20

Fear is only that of the mind. A mechanism to warn one of danger, yet in the end, it could be overcome. However, this wasn't the case for the current situation.

From the heaviness of the air, to the way the scenery around seemed to blend into a myriad of shapes and colours, Edward was far from being able to overcome the fear welling from within him.
He was a High-Class Devil, a nobility born with the pedigree to stand above others. In fact, he even had aspirations of becoming an Ultimate-Class, Devils of power who could only be admired and never provoked. This rule was iron clad in his mind ever since he was a child and had met his Great-Grandfather, the head of house Valefor and an Ultimate-Class Devil.
The gap between a High-Class and an Ultimate-Class was like the gulf that separated the Heavens and the Earth. Utterly unbridgeable aside from a few exceptions, and Edward knew clearly that he wasn't one of those exceptions.
Eyes as cold as frigid ice with the smoothness of mirrors.
Edward began to shiver, and the monster in front of him had yet to even reach him, the voice playing within his ears like some kind of sick curse.
""That line, was as your life. And you all have cut it short."
No.
No! This wasn't how it was supposed to be!
Even if Serafall, the eldest of the Sitri house was rumoured to have recently crossed levels into the Ultimate-Class, he was confident that he could defeat her with numbers before she could adjust to her new strength.
But reality was cruel. To think that she would be associated with this kind of freak.
Just from the feel of the monster's energy before him, this Devil was an Ultimate-Class that even stood far above other Ultimate-Class Devils, and he had provoked him?
Off in the distance, Edward's sister had long collapsed to her knees, her face pale and hands pressed over her mouth. She didn't move.
No one did.
The pressure was just too suffocating.
Even Serafall, who had prided herself to a degree for reaching the Ultimate-Class was unable to utter a word. Her mind was blank, but her body reacted on its own. Her hairs rose on end, and her arms crossed around her chest to quell the trepidation she was feeling.
And in the midst of it all, the monster in question didn't seem to pay any heed to the reaction of others, moving forward as if that was all that mattered.
Perhaps, because it was.
No matter how Shirou wished to suppress it, or refuse to acknowledge it, a part of him was screaming out for murder. An influence from the animosity a sole individual had for those that had condemned him or chose to disregard him to keep a better peace of mind.
Hypocrites, hiding behind the guise of necessity.
Why me and no one else?
It was a role that didn't distinguish between others, so long as one would bear the burden.
Yet why did no one come to help?
Hate them, curse them, because that was all that there was left to do.
The bitter sentiments and negative emotions were mixing in with the pain Shirou was currently enduring, making it difficult to focus on anything. Like crawling ants, those bitter sentiments then seemed to morph into something tangible, the pith of curses itself. And he could feel them clambering over the ground.
Unable to be seen, they were wrapping themselves around Edward and the other High-Class Devils and were the true source of the pain they were feeling.
Even then, other than the influence All-the-World's-Evil was having on his mind, another power was only propagating it.
The strength of a Devil. The bloodline of the Seventy-Two Pillars assimilated into him through the King piece which amplified his strength by a staggering degree.
There was a reason why even in the modern age, the peerage system lacked King Pieces, and he was beginning to understand why.
It was a force unlike anything other. It was as boundless as the sea, and it was still growing.
The Red King, the symbol of the one who leads.
Within him, the King piece was unlike any of the other King pieces ever created. A tower plagued by the harmony of three powers, the concept of the Trinity. A Holy number in the Christian faith, and that number held weight even in other religions. The Trinity of three, representing the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and in other beliefs, the Sea, the Earth, and the Sky.
A concept derived from prayer.
Within him, the King piece's red luster was dimmed as shades of black and white fought for supremacy, yet at the moment, the white was almost entirely suppressed, the tower solely a combination of black and red.
The two energies were compatible, one bolstering the other to produce an energy not seen since the ancient times.
"-!"
The Demons of the original Seventy-Two Pillars of the Ars Goetia.
The Demon with the head of a Lion.
Marbas.
A magic seal shook the very ground as it appeared in a blinding flash beneath Shirou's feet. Ash rose to the air as ancient gears seemed to shift in and out of reality, clouds of dust swept up into spires reaching towards the purple sky.
He the one standing in the center was like a flame, his aura rising uncontrollably until one could see a figure forming in the flickering energy. The head of a lion whose open maw seemed able to encompass all. A long mane of brilliant fur encompassing its visage.
"M-Marbas," the colour seemed to drain from Edward and the others faces as they swallowed. "Great Demon of the Seventy-Two Pillars."
Serafall was beyond just shocked, she was rooted in place. Who were the Demons of the Seventy-Two Pillars if not the Strongest beings of the Underworld that ever existed? The progenitors of the current generation of Devils. They who ruled the Legions of Old.
What did it mean for the Great President of Hell's visage to form behind Kuro's back?
The purity of his blood was like none other.
If one were to ask her who would be in any position to dictate the current rulings of the Underworld she would have no doubts that it would be the man before her. He who was as close to the original Demons of the Seventy-Two as any other.
An inaudible roar seemed to ring in everyone's ears at the next moment, followed by the breaking of the wind, producing violent zephyrs that shot out in all directions.
Serafall shielded her eyes before forming a thin wall of ice to protect her. Even then, she stared warily as hair-line cracks began to form over the ice's surface.
"So, this was what Old Man Marbas was hiding," Serafall pursed her lips as she muttered. It was too unbelievable yet awe inspiring. An heir comparable to that of the original Seventy-Two.
