was able to salvage earlier. And here it was now being given to him without another thought. The amount of others starving was no small number, and he would rather starve then let others do the same. The amount of food was really just too little.
His gaze softened when he saw the tiny nibbles on the edges of the bread, his mouth twitching into a smile when he noticed the crumbs on Adelina's lips.
"Thanks," he said.
Taking the bread into his hands, he immediately separated the bread into two pieces much to Adelina's surprise. One piece was exceedingly larger than the other which was only the size of a thumb.
Putting the thumb-sized piece of bread into his mouth, Adelina stood blankly when the other half was put in her hands.
He quickly made a shushing gesture with his fingers and pattered her head, encouraging her to eat.
Face flushing, Adelina was about to protest, but was stopped when he smiled down at her. She then glanced at the ground, unable to maintain her gaze and quietly began chewing on the bread.
"Eat a bit slower, you might choke," he reminded, the pain of his body tossed aside. After all, he could disregard the pain so long as he was doing it for the sake of another.
"Lord Marbas..." Adelina appeared to be at a loss for words.
As for himself, he didn't even react to what he was called by. At least with everyone knowing him as Lord Marbas, it may have less of an impact on the future.
Finishing the bread, Adelina simply stood there quietly. She had already finished her task, but at the same time, she didn't want to leave either.
Sighing, he took her small hand in his and began walking her back. It wouldn't do for a child to walk alone with the Civil War going on.
As the two left, a shadow in the trees fell to the ground to reveal a young woman of moderate stature with a puzzled expression in her eyes. Black-hair tied into twin-tails billowing in the wind, she shook her head before disappearing in a burst of speed, frost left in her wake.
When he arrived back at the shelter he built for the other people with Adelina by his side, he was immediately welcomed warmly. Despite being injured, the other Devils still attempted to bow in his direction which put him in an awkward position when he insisted that they didn't. His insistence however, only made them want to do so more as their respect for him only increased further.
When everything died down and he had eventually reunited Adelina with her mother, he frowned when he saw that there was nothing left of the food that he had gathered before. There was simply too little of it to even satisfy one's stomach. With how injured everyone was, he was clear that they would need good meals to allow their bodies to heal themselves. Despite being inclined to heal their injuries with the tools he had at his disposal, he was weary of it as more than one of the swords he had for healing carried Holy properties which may be counter productive.
Therefore, he made up his mind.
God had already specified where he had to go in this timeline, and had also specified that time here would be many times longer than the present. As such, he wouldn't have to worry about finishing his task too quickly. In this way, his thoughts immediately shifted towards finding a way to help these people. Just saving them from harm didn't mean that he had truly saved them if they died from starvation days later.
Bidding them a quick farewell, he went into the open plains that he noted in the distance to hunt for food.
Wild game seemed to be abundant at this season, and the size of them was much larger than in the Human World. A grazing deer of sorts was the same size as an elephant. This made it difficult for them to be hunted by the other lower-class Devils, but he would be having no such problems. He was quickly able to salvage quite a number of them, piling them atop his shoulder as he made his way back.
With the sheer amount he was carrying, the ground rumbled with every step he took, drawing much attention.
When the residents of Lord Marbas saw what it was that the young Lord was bringing for them, the gratitude they felt had already solidified into devotion. It didn't matter if they couldn't fight now, there were many other things people could do.
And they all swore on that day that they would live for their young Lord.
Soon, he arrived by a small plaza just in front of the shelter he had built. Tossing the meat on the ground, he immediately got to work, everyone watching him attentively.
It was only when they realized what the young Lord was doing that everyone became stupefied. They had heard of High-Class Devils being all powerful and calculating, but they had never seen nor heard of one being able to cook.
Indeed, he was cooking. Not only did it take his mind off the pain, but it was something he enjoyed doing if his gentle hum could be considered as anything substantial.