The power he must contain wasn't just Ultimate-Class, it must be several times more.
If word ever got out of Kuro's existence, she paled just thinking about the results.
But even before she could ponder on it further, the situation began to change again.
Shirou's speed increased, bridging the distance in an instant and cratering the ground while the Magic circle of house Marbas erupted from around him, writhing with tendrils of energy.
Yet Shirou didn't even notice these changes, instead, he was attempting to end this entire matter as soon as possible simply because he feared passing out from the exertion.
Perhaps it was only the aura of God himself who was able to counteract both the might of All-the-World's-Evil and the power of the Red-King piece. However, God was lying dormant and allowing the darker aspect within him to occupy the most space.
As such, the feel of his energy was growing darker and darker. Something that the Devils could only worship in praise. For it was an aura worthy of that praise.
Yet at the cost of his own mind?
He could feel himself losing it in the same way a single individual once had under the same burden, but he refused to give up. A sword was meant to be swung. This power, a means to an end. The fires of the forge giving birth to the sharpest of swords. Tempered through pain, hardened through will, what lied beyond the boundary was something that had no meaning in obtaining.
But even so, all he could do was take one step forward at a time towards the only goal he could ever strive for without regrets.
To be a hero. The Ally of Justice.
His feet stopped directly in front of Edward Valefor, and the silence seemed to stretch on for an eternity.
By now, neither Edward or the other High-Class Devils could move, petrified by fear, bodies festered with curses.
There was no resistance.
Not even when swords formed in the air and loomed overhead.
This was the privilege of power, a suppressing effect on others only amplified due to one important fact.
When God transcended worlds and arrived within the Grail in Shirou's world, God met the part of himself on the other side. The one who was an existence that was unparalleled even if its presence had grown minute over the eons. Much like Shirou and Archer, the two shared a resonance, memories shifting between one and the other. Powers, experiences, they could all be said to come from the same person, and yet there were differences.
The Lesser Keys of Solomon, and the one hailed as the Grand-Caster.
In God's world, God had granted the man known as Solomon 'wisdom,' and with it, Solomon made a pact between the Seventy-Two Pillars of the Underworld through mutual understanding.
In the other God's world where Shirou originally came from, Solomon had the means to 'control' the demons of the Ars Goetia. And this translated into a suppressive effect should the demons go against him.
The High-Class Devils before Shirou now weren't those original Demons, but they were descendants instead. Therefore, the effect was many times weaker. Yet it still existed.
The reason that Solomon was well known in both worlds, was that it didn't matter in which world it was. He was the sole human able to command the powers of the Ars Goetia.
King Solomon of Isreal.
And the God who gave Solomon that right was arguably within Shirou.
Edward and the other High-Class Devils didn't so much as let out a scream as the swords descended on them, taking away their lives.
In the end, it was already too late for them. The curses on their body had already rendered them immobile, and the suppressive effect, no matter how small, still had a phycological impact.
They didn't even know that they had died the moment they died.
A scream echoed out in the air.
Edward's sister lurched back in fear, her expression grief stricken and panicked. Her legs were trembling, and she was backing up from the crude line in front of her using her feet to push off the ground.
That crude line that he had once drawn had become something of extreme danger in Edward sister's eyes.
As Edward sister backed away, Shirou sighed before kneeling down and closing the eyes of the Devils he had slain. He never enjoyed killing, but he would do what was necessary.
He had to make sure that he thoroughly dissuades anyone from laying harm to the people he was protecting in this spot of land.
Yet such a thing could never be guaranteed. However, it didn't stop him from trying.
His eyes closed before he focused inwardly on himself, ignoring Edward's sister as she took off to flee into the air. He had other matters to take care of.
The magic seal that stemmed from him shone with a radiant luster.
Marbas, the president of Hell and He who teaches the mechanical arts. Brandished within the magic seal of house Marbas was a formation not known to any of Marbas's descendants, for its sheer complexity was not something that could be understood.
Yet through Shirou's eyes, the ground work was clear as day.
Trace on.
A schematic appeared within his head, lines of magical energy tracing that which led to the origin of one's creation. The basis of form projected clearly within his mind through his eyes gleaming with the light of magic.
Structural Analysis.
A spark exploded from within his head, giving birth to a means.
His hands clapped together, a thrum resounding within the magic seal around him as it rotated and expanded.
He who once governed the Legions as the President was tasked with the safety of those below him within the original Seventy-Two.
And this task manifested in the creation of the magic seal whose sole duty was not one of devestation and ruin, but of protection and insurance against all those who would harm its brethren.
Two pillars of demonic light shot up into the sky at the very edges of the magic circle which now stretched to encompass the entirety of the lands the user claimed as its own.
A gasp left Serafall's mouth, and even the others watching, for the sight was not something ever seen since the ages of old. For it wasn't just because of complexity that future descendants of Marbas were unable to utilize it, but requirements.
"Ig-Alima, Sul-Sagana,"
Divinity.
Monstrous swords came into existence, radiating a power that shocked many as they shot off into the pillars of demonic light around the boundary of the magic circle. One left a trail of fiery flames that reduced the land around it into smoldering rocks and ashes, and the other crushed everything flat with its immense size.
The two weapons were Divine Constructs, yet they weren't perfect. Rather, they were hollow knock-offs, but they still contained the divinity necessary.
When Sul-Sagana integrated with the pillar of demonic light, the pillar burst into dark flames that spewed bits and pieces of hellfire like spittle as the flames churned.
Ig-Alima was different, for it simply stood there erected, a mountain immovable as it merged with the demonic light, losing the properties that made it a mountain felling sword. Instead, it would be a protector.
The toll was something Shirou would have had never considered possible for him, but in this moment, it was for he had used the seemingly endless supply of energy he currently had.
The magic circle of Marbas shook violently, before a transparent wall of magical energy encompassed the entirety of the magic circle.
A barrier created from the divinity of two divine constructs and the intelligence of the Devil known to have taught mankind mechanical means.
The Demon of the original Seventy-Two who used captured Seraphim as a method to aid its kin.
Shirou had a deeper understanding of that Demon, for he understood it the moment he laid eyes on the magic circle around him.
The magic cricle's defensive abilities were unquestionable, giving him a piece of mind. Unlike the original Marbas, he didn't use the Divinity of Seraphim, but the Divinity of Divine constructs, therefore the barrier was weaker. However, it would be a folly to underestimate the strength of a magic barrier created from one of the original Seventy-Two Pillars.
All enemies would have no choice but retreat under it. For only those with the power equivalent to divinity could breach it. On top of that, he still needed one more push to prevent any thoughts of invasion out of the minds of others.
As the magic circle formed, Edward Valefor's sister had already escaped far into the distance, and yet, even where she was, she could see that resplendent barrier marking the lands of Marbas.
She shivered at the next moment, her hands pooling with cold sweat.
Because when she turned back, all she saw was a sky filled with swords, and the sharpest of all staring down at her without expression.
Those limpid bronze-coloured eyes struck a fear in her heart that would last for an eternity.
And at the same time, those that witnessed the scene, both inside and outside were unable to utter a sound.
It didn't matter if it was Serafall's followers, or the scouts sent by the Old Satan Faction observing in the distance, both were clear of one fact.
On this land protected by Swords, a Legend was born.
Shirou made sure that no enemies were around him before his expression faltered.
The strong body that seemed as sturdy as bed-rock caved, collapsing against the ground. The toll he had endured was not something that any other man could have had maintained. He was exhausted, and still he was unwilling to let go of his current form simply because others were relying on him.
He knew that he would eventually have to leave, and this was also why he had forced himself to activate the mechanism he had found within the magic seal of Marbas. And the key to activating that seal was currently with him in the form of a red jewel carved with the image of a lion in his palm.
Before he would leave to find the trail left behind by the Grail in this world, he would make sure to give the key to someone trustworthy.
Gasping for breath, he felt it when an arm wrapped around him to support him.
"Geeze, you, you're full of surprises, aren't you?" Serafall spoke.
His stature when compared to hers was far larger. Therefore, it was an odd sight with Serafall tucking herself into the crook of his arm and leveraging him up through it.
He was too disorientated to care.
Serafall grasped onto him tightly, the feeling of her hands was soothing as their cold seemed to dull the pain. The way her body seemed to fit snuggly against his as she was carrying him only caused him to relax further. Which was a bad thing as it was then that his mind fully registered the sheer anguish his body was enduring and blacked out.
"H-Hey, Kuro!" Serafall called out to him.
Silence was her answer.
She pursed her lips, noticing the way Kuro's head was dangling.
The power he used definitely had to come with a price. Serafall glanced at the magic barrier erected up in the sky encompassing the lands of Marbas, and then thought to what she had just seen.
This place, she soon realized, had most probably become one of the safest areas in the underworld. From where she stood, she could feel the immensity of the magic seal's strength, not to mention the two swords that seemed to fuel the barrier's power.
Despite the questions she had in her mind, she had no one to answer them.
Still, she smiled fondly at the Devil she was carrying over her shoulder. To put himself under such strain for other Devils of a Lower-Class, she doubted that she would find another Devil like this in her lifetime. Sure, other Devils like Sirzech's could do it, but generally they'd do so for someone that they wanted to protect, yet Kuro did so for strangers.
Thinking about him, she thought about the way he would choose to live in the wilderness for the safety of the residents under him. She thought of the way he would give his time to teach a child the way of the sword. And despite how impassive he looked, inside, she knew he was probably a big softy.
"M-My lady, this? He did this?" The voice of her masked attendant stopped her thoughts in place.
The masked Devil stepped out from the woods where he was observing the situation that had just occurred. Following the masked Devil were several other Devils that were loyal to the Sitri house.
"It's exactly as it looks," Serafall replied without missing a beat. "Kuro has a power that may not pale in comparison to Sirzech Gremory's."
A wryness entered Serafall's eyes in the next moment. "And for the sake of others, he would reduce himself to such a state to make a barrier to protect those behind him."
"And those swords," the masked Devil spoke reverently.
"And those swords," Serafall repeated exasperatedly. Even if those swords were powerful, she would rather focus on the righteousness of Kuro's actions. "Speaking of which, I had thought it was that Sacred Gear Sword Birth, but God granted Sacred Gears to humans. Its only been recently that Ajuka made the Evil Piece system to recruit those humans with Sacred Gears, so it's impossible that Kuro is in possession of one."
"Anything that comes from him is a mystery my Lady, however, one thing is fact," the masked Devil said. "The visage of Marbas, the President of the Seventy-Two Pillars was real."
As soon as those words escaped the masked Devil's mouth, the awe in everyone's faces couldn't be hidden. To start with, everyone present was a High-Class Devil or higher, meaning that even if Edward attacked, Serafall wouldn't have been in any danger. Yet the point of the matter was the education they received as High-Class Devils, something of which included the study of the original Seventy-Two Pillars. Therefore, they were all able to recognize the lion of the underworld's famous visage.