There was an element of caution one always had to take when cooking over an open fire with raw animals. One had to properly gut them and skin the fur to make a good meal. This was something he had perfected in his years of living, even more so when he used his skills in the Holy Sword trials. He was the one who ended up cooking for an entire group of people so he was now used to making larger portions.
The fire roared to life as he ignited the pieces of twine into a blaze of embers that fell upon the dry wood. Thereafter, he began to coat the meat with the spices and herbs he was able to salvage from the wrecked homes and some he found in the wild.
As the pieces of meat were huge, he ended up taking a considerable amount of time to perfectly season them, and even then, he wrapped everything up in large leaves before making a spit roast with sturdy traced blades.
Oblivious of everything else around him as he cooked, he didn't notice when nearly everyone was drawn towards him from the aroma of the food he was producing. Even the woman watching in the shadows had drool beginning to slide down her lips.
When the fire met the wrapped and seasoned meat, the juices and the fat began to mix within the wrapped meat, creating a burst of steam that puffed out into the air.
The excitement was palpable, the appeal of fresh meat and food was far greater than hard bread and damaged fruit.
Adelina stood with her mother's arms wrapped around her from the side. She was watching in a daze much like everyone else, and when the first piece of meat was offered to her, her mind blanked.
It wasn't until her mother cut off a piece and placed it directly into her mouth did she collect herself, but even then, her mind blanked once more when she registered the taste of the food in her mouth.
Her eyes widened as she chewed on auto-pilot, her cheeks vigorously moving up and down as a content expression filled her face when she swallowed. When she opened her mouth for more, she was shocked to realize that her mother was already eating it.
"Mom!" She couldn't help but exclaim.
The sound of laughter echoed out before Shirou gave everyone a piece before moving on to roast the next piece of meat. No matter how many times Adelina and the others asked for more, they were always given another piece, allowing them to eat till they were full.
By the time everyone finished eating, night had already fallen in the underworld, and many began to doze off as he decided to begin cleaning. Just from the smell alone, he was weary of attracting any animals in the dead of night. The others were still too injured to put of a resistance after all.
Yet before any animal could come, they were all beaten by the shadow who had once been hiding in the distance.
Making sure that Shirou was gone, the woman stalked closer to the left-over meat and with an incredulous expression, sunk her teeth into it.
Shirou's ears perked up from where he was currently walking towards the nearby stream to wash the grease and oil off of his hands.
Was that a moan?
He was sure that his ears were playing tricks on him, yet when he arrived towards the source of the sound, his jaw dropped open.
There in the middle of the night was a lady who had pounced directly onto the left-over pieces of meat and was gorging herself without a care.
She wore a form-fitting grey blouse and baggy leggings of the same colour. On her head was a black-coloured beret placed evenly between her pigtail-styled hair.
Even from where he was standing, he could hear her muttering as she ate.
"W-What kind of food is this?"
"Ooh, this one tastes good too!?"
She picked up one of the side dishes that he had made using crushed berries as a toping. Like he had demonstrated to the other Devils when he had first made it, the crushed berries were to be spread over a thin piece of lettuce-looking vegetable before wrapping it up with the meat to bite. Almost as soon as the woman did so, the entire dish in her hands disappeared into her stomach before she could even realize it.
"I-I, why can't I stop?"
Her voice sounded dismayed, but at the same time elated.
"T-The chefs at home never made anything like this," she muttered. "I wonder if I can hire him?"
"Oooh what's that?" She reached over for any piece of food she could see in sight, forgetting where exactly she was.
"MMhhhmm," she hummed as she ate, more so when she took a bite of the dessert he had made for Adelina, a type of pudding made from fruit.
"Ahem," he said, clearing his throat.
The woman froze almost immediately, a flush on her face as she turned to face him caught red-handed. Noticing that there was still a piece of food left in her hand, she immediately stuffed it into her mouth, her cheeks bulging and looking as if she had no regrets.
He waited for her to swallow before he questioned her.
"Who are you?" He asked. From the way she was looking at him, it didn't seem as if she was an enemy.
"I didn't know that old man Marbas had kept a son hidden away from everyone," the woman said evenly. "But clearly it must be because you secluded yourself to learn the arts of cooking."
He had no idea where she was going with this other than the way she was eying the rest of the left-overs. Sighing, he humored her and even began roasting her fresh food.
She beamed at him, her eyes seeming to sparkle as she waited in anticipation.
"A true gentleman," she complimented.
From her youthfulness, it was evident that she wasn't one of those Devils who simply appeared young but were hundreds of years old. Instead, she was probably around his age at the moment.
Relaxing, she dusted off her clothes before finding a suitable place to sit and wait.
Suddenly, her expression grew sharp as if she'd finally realized what she'd been doing. At first, she was simply observing due to her own curiosity, but the time for observations were over. Besides, she could be serious when she wanted to, and this was one of those times.
Her gaze calmed as she regained the majority of her composure. Her bearings had become more like that of a Nobility, giving her a disposition that was captivating in the dim light of the crackling flame.
"Forgive me for not introducing myself upon our first meeting, mother had always said I can get a bit carried away and lose my etiquette," the woman spoke courteously.
"I'm not one for etiquette anyway. You can just call me, Marbas, it's what everyone else calls me," he said.
The woman rose a brow. "Do you not have a name other than your family name?"
He didn't answer her question. There was no need to. It was better to keep a certain distance from people who seemed as if they had future relevance. Just from this woman's disposition, it was clear that she may be someone of importance.
"Then I'll call you Kuro, for your black hair and magical markings," the woman said whimsically.
His only response was a sigh as he just-about wrapped up making the fresh food and placed it on a plate over on the woman's lap.
"You should eat while it's still hot," he said, to which she smiled in response.
Yet rather than eating, the woman placed her hot food to the side to stand up directly in front of him. Her mouth was set in a thin line and her brows had shifted to a slant. A cold breeze passed by while an air of frost seemed to permeate around her as she then opened her mouth to speak.
"Serafall of house Sitri, greets Marbas of house Marbas."
It was the ancient etiquette taught to all High-Class Devils of the Seventy-Two Pillars, yet oddly enough, the young Lord of house Marbas failed to respond in kind.
After all, in Shirou's mind, numerous thoughts were flashing. One, the name of Sitri and its relation to Sona, and two, how this meeting may cause trouble for him in the future. Therefore, as soon as Shirou heard the name Sitri, his face steeled, not giving anything away.
"As for why I'm here, I came to help Old man Marbas, but I came too late. That was when you showed up and pushed back those members of the Old Satan Faction. I have to warn you though- hey, are you even listening?!" Serafall pouted, her arms crossing.
In fact, he was listening, but because he had steeled his face, it appeared as if he was ignoring her. Thinking to mend his mistake, all that he could say at the moment was a single observation.
He reached a hand and brushed past her upper lip.
"You have grease on your mouth," he said, showing her his fingers.
One of the first things he had discovered about himself after returning to the past, was that his impulses never changed. Despite knowing that he was only here to look for a lead on the Evil released by the Grail that God had spoken of, he still got himself embroiled in a matter that shouldn't have had concerned him.
"Hey, are you listening?" Serafall called out to him.
It was the morning of the next day, and already this heir of house Sitri was already right before him. Sighing, he already felt tired from his lack of sleep last night due to the constant pain, but now he had more things he had to deal with.
"You said you came here for a warning of sorts," he replied.
Serafall nodded her head. "Exactly. You were able to push back those Old Satan activists, but you aren't in the clear yet. Because you defeated them, it's even more likely that several of them will come in retaliation."
He thought back to the Devils of the Old Satan Faction he had faced before. Even for Devils, they were on the weaker side, more so when they began to run. If more of them came, then it shouldn't be too difficult for him to repel them once again. Besides, he could see it in Serafall's eyes. She was trying to rope him in and get him involved further.