"The purity of his blood is almost equivalent to that of the original Marbas!" The masked Devil said in excitement. "Plus, the strength of this barrier…."
Wordlessly, Serafall nodded to the Devils around her who immediately understood her meaning. Thereafter, the masked Devil gave Serafall a knowing look with his eyes before moving to complete his task.
Serafall felt her mouth twitching just thinking about the way the masked Devil looked at her as if he knew what she was thinking. However, she shook her head to rid itself of such annoying thoughts to focus on the matter at hand.
Her brows furrowed.
Her clothes felt damp.
Pausing in her steps, she used a free arm to feel up her clothes, only to reel back when she stared at the liquid on her hand. It was to her horror that she realized that blood was leaking from Kuro's skin.
What kind of toll did Kuro have to endure?
Her eyes narrowed with determination, her pace increasing as she rushed off in the direction of the town that was developing.
Kuro needed rest, and she wouldn't allow him to rest in a forest with his injuries. Ignoring the blood on her, she immediately entered the town whose inhabitants consisted mainly of the locals under Marbas's rule.
Expectedly, a crowd was already gathered staring up at the barrier Kuro had created to protect them. Contrary to belief, the towns people weren't idle as Kuro fought. Instead, many had armed themselves with pitchforks, knives, and sticks, in hopes of assisting their Lord. After all, they were all Devils and they could feel the fluctuations of magical energy in the air from where Kuro fought.
At the forefront of the crowd stood Adelina with the wooden sword held firmly in her hands. It was clear to Serafall that the little girl was the first individual to instigate the formation of the crowd. She could even picture it as Adelina went from house to house asking others for help to help the Lord.
However, it was already too late as the battle ended far too quickly.
In fact, it wasn't even a battle as the High-Class Devils that had come were immediately overwhelmed from the start. Still, the state Kuro was in as a result was not something pretty.
When the towns people saw him, they stood rooted. Adelina seemed as if she was about to burst into tears. First it was her father that had left her, and now it looked like the kind Lord would too.
Immediately, the members of the crowd broke into action, many running over towards Serafall. Yet, one look from Serafall dissuaded them from trying to get Shirou out of her hands. After all, Serafall didn't even know the full extent of Shirou's injuries and didn't want to risk aggravating them by shifting his position.
Adelina stood directly in front of Serafall, looking lost as if she didn't' know what to do. Her large eyes were wide open, and there was a quiver in her lips. It seemed as if she was forcing herself not to cry.
Serafall patted her head. "He'll be fine," she said with determination. She then turned to those in the crowd. "Is there a place I can put him?" She inquired.
The others murmured amongst themselves before leading Serafall towards the current best building in the town. A small cottage-like home that contained a single bed positioned near a fireplace.
Lead inside, Serafall tentatively placed Shirou down before sighing when she realized that the other people were lingering within the room.
"He needs to rest," she told them. "It won't work very well if we all stay in here now will it?"
She had a point, and not many could argue with her. After all, the only reason they were still around was because they were concerned.
It started with one person leaving the room, before the others began to slowly follow. Each person that left would linger for a moment by the door, staring at Shirou before frowning and leaving.
One by one those people left, until Serafall took notice of the little girl that had sat herself next to Shirou's bedside clutching a wooden sword.
Serafall scratched at her neck before staring wryly at Adelina's mother who stood with a worried expression near her daughter.
In the end, no matter how much Adelina's mother tried to coax Adelina, Adelina refused to leave. As such, the mother could only apologize to Serafall before excusing herself to not make any trouble, asking Adelina to come home when she was able.
Adelina nodded stiffly, and soon it was only Adelina, Serafall, and Shirou in the room.
"He's not going to be going anywhere," Serafall shrugged her shoulders before sitting down in an available seat.
Adelina didn't reply back.
"Look, he's resting right now. That means he's going to be fine," Serafall said.
Adelina looked up from her position by the bed and her eyes were somewhat hollow.
"Mama said the same thing about papa, but papa's gone," was all Adelina said before glancing at the floor.
Serafall's cheek twitched, feeling as if she had nothing that she could say.
Serafall then shook her head before sighing. Standing up from where she had sat herself down, she began rummaging within the house for a clean rag. Finding nothing, she resolutely tore the hem of her clothing and pulled out an empty basin which she filled with water.
"What are you doing?" Adelina asked curiously.
Serafall raised a brow. "Kuro's covered in blood," she motioned towards Shirou. "I was going to wipe it off."
"Kuro?" Adelina seemed unused to the name.
"The person you call Lord Marbas," Serafall cracked a grin seeing the confusion on Adelina's face.
As soon as Serafall finished speaking though, Adelina's eyes immediately narrowed.
"That's too disrespectful. He's the young Lord!" Adelina insisted.
"And I'm not a Noble Lady?" Serafall asked incredulous.
Adelina paused and looked at Serafall up and down before replying.
"No," Adelina immediately said without pause.
You brat!
Serafall was smiling at the moment, but her aura was contrary to her expression. Adelina didn't seem to care.
"If you were a Noble too, you would have had helped us and Old Man Marbas," Adelina mumbled. "If you were a Noble, you should have had helped young Lord Marbas, not return him bleeding and beaten."
Serafall's lips thinned as she fell into silence. After all, how was she to explain that Kuro's injuries were a result of the power he used? She had nothing to do with it. Then again, she hadbeen capable of ending the matter with her own power, thus feeling a tad guilty and being unable to rebuke Adelina's words.
"Fine then," Serafall relented. "Just call me Serafall from now on."