"Then I will push them back once more," he said evenly. The people living in the lands of Marbas had suffered enough. To force them out of their homes that they had just begun to remake was not something he wished to do.
Serafall's lip twitched. "You're strong alright? I saw it for myself, but do you think you can protect everyone here if an entire garrison of Old Satan activists came?"
He shook his head to Serafall's questioning. "It isn't about what I can or can't do. Those people have suffered enough, and I don't wish for them to panic and leave behind the things that they hold dear. Look at them,"
He beckoned forward with his hands towards the townsfolk who had recovered enough from their injuries to work. Through their efforts, they had built far more shelters than just the large one he had built alone. In fact, homes were being remade from the wood of the nearby trees. The atmosphere itself was hopeful and without fear.
Serafall's gaze softened as she stared at both him, and then to the people.
To begin with, Serafall never wanted for there to be a Civil War. She, like many other Devils who had participated in the War between the Factions, was tired of all the fighting and bloodshed. To come back from a war between enemies, only to find out that more enemies lay in wait in the mother land was a debilitating blow. Her sister would be born soon, and this wasn't the kind of world she wished Sona to be born in. Therefore, she had put all her efforts into creating a world where her sister could be happy.
Looking at the residents of the town ruled by Marbas, Serafall felt more than ever that she had to pull such a gentle Devil to her side. She could see it in his expression. He too, like her, didn't wish to see others suffering. The power he had displayed before left standing, his character alone was admirable. To work for others before himself, to feed others before himself, they were all things she had observed him doing.
And this observation was done because she had never once met an offspring of Marbas like him. The eldest son had already died in the Great War, and he was a ruthless killer. She had wanted to see if this young Lord was the same, but everything was contradictory.
She felt that her mouth had suddenly gone dry as she thought of something to say that could persuade this young Lord of Marbas. She had a shelter not too far off from the land ruled by Marbas, but it would be a difficult journey for lower-ranked Devils. Which is why she didn't feel confident of convincing Marbas to come with her.
So long as it troubled the people, Marbas wouldn't be swayed.
This was the kind of person he was, and in a deeper part of her, her admiration was burning like a fierce flame.
She sighed. Signalling with her hands towards the Devils in her faction who were waiting a distance away for her orders.
As the heir of house Sitri, her authority was unquestionable to those that were under her command. This was the case for the Devils under allegiance of her house.
With the movement of her fingers, it was clear that she was conveying for them to lay low.
"Then I suppose that I have no choice but to remain here for now," Serafall said.
He didn't respond. Not only was the pain keeping him from thinking straight, but he didn't want to risk alerting others of his weakness by talking. Therefore, he now possessed an impassive expression over his face as he simply nodded to Serafall. To be able to maintain his current form for as long as he had, it went to show just how strong-willed he was.
Standing up, he then walked towards the direction of the townsfolk and almost naturally, he began to work with them to rebuild what was once destroyed while mulling over his thoughts. Based on what Serafall had told him, the Old Satan Faction would definitely be sending more activists to investigate what had occurred here. When that point came, he would have to once again defend the townspeople, however, he knew he couldn't do so forever. He didn't belong in this timeline, and would have to eventually leave the townsfolk to accomplish his goal. Despite knowing that, the feeling of abandoning them didn't sit well with him.
He had already thought it over. If he hadn't appeared in this timeline, then the townsfolk in the land of Marbas would all probably be dead. Yet, could he just stand by and let that happen just because it already had? He refused to accept such an answer.
To make sure that the Old Satan Activist didn't come again, he would have to get his message across. For that, he knew that blood must be spilt no matter how unwilling he was to do it. Sometimes, things just had to get done.
A cold resolve entered his eyes, just as sharp as the twinkle of a blade's edge.
And Serafall who had been watching him felt a shiver travel down her back. Opening and closing her trembling hands, she stared at the image of him helping the lower-class Devils and then related it to the cold resolve she had seen moments before.
There was more to Marbas than meets the eye.
More so when she noticed the little Devil girl once again approach the new Lord.