Adelina nodded stiffly as Serafall proceeded to place the basin down next to Kuro.
Wringing out the cloth, Serafall then carefully began working around Kuro's wounds to clean off the blood.
This sort of action wasn't something a lady of Serafall's upbringing had ever practiced, making her a bit awkward as she worked to remove the blood and grime. However, she persisted and eventually wiped away the most of it under Adelina's eyes.
Once Serafall finished, she sat down again in contemplation while Adelina moved over to stare at Shirou.
"I told you he'd be fine," Serafall said. It was a relief on her part when she noticed that other than the blood on Kuro's body, there were barely any wounds.
Evidently, Adelina could see that, and the little girl finally let out a sigh of relief.
Thereafter, a seriousness appeared in Adelina's eyes as she moved towards the door of the house.
"Where are you going now?" Serafall asked curiously. There was just something about Adelina at the moment that Serafall had to admire for a girl her age.
"I'm going to train," Adelina said while holding out her wooden sword. "I swear that one day I'll be strong enough to fight and protect those I care about."
Her words said, Adelina silently closed the door behind her as the sounds of a sword cutting air echoed into the room.
Left alone, Serafall tapped her feet against the ground as she pondered to herself. Looking at Shirou for a long moment, she eventually snorted before her expression turned solemn.
Kuro's was a power that could change the very balance of the current Civil War just as much as Sirzech's had. But evidently, it wasn't something he should be continually using if his current state was anything to go by.
In the end though, Kuro was still the one who could make his own decisions. The only thing that mattered for her right now was what shewould do. She was needed in the war effort, and she had spent at least a week or more with Kuro. Not that she didn't enjoy her time observing him, but she had things she still needed to do. Obligations to fulfill.
Biting her lips, she glanced down at her feet before moving towards the door.
She needed to think.
By the time Shirou realized that something was wrong, he already found himself back within a familiar cave, a burning bush before him.
"Your recklessness isn't something to be admired, yet your spirit's in the right place," the bush spoke. "If you continue what you're doing now, you may change things that may have already occurred in the future."
"…" He had no words to speak for himself. His actions were enough.
"It's true that I know that it's impossible for someone like you to sit still and watch as something horrible happens in front of you, but I still have to remind you that things will change. Don't forget that we won't be staying in this timeline either. It's best if we can begin finding the traces left behind by the Grail at the site of my battle between the four Great Satans."
Shirou balled his hands into fists.
"I understand what you mean," he said stiffly. "But I can't just leave these Devils as they are either."
The flames around the bush twinkled as if approving of the answer. "And that is what makes you different from the rest. Very well, you may do as you wish, but know that it's you who must take responsibility for your actions. Are time is limited as I don't want my presence to be discovered, but at least I know where your priorities are."
Saying that, the world around Shirou began to shift while his body was once again overcome by the pain of All the World's Evil.
"Until next time," the burning bush said as the world faded away.
When next Shirou opened his eyes, he felt the softness of a bed beneath him and the stickiness of dried sweat over his skin.
Creasing his forehead, he propped himself up to discover that he was alone in a small house with little furniture. In fact, the most discerning thing within the premise was the fireplace which flickered with a dull orange.
Rubbing his temples, he swung his feet off of the bed and then pinched the bridge of his nose as a bout of dizziness struck him.
"My power isn't one that's easily used without the Holy guy's aura mitigating the pain," A dark voice spoke. "Though, you did well to tolerate it with the boost in power that King piece continued to output."
He winced when he moved his arms to pull the covers off of him.
"Careful, you were subconsciously reinforcing your body when you were passed out. However, your body was used to your regular amount of energy and not the exceedingly large amount your body is now filled with. As a result…"
The voice didn't have to continue as he could already understand that the energy he used to reinforce himself had surpassed the limits of his body. Therefore, bursting his blood vessels and causing him to bleed and injure himself in the first place.
Great, he thought. More pain.
"If you've suffered enough, you could always let go of this power." The voice reasoned.
"And have you bear it in the meantime?"
The voice didn't speak again, though no words needed to be said to convey the voice's sentiments. It was both confused and feeling an emotion it hadn't felt in ages, gratitude.
Shirou knew that the curses currently plaguing him had to be stored somewhere, and at the same time, it wasn't difficult to infer where and who had to bear them. And that particular person had suffered enough. So even if it was momentarily, he wanted to give that man rest.
Suddenly, his ears perked up at a particular sound.
With the way the wind created zipping noises, he realized that it was the sound of sword swings.
Getting up on his feet, he composed himself before steadily walking towards the door to check just who was practicing near him. That, and to thank the owner of this house for his accommodation.
Once he opened the door, the first sight he saw was Adelina's wide-eyed expression in the yard, and then to the swelling of her hands.
Even before he could speak, the little girl had darted towards him in an instant, sword left behind as she held onto his leg.
"Y-You're okay," she murmured.
He only nodded his head as a response, careful to make sure that he wouldn't give away the pain in his voice. However, no matter what, he had to voice an issue.
He knelt down and took Adelina's hands into his own.
Just as he had seen before, her hands were swelled, blisters forming on her palms from how long she must have been swinging her sword.
"Practice is one thing," he spoke. "But hurting yourself in the process is another."
He placed Adelina's hands down and stared at the little girl. "You must have your own reasons to be strong, but training to self-injury will never lead to anything worthwhile. You can train hard now, but tomorrow it'll be impossible to use your hands to train."
Adelina nodded her head before wiping her eyes.
Everything would be alright so long as the young Lord was okay. At which point, Adelina then remembered her mother who was probably still waiting at home for her.
"I, I have to go," she said rather reluctantly.
Looking at Adelina, Shirou simply ripped off a piece of his clothing before wrapping it around Adelina's hands.
"This should help with the pain," he explained as he put the wooden sword back into her hands. "Take better care of yourself. You can't rush the path to getting stronger."
Adelina took Shirou's words and stored it in her mind.
Fidgeting, she backpeddled a short distance away from Shirou before bowing. The gratitude she felt was not small, rather, it was too large for her to express. Therefore, she expressed it in the best way that she knew how.
"Thank you!" She said with a bow, her hands clasped by her side. "For training me, I don't know how I'll ever be able to repay you."
Shirou furrowed his brows when he realized that Adelina's words weren't just because of her gratitude. Rather, there was something more significant in it.
"Why must you thank me?" He asked in confusion.
Adelina glanced down, small hands calloused and blistered from swinging a wooden sword all day grasping tightly to the hem of her dress.
"Because I'm a Low-Class Devil."
Saying that, Adelina as though embarrassed, ran off back towards her home.
It didn't take him long to understand what Adelina meant after asking around.
For a Low-Class Devil, gaining strength and prestige wasn't something that was easy, it was almost impossible. The Rating Game Rias and Sona had once told him about for the Devil ranking system was not yet created. As such, the only ways for a Low-Class Devil to increase his or her class was through military achievement or fulfilling a substantial number of contracts with humans.
The latter option could take almost an eternity, and the former option was courting death for Lower-Class Devils. As such, most Lower-Class Devils like Adelina were commoners in the Underworld with no one having much expectations for their potential. As such, none would train them, for it was better to focus on those born with higher standing for they were naturally more inclined to a promising future.
With the Ranking System in the future, this was somewhat alleviated, but only the most talented of Low-Class Devils had the ability to be recruited into a High-Class Devil's peerage. Thus, the majority of Low-Class Devils would still remain as Low-Class Devils.
Admittedly, not all Low-Class Devils cared about advancing, content with just living out their lives, but there were many who did care. Not because they wanted to advance, but simply because they wanted to get stronger like Adelina for example.
Even if Adelina didn't admit it, he could already understand her need for strength. It was to be able to defend those that she cared about for if the Low-Class Devils always remained weak, then they would always be doomed under the hands of an oppressor.
The Civil War only made such matters more apparent, with many Low-Class Devils losing their lives from the fall out of the decisions of higher ranking Devils.
It wasn't right.
Looking around at the happy expressions on the people's faces, a sense of serenity filled him. Just like humans, everyone acted the same. They wanted to lead their lives without hardship and lay down the foundation for future generations. And this sort of scene in front of him was something worth protecting even if it meant changing the past.
Besides, with the barrier now up and maintaining itself, his worries about leaving had greatly subsided, and it would only be a matter of time now before his departure.
Furthermore, he was hopeful that the strong-front he delivered to the Old Satan Faction would heavily dissuade them from attacking anyway. There was just no gain to it. To breach the barrier, they would need a substantial amount of power, and to do so at the cost of the lives of Low-Class Devils? Most high rank devils wouldn't bother. More so when they had to consider the strength he had displayed to protect those Low-Class Devils.
Speaking of which, he wasn't the only one defending when Edward and the others crossed the crudely drawn line. Serafall was there as well.
When he had first woken up, he hadn't noticed it, but after walking around and observing, he realized that Serafall was nowhere to be found.
Strange.
With her personality, he was sure that the first face he would have had seen was her own looming over his with a smug kind of expression as she joked with him for passing out. Instead, she was gone.
Well, it was for the best he supposed. It wouldn't do to mix too deeply with characters like Serafall who would become important characters in the future. Going by his information, Sona was the younger sister of one of the future new four Great Satans, and that older sister was none other than Serafall herself. Therefore, he could already imagine what would happen if things went awry.
He shook his head.
Walking around the newly constructed town, it was with astonishment that he felt a sense of satisfaction in his heart when the others stared at him. After all, those stares conveyed their appreciation and gratitude for what he had done for them. Most of all, they were making the kind of expression a child would use when staring up at a personal hero.
And to them, he was there Hero.
Call it a small fulfillment of a child's dream, but he was immersed in the feeling. It was as if, more than ever, he felt that the path he was following was not something that was unattainable. All he would have to do was put in the effort.
Wordlessly, he integrated himself to begin working with the construction people to build more houses for those still living in make-shift tents. No matter how insistent the others were that a Devil such as himself shouldn't mix with them, they all fell silent when his impassive face glanced at them and dared them to argue.
He was already in enough pain, and helping others was his way of mitigating that pain. Standing around and wallowing in the intensity of All the World's Evil was never going to be one of Shirou's favorite pass-times. Instead, he immersed himself in both construction and food creation as he hunted day after day and subsequently cooked them.
As such, Serafall was astounded to hear the sounds of cheering when she eventually returned from her time thinking. Surprisingly, at her back was a literal sea of other Devils. From the power they emitted naturally, it was evident that they were all Low-Class Devils.
"We've brought them all my Lady," the masked Devil bowed along with several others.
"Good work," Serafall complimented. "With this, everyone should be safe."
It wasn't an exaggeration to say that the safest place in the underworld was the land of Marbas, and as such, she had gathered with her men all of the Low-Class Devils taking refuge in the other areas.