Adelina stood in front of Shirou, her face set in determination, and small hands balled into fists.
Looking at her, Shirou put aside what he was doing to give her his attention.
"I want to be strong," she voiced lowly. "Daddy's gone so I have to be the one to protect mama."
"Even if you know it's dangerous?" Serafall asked, stepping forward. Just from her aura alone, it was clear that Serafall too, was a High-Class Devil.
Adelina shivered from the aura, but she didn't back down. The kind Lord was near her, and that was more than enough. Ignoring Serafall, she bowed in Shirou's direction again, feeling nervous when he stared at her.
A thump echoed by her ear, and when she glanced up, it was too see that the young Lord had created a small wooden sword for her to use. The young Lord's face was impassive as always, but his actions were more than enough to convey his character.
He was kind.
A Kind Lord.
Taking the wooden sword in her hands, Adelina looked at Shirou unsurely.
"To be strong, one must practice," he said. "Moreover-"
Adelina's stomach growled.
"Hunger is the enemy, so fight until you're strong enough so that hunger never comes again," he said patting her head while pushing a package of wrapped food into her hands.
Adelina's intentions were something he could agree with and support. Therefore, he had no qualms with teaching her a thing or two of the mediocre sword skills he knew of. In a way, the current situation was similar to when he had first asked the King of Knights for lessons of the sword. All he wanted was to be able to protect those he cared about, and this sentiment was identical to the one Adelina was currently expressing.
"If one swings long enough, and hard enough, you'd be surprised to discover that you've become strong. Remember this clearly, for under the blade of a master swordsman, even the most fearsome of Dragons can become nothing more than bigger swallows. Now run along, your mother's probably waiting for you," he said under Adelina's blank gaze.
Adelina eventually composed herself, bowed, then quickly left much to Serafall's amusement. Serafall then turned to Shirou who was about to move elsewhere after helping the others rebuild.
"A Dragon no more than a swallow?" She said with a laugh. "A being of ultimate power reduced to a bird, I'll have to remember that the next time someone speaks of the battle between the Red and White Dragons."
"You'd be surprised in the truth of the statement," he spoke leisurely.
It wasn't only the technique that he had copied from the sword of the Assassin, Sasaki Kojiro, but the man's philosophy as well; for tracing didn't just perfectly recreate a weapon, but it allowed him to witness the history of its past wielders.
And the man known as Sasaki Kojiro may as well have had been capable of such a feat.
Pausing in his steps, he arrived at the very borders of the lands ruled by the late old man Marbas. Serafall was behind him, and when he began drawing a line into the earth, she gave him a puzzled look.
"What are you doing?" She asked.
The land by the borders was desolate. A sparse plain of cracked earth and clouds of dust that blew in the gentle breeze.
"If the Old Satan Faction wishes to come, then let them come," he said coldly. "But should they pass this line, I can't guarantee their lives."
"Oh, you sound confident," Serafall said picking up her own stick before helping Shirou. "Can you do it alone though? I'm sure that you understand that there's more than one way to enter old man Marbas's land than the spot you're marking here."
"I know that already, therefore, it's just a matter of objective," he replied, putting away the stick he had used to mark the line with. "Strictly speaking, their here for me."
"That is indeed the case," Serafall nodded before crossing her arms. "It would be odd if they were to send so many Mid and High-Rank Devils to eliminate a town of Low-Class Devils."
Serafall observed him quietly. In her mind, she was debating about the powers she had seen him exhibit and gauging whether it would be enough to survive. Power aside, she was curious about his ability to make swords out of nothing. She had heard of God and his Sacred Gears, but those weapons were granted upon humans. It was only recently that Ajuka perfected the Evil Piece System which allowed for the integration of Sacred Gears into Devil-kind, but even then, pure blooded High-Ranked Devils didn't possess them. After all, that would mean that they were once human and were reincarnated.
As Shirou was a descendant of Marbas in Serafall's eyes, the mystery surrounding him only grew deeper.
Shirou nodded to Serafall's words before speaking.
"That is why I will remain here. My aura should be enough to draw them towards me," he said.
"You'd use yourself as bait?" Serafall asked incredulously.
She had met many types of Devils, but even for her, this was a new experience.
"Why?" She ended up asking.
"You don't need a reason to help others," he said calmly. "It's who I am, and who I will continue to be."
The two fell into silence as Shirou propped his back against a tree and then sat down to wait. He didn't know how long it would take before the Old Satan Activists would arrive, therefore it was for the best that he remain where he was to prevent any harm to Adelina and the rest.
Serafall's mouth twitched before her eyes softened when she mulled over Shirou's words.
"You act like a Magical Hero," she expressed her observation, dancing on the balls of her heels before coming to a rest beside Shirou. "Your reasons for fighting I mean and those magic symbols on your body."
Closing his eyes to mitigate the pain he was feeling, he answered Serafall dismissively. "I suppose," he said.
Nodding her head, Serafall spoke again.
"Then what does that make me who's accompanying the Magical Hero?"
"A Magical Girl," he said without much thought.
"?" Serafall gave him a questioning look from the specific term, but chose to just note it to heart in the light banter.
The two sat there for a while until Serafall got bored and would occasionally leave to entertain herself. Unknown to him, she was actually using those times to order her followers to set up a defensive perimeter around the residents. One way or another, she'd decided to make a base of operations in the land of Marbas.
Meanwhile, Adelina had somehow stumbled upon his position and would train there day after day, swinging that wooden sword until sweat began dripping down from her brow. As she asked for pointers, he was happy to oblige her. And so time would soon pass.
A day went by, and then two.
Gradually, he became accustomed to the pain of his current form and was able to at least relax as the inhabitants of the town recovered.
It was only later that the Old Satan Activists would come.
"Do you truly mean to stay here my Lady?" A Devil in a masked attire asked. The rest of his body was shrouded in a black mantle. "You know you are needed on the battlefield to help put an end to this Civil War once and for all. We don't even know when the Angels and Fallen may attack again. In our state of Civil War, I fear there will only be even more causalities."
"I will remain here for the time being," Serafall spoke with a conflicted expression.
"For the young head of house Marbas?" The masked Devil questioned.
"It is exactly for that reason," Serafall said. "You and the others may not be able to understand it, but there's something about him that makes me feel that he could help change things in this war. Call it a hunch if you will, but just by his character alone, he is someone worthy of admiration. He is someone that the underworld needs."
There was a silence after Serafall's words that only drew longer when the masked Devil sighed.
"Is this because of the marriage?" The masked Devil asked. "You know your mother only did it to create stronger ties to the other Noble families."
Serafall's face darkened. "No, it has nothing to do with that. Besides, I don't want to get married right now."
Shaking her head, Serafall dismissed the masked Devil before taking the time to walk towards the place where Marbas spent his time. During the course of the few days, she had ordered her men to set up base around the lands of house Marbas. As such, numerous houses and fortifications soon rose up from the dirt after her followers began renovating. She was sure that Marbas must have taken notice of her actions by now, but the man didn't even say anything in response. The only acknowledgment she got was a cool nod that seemed to convey every sentiment the man had.
She was amused if anything from that kind of response, and unknowingly began putting more effort into her plans in an attempt to get him to speak. There was just something about the gentleness in his voice that offset his rough yet handsome appearance. More than that, she was enjoying the time she spent here.
Here she wasn't Serafall, the Ice Devil of the New Satan Faction, but just Serafall, the eldest of house Sitri. And it was a welcome change in her life that was once full of violence and betrayals.
The base she was making here, was the one she felt that she enjoyed staying at the most, and this clearly wasn't just because the food was good. Even if she harboured thoughts of kidnapping the son of Marbas when the Civil War was over to become her personal chef, she wouldn't be too greedy. She'd only borrow him at least twice in a day.