Serafall had been entertaining such a thought from the very moment she had laid eyes on the barrier surrounding the land. It wasn't activated right now, making it difficult for the other Lower-Class Devils she had brought to feel a sense of comfort, but they trusted her all the same.
"Begin the preparations," Serafall said in a pleasant mood as her nose twitched. "He's cooking right now, I can guarantee it."
"Understood," the Devils under Serafall spoke before leaving.
The only one's left in the area were Serafall and the other Low-Class Devils who were murmuring amongst each other.
The majority of them just couldn't understand it. From the sounds emitted from the town up ahead in the land of Marbas, it was clear that they were celebrating joyous occasions. Yet, how was that possible with the Civil War going on between the Old and New Satan Factions?
Even just remembering how life was for the Lower-Class Devils in other areas brought a somberness into the air; for that kind of life was simply too hard to cope with. Day by day, they feared a possible attack, never knowing when it was actually safe to go about their lives.
How could the difference between shelters be this large?
All the new Lower-Class Devils shifted their gazes on Serafall, curiosity evident in their eyes.
"Well, what are you all waiting for?" Serafall said gesturing for them to move onward. "I know the Devil in charge of this place. He's a very nice guy, and if we don't hurry, I'm certain the food will all be eaten up."
Saying that, a seriousness appeared in Serafall's eyes as her pace immediately increased. "Don't say I didn't warn you!" She called back in irritation when the Devils behind her stood rooted in place, stupefied.
It was only when they noticed Serafall leaving that they composed themselves enough to chase after her. And when they did, that was when the smell hit their noses. A mixture of fine spices and roasted meat all wrapped together into a single scent that caused mouths to water.
"S-She said food, didn't she?" One of the Lower-Class Devils clarified. When the others nodded, there was a small pause before the crowd burst into a sprint.
Food.
Just food alone was enough of a motivation to move forward. More often then not, the shelters they were forced to hide in only had a limited supply of food the people within could eat. Therefore, it was always rationed and resulted in constant hunger pangs.
With free food apparently waiting before them, there was no need for hesitation. Low-Class Devils as they were though, there was no way that they were able to keep up with Serafall's speed. As time past on, they lagged further and further behind, however, they wouldn't need to run further.
Up ahead, the sight of a small town could be seen. Many of the buildings and infrastructure seemed to be under construction, but they seemed sturdy enough. More importantly, everyone's gaze shifted towards the meat roast happening at the central plaza.
At the plaza, Serafall could already be seen scarfing down food at the side while the cook in question seemed to be staring at her in exasperation; though it was hard to tell with the way his expression barely shifted.
The noise of the crowd's approach wasn't lost to the local inhabitants who paused in their merry making to stare.
The crowd of foreign Low-Class Devils staggered to a halt as they stared at each other awkwardly, not knowing if they were welcome or not.
Shirou noticed this immediately before sending another glance at Serafall who shrugged her shoulders, intending to pass him the burden.
This woman. If Shirou's face could twitch, it would definitely be twitching at the moment. He knew that it was odd that Serafall had disappeared, and it seemed as if she'd used the time to gather more Devils towards his location. Granted, it was probably because she knew that he would accept them regardless.
In harsh times, people needed to band together. However, it was always difficult on first encounters.
The locals in the land of Marbas didn't know how to react to the sudden arrival of numerous other Devils, but they wouldn't have to think for long.
Slowly, Shirou cut off a piece of meat from the roast and wordlessly arrived in front of the new Low-Class Devils.
"Eat," he said, passing the piece forward.
His actions were so smooth and natural that the other Low-Class Devils didn't know how to react in their stupor.
"What are you all waiting for?" Serafall called out to them in the distance. "That's the Lord of the land who gave you the food. It would be rude if you didn't eat it, no?"
"Aah?"
The Low-Class Devil Shirou had passed the food to stood with his mouth agape before tears welled in his eyes. "Thank you for your graciousness, Lord."
Shirou shook his head. "There's no need for the use of Lord. I'm no different from any other Devil. I'm just a man named Marbas. Now eat up, all of you."
Saying that, Shirou ignored the reverent expressions appearing on the Low-Class Devils faces to focus on a more important matter. He needed to hunt at least a couple more animals to roast for food with all the new Devils. Even from where he stood, it was a literal sea of Devils in front of him, and all were looking for food.
He sighed helplessly as he glared at Serafall with his eyes. A little warning could have had helped, but no. Out of everyone, he could already deduce who would be eating the most anyway.
Still, there was no use in fussing over something that's already passed. Taking a breath, he ran towards the open fields looking for more food to feed the newcomers.
A minute or so after he had left, Serafall glanced down at the Devils she had brought and grinned.
"I told you he was nice for an Ultimate-Class Devil," she said.
"U-Ultimate-Class?"
Everyone was astounded, and that included the local residents who had only believed Shirou to be a High-Class Devil. What made it even more surreal was that an Ultimate-Class Devil was serving Low-Class Devils.
Serafall nodded appreciatively. Old Man Marbas had raised a good son.
"More than just him treating everyone like an equal, with him around, you all won't have to worry about your safety. He may look like a tough man now, but he becomes even fiercer in the battlefield. He's a literal Monster," she shivered when she recalled the sheer power that had washed over her. "Definitely a monster."
And yet, he was a gentle one. One who cared about others more than he did himself. Just to activate a barrier and ward away danger, he reduced himself to a bloody mess.
His actions, and what she had seen were the biggest reasons why Serafall had taken such a long time to think. However, she had already come to a decision. When she was called upon by her friend Sirzech's to help in the warfront, she had refused much to Sirzech's confusion. She didn't bother explaining it to Sirzech simply because Sirzech wouldn't understand anyway.