She nodded her head as she glanced at the refurbished buildings and shops that were once destroyed. Her mood only further lifted when she saw the smiles on the people's faces. In the end, this was what she was fighting for. A world where everyone could smile. A place her little sister could proudly call home.
Looking up towards the sky and gauging her surroundings, she realized that she was almost at her destination after passing through the remade town.
Like always, Marbas was there, an impassive expression on his face even as he taught the sword to the little Adelina while leaning his back against a tree.
And just like always, she would walk by his side and sit opposite of him, trying to get a reaction out of the would-be-Hero.
However, today was different.
Her expression dimmed as the feel of the magical energy in the air assaulted her senses.
"Adelina, it's enough for today," Marbas suddenly spoke grimly.
Adelina was puffing from her exertion as she paused in surprise. However, she would never question the words of her Lord and immediately stopped and decided to return to her mother.
She gave a quick farewell before departing, giving a bow to Serafall before bowing deeper towards the son of Marbas.
Cheeky kid, Serafall thought amusedly as she watched Adelina leave. Assuming that if they were both High-Class Devils, then the level of respect should be the same for both her and Marbas. Yet evidently the kid was biased.
Amused as Serafall was though, she knew that it was time to be serious.
The rustle of the dirt alerted Serafall that Marbas was getting up. He had a tall and imposing figure, the muscles beneath his skin taught and firm as he moved.
Just as Marbas stood up, several dozen Devils stood opposite to him. From the energy they were outputting, Serafall could easily discern that they were an entire group of High-Ranked Devils.
Leading them was a pair of a man and a woman. The man wore a high-collared tunic beneath a flowing blue mantle while the woman was covered in a cloak.
"To think that the oldest of the Sitri line would be here," the man spoke. "It's understandable then why so many of us were defeated before. Edward Valefor at your service my Lady."
Serafall didn't reply. Instead, she simply began gathering her magical power as the air around her began to drop with the appearance of frost on the ground.
As for Shirou, he was being largely disregarded. Even if everyone present thought of him as a High-Class Devil, amongst other High-Class Devils he didn't particularly stand out. Yet this wouldn't do. He at least had to make one thing known.
"Leave now," he said sternly, his voice piercing like daggers. "For that line in front of you is as your life."
It was only after Shirou spoke that the High-Class Devils on the Old Satan Faction took the time to glance down at the crudely drawn line on the ground before grinning smugly.
"And who's this? Another High-Class Devil? Which lineage do you hail from?" Edward Valefor asked mockingly before shaking his head. "No, what really matters is whose side do you stand on?"
Pacing along the edges of the drawn line, Edward Valefor glanced up at Shirou before speaking once more.
"Normally I wouldn't be wasting much time on speaking to someone who appears to be an enemy, but as your strength is that of a High-Class Devil, it is worth attempting to persuade you," Edward said. "Now will you aid in the supremacy of the Devil race against the other factions, or will you remain where you are now as a peace lover?"
Finished speaking, Edwad crossed the line.
"So what happens now?" Edward goaded.
Serafall stared at Marbas, watching him for what he would do at this clear provocation. To her surprise, he did nothing as more and more of the High-Class Devils of the Old Satan Faction stepped across the line.
"Kuro?" She couldn't help but call out.
"See, he was all talk! Of course a single High-Class Devil wouldn't be able to defeat all of us," Edward Valefor mocked.
However, Edward furrowed his brows at the next moment.
"Sister?" Edward called, looking at the cloaked woman.
Out of everyone, she was the only one who hadn't crossed the line. She had the distinct feeling that her brother and everyone else was making a mistake. This feeling only grew worse when she realized that the unknown High-Ranked Devil's eyes would stare hard at all those that had passed over the line. Even now, those eyes were currently on her, waiting to see what decision she would make.
Under that gaze, she wasn't able to move.
"Edward, I think that maybe we should call father for this," the woman in the cloak pursed her lips. "Besides, the Ice Devil is here too."