Kuro, he, he was a Devil like none other, and she had decided on risking it all on a gamble.
She absently sunk her teeth into the food she was eating and the explosion of flavour once again caused her to melt. This taste was something definitely worth dying for even if it was unhealthy for her to eat so much.
Important matters aside, she would wait until Kuro was alone to discuss it with him and that time would come sooner rather than later.
After Shirou returned with more food and subsequently cooked it for all the Devils present, many of the Devils in the area began to doze off in content. There weren't enough accommodations for all of them, but many had no complaints as they just leaned their backs against a tree and rested.
In this time, Serafall made her move.
Walking slowly towards Shirou, she motioned with her fingers for him to follow her much to his confusion.
"Say, Kuro," Serafall began slowly as the two walked in the silence of the evening. "Do you know what those other Devils are calling you?"
"No," Shirou replied curtly. He hadn't bothered listening to others over throwing himself into work to keep his mind off of the pain.
"They call you a hero," she said softly. "Someone they wouldn't hesitate to fight for because you wouldn't hesitate to fight for them."
Shirou remained silent, knowing that Serafall seemed to have many things she wanted to say.
She scratched her head after fiddling with her beret, the action carrying a certain femininity to it in the dimness of the evening.
"You know, if you asked them to fight for you, or do anything for you, they wouldn't even waver to fulfill your wishes," she remarked. "Just from the number of Devils you have under you right now, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that this was the start of a new Faction in the underworld."
Shirou raised a brow. He had no intention of starting anything like what Serafall was saying. All he wanted to do was create a place where those seeking shelter could receive shelter. Before he could voice anything though, Serafall continued.
"Yet those under you are currently weak, and you won't be around to protect them forever."
His mouth closed as Serafall was right.
"As such, the only way to protect them is to stop the source of all this violence and fighting. This barrier you set up is strong, but in the end, space will be limited and the enemies outside can only grow stronger." Serafall paused in her steps.
He followed her example.
Slowly, Serafall turned around to face him, her expression somber as she dipped her head.
"You are strong," she admitted openly. "Strong enough to change things; to help end this situation where fellow Devils fight fellow Devils. I, I want your help," she said.
Shifting her head to the side, she peered up at the clouds while dim rays of moon light filtered in through the forest canopy.
"I, I'm going to be an elder sister," she said, using a finger to twirl a strand of her hair. "And this isn't the underworld I want my sister to be born. She deserves better than this. I know it's selfish of me when your power may injure you, but please,"
She bowed, hands clasped around her as she closed her eyes. "I need your help to create an underworld my sister can be proud of!"
There was a silence as Shirou stared at Serafall. No doubt, this was the best example of the love an older sibling had for their younger siblings.
As such, Serafall was a superb elder sister, and Sona was lucky for that in the future.
"Raise your head," he said, the tone of his voice failing to give anything away.
Serafall looked up at him, her eyes determined. He would respond in kind with his own answer.
"Pitting one's beliefs against others, one fights with the will to persevere and die for that cause because it's something that they believe in. This is the premise of the entire civil war occurring right now. You would die fighting for the cause you believe in, and so too would those on the Old Satan Faction's side. However, what about them?"
Shirou clenched his fists as he gestured with his hands toward the townsfolk in the distance.
"Will they die believing in a just cause, or simply because they're powerless to do anything even as small as voicing their own thoughts? They're Low-Class Devils, they don't have to ability to fight."
"My fight isn't about whose side I fight for, or a difference in views and ideologies," he began. "I simply fight for those who suffer from the fall out."
Low-Class Devils.
It was a term he had heard first from Adelina, and it just didn't sit right with him. Everyone should have the same amount of opportunity.
"They call themselves Low-Class Devils. They bow their heads and work tirelessly for those of higher standing yet in the end are caught in the crossfire without remorse. And I'm sure that many Devils such as yourself do feel remorse, but not enough of them do."
Even if he wasn't from this time line, and even if he wasn't actually a Devil, he was determined to change things simply because he had the ability to. Man, Devil, Angel, it didn't matter, they were all the same in Shirou's eyes. People to be saved.
Un-clenching his fists, Shirou gazed at Serafall, his bronze-coloured eyes shining with a dull light that instantly captivated Serafall in their intensity; for a firm decision had been made within that tranquil gaze.
"You asked me to fight with you for an underworld your sister can be proud of?" Shirou spoke while shaking his head. "I'm afraid I'll have to decline, because the underworld I fight for is an underworld all devils can be proud of."
He who would a save all. Marbas the Unfathomable. A Devil more akin to a Saint.
Closing his mouth, Shirou stared impassively at Serafall before turning his head and walking back towards the direction of the town.
Serafall was stunned, her heart beating rapidly in her chest as the words Shirou spoke resounded in her mind like a drum. Her cheeks flushed, her head blank.
This-This kind of man.
An underworld in which all Devils can be proud of.
Her mouth closed, her lips thinning in wonder as her eyes trailed Shirou's silhouette as he walked off.
A Devil like none other.
A true Hero of the underworld.
She closed her eyes while her hands balled into fists.
Even if it was just a little bit, she was starting to believe.
To believe in this Devil different from the rest.
Because through him, she could see an underworld worth fighting for.
The underworld that he would create.
Thanks for Reading! And thanks to my newest patrons!: The Patron, Belphegor, Mohd R, Shadows, John F, Lionly, and Francisco S!
P a treon. com (slash) Parcasious