Edward furrowed his brows. "All the more reason for us to act. Father has no time for such things, and if we can defeat the Sitri Heiress than it would be a great merit."
The cloaked woman swallowed, yet still didn't move.
"Fine then, you can stay where you are. I and the rest should be enough anyway," Edward relented when it came to his sister.
Sneering, Edward and the rest began making their way towards Serafall and Shirou.
The frost around Serafall immediately became a blizzard of snow. She had long since been preparing her powers, and had only been holding back to see what it was that Marbas had up his sleeve. However, she was disappointed to see that the man himself had not done anything.
Furrowing her brows, she placed herself at the front and glared at the Devils before her. From her hands, layer upon layer of cold mist began exuding out in a cloud-like fashion that formed icicles in the air.
She glanced at Shirou in warning even as her mouth spoke. "Get back, I'll-"
The words caught in her throat, a tremor running through her body that made it feel as if she was choking.
W-What is this?
Her shoulders grew heavy as her breathing quickened.
Evidently, she wasn't the only one. Edward's face paled immediately, and some of the other High-Class Devils that had come with him were already struggling on the ground. They were writhing, as if fighting some nefarious energy. It was only when she scrutinized them did she see a black ink-like substance crawling up from their legs. Just from the expressions that appeared on their faces, she could tell that they were experiencing a pain like none other.
That energy, it was Evil. Like a tainted water.
Edward's expression fell, and it was only when he noticed the shock on his sister's face did he shift his gaze to stare at the Devil they were once ridiculing.
The black patterns on the Devil's body seemed to be alive. Shifting over his skin as the energy around him soared without bounds.
"Y-You what are you!?" Edward yelled in fear.
He wasn't the only one who'd grown frightful, nearly everyone that had crossed the line were in a similar state.
After all, the power that Shirou was using was a reflection of all the World's Evil itself. The Sins of the World gathered upon a single being.
Serafall shivered, but didn't show any fear. It was all because she was reminding herself that the Devil beside her was a Devil who cared for those that were weaker. Even going as far as to help train a young girl in the ways of the sword.
Yet this kind of power?
She didn't feel it before when Shirou last fought against the Old Satan Faction because she was too far away and had only arrived to see him standing in the midst of the magic circle of Marbas.
But now?
T-This wasn't the strength of a simple High-Class Devil.
Her breath hitched as she flooded her body with power to stabilize herself. She who was an Ultimate-Class was forced into a situation where she had to defend herself even without being the recipient of the power's attack.
Just what kind of situation was this?
She took one step back, then two as she used her hands to shield her face from the chaotic aura Shirou was releasing.
Serafall's eyes then widened into saucers as her own powers grew agitated. It was a primal feeling, something that compelled her to follow.
The strength of demons,
The root of each Devil's power.
And the origin of the true Demons of the Ars Goetia, the lesser Keys of Solomon.
Like a torch, a black flame seemed to exude around Shirou as he approached the Devils in the Old Satan Faction. The black magic patterns around his body seemed to writhe and twist into haunting images of times immemorial.
He who bore all the World's Sins exuded the power of a Demon like none other.
For the original sin was what birthed the legions of the Seventy-Two.
"I've warned you," his voice was distorting as he spoke. "That line, was as your life. And you all have cut it short."
This was not the strength of a High-Class Devil.
This could barely even be registered as a strength of a Devil.
This was an existence at the pinnacle of the Ultimate-Class.
Someone who could be counted amongst the overwhelming might of the Underworld Faction's two strongest Aces.
The Crimson Satan, and the Genius Ajuka Astaroth.
This was Marbas, Leader of what would eventually be known as the Marbas Faction.
In his hands, a sword appeared, his face impassive as he arrived directly in front of the Devils of the Old Satan Faction.
Edward struggled to peer up, yet even as he did so, his teeth began to chatter.
And all he saw while looking up at that impassive face, was a Devil like none other.
Thanks for Reading!
P a treon. com (slash) Parcasious