39

Standing amidst the turbulent waters, the grip he had around the Trident of Poseidon tightened as the waves bent to his will and receded.

Clouds formed overhead, tendrils of writhing lightning illuminating the horizon like a palpable and billowing rage.
He could already speculate how the Gods could be reacting at the moment, and it wasn't as if he hadn't thought about it.
You're the trump card, Kuro. Give them a reason to stay.
The words Serafall had spoken to him prior surfaced in his mind, making him all the more determined. He was the trump card: The one factor both Heaven and the Underworld had placed their trust in. For that reason alone, he knew that the moment he revealed his identity as the Leader of the Religion of the Bible, was the moment all cards would be laid down on the table. Therefore, he couldn't act recklessly until the opposite party revealed their own hands.
If that meant revealing a few things about himself, then so be it. Besides, he had relied on the strength of others enough times to count, making him almost forget that he too had his own personal abilities. Ones that he could rely on to not only draw the attention of the Gods, but to make them consider the benefits of joining an Alliance too.
He was gambling presently and he knew it, but risks were never things he thoroughly considered; something he quickly realized he had to change when he noticed the worry flash across Serafall and the others eyes.
How could they not have been worried? The ramifications of what he had just done was not lost on anyone.
A Weapon of the Gods created by mortal hands.
He inwardly shook his head before his mouth curved downwards, watching the Kraken at the center of his gaze grow more and more restless as it gradually understood that he was not, in fact, Poseidon.
But did that matter?
An azure luster reflected from his sclera, a voice calling from the deep.
The sound of whales and raging tides.
Of swirling eddies and surging waves.
He was the sea, and the water was him.
His domain to command.
Crafted from the hands of the Cyclops, the Trident of Poseidon was one of three weapons bestowed upon the sons of Rhea in their war against the Titans. Weapons of divinity congealed into material form that acted as conduits of a God's power.
In his hands, its might was no different.
He pointed it downwards, the waters surrounding the Kraken clasping over it like a clenched fist steadily increasing its grip.
The Kraken dared not move any longer, the apprehension in its expression causing it to subconsciously rein itself in, its monstrous body adopting a submissive posture.
It was only then that he eased the flow of divinity funneling through Poseidon's Trident, his attention shifting elsewhere as he sensed the massive fluctuation occurring in the air. It was time.
He would have had been surprised if the spectating Gods didn't react to what he had just done, only the God that arrived first wasn't who he was expecting.
Rather than Zeus, Ruler of Olympus, it was Poseidon, Greek God of the Sea.
Staring at him, he felt the Trident in his hands exude a type of resonance akin to recognizing its owner. The problem was however, it identified two. It thrummed, sending vibrations up and down his arms while emitting an iridescent jade-azure light that immediately caused Poseidon to frown.
If he could feel that the Trident in his hands distinguished him as one of its wielders, then it was impossible for Poseidon not to notice.
"How is this possible?" He murmured.
An invisible pressure descended down on the area, and Poseidon became even more convinced of his observations when a barrier of divinity from the Trident erected itself protectively over Shirou.
Poseidon's brows furrowed before he ceased exuding out his aura and extended an open hand out instead.
Shirou understood what Poseidon was intending immediately. In fact, it was actually something he was hoping for.
"A gift," he said curtly, tossing the Trident in his palms to Poseidon who quickly caught it.
Without the Trident in his possession, he was no longer able to will the Ocean to his whims and subsequently, the Kraken took note of this, glaring at him with murderous intentions. Its lumbering body tore through the water, attempting to lunge at him and swallow him within its open maw.
However, would he have simply handed over Poseidon's Trident without at least understanding the principles of the God of the Sea? Impossible. Having traced Poseidon's Trident, he was confident that he thoroughly understood Poseidon's temperament with the history he had seen.
"Enough," Poseidon said sternly, waving the Traced Trident in the air along with his original.
The effect of using two identical Tridents pleasantly surprised even Poseidon.
The seas surged in a storm of relentless tidal waves, the aura imbued within the waters amplified and it wasn't just a multiplicative factor of two. What should have been a hundred-foot wall of crushing water had become a thousand-foot wall with spurting jets of seafoam that enshrouded the Kraken within.
"T-This," Poseidon didn't even know what to say as he stared down at the Traced Trident.
He could feel it. The Aura of the Sea. The Might of the Earthshaker.
When compared to his original Trident, he was stunned to realize that there was no difference despite how unimaginable it sounded. After all, his Trident was created from the hands of the Cyclops using materials that no longer existed within the world. Materials that only existed in the times of the Primordials and in the Great War of Olympus.
This fact wouldn't be lost on Zeus and Hades when they eventually arrive and sense the authenticity of the power stored within the Traced Trident. If just one Trident, a Bolt, and a Crown was enough for the brothers of Rhea to stand as equals in power with Zeus as the strongest, then what did it mean for him now to be in possession of Two Tridents?
Past ambitions filtered through his mind, but he swiftly quelled them.
This was a gift towards him whose value was priceless.
Without much consideration, Poseidon did something he had never thought he would do again for any mortal since the end of ancient Greece and its heroes.
"May the waters of the Earth bless you in their providence," a jade luster sprung forth from Shirou as Poseidon pointed both Tridents upon him. "By the name of Poseidon, the Earth shall tremble in your steps, the turbulent seas shall still at your descent."
Serafall and the others who were watching stood rooted, Poseidon's sudden actions too swift to react to that by the time they composed themselves, it was already over.
"The blessing of Poseidon be upon thee, and let none dare impede your path."
Poseidon's tone was solemn, a vow sealed with words of iron. The last mortal he had ever blessed with his providence was Theseus, and Theseus became rooted in civilization itself. The Human before him may not be directly related to the Greek pantheon, but the disposition he could feel from him was not unlike the Heroes of old.
He would take his impulsive actions as a simple whim, but the fact that he was immensely satisfied with Shirou's gift also had to be taken for consideration.
Of course, Poseidon also took account the notion of Shirou being able to create more Tridents, but with his blessing, did it matter if a child of the Sea wielded a weapon of the ocean? Besides, not only did the Traced Trident acknowledge Shirou as one of its wielders, but the fact that his original was beginning to as well spoke volumes.
"You may return," Poseidon said in a more intimate tone as he willed Shirou back to where Serafall and the others were standing. "Meanwhile, I'll help deal with the one throwing a tantrum."
Instantly, a bolt of lightning nearly struck Poseidon where he stood, the man smiling wryly.
"A tantrum?" A thunderous voice resounded as Zeus appeared from the opening Poseidon had created.
He was an imposing looking man whose white beard and robes trembled in his agitation. Following behind him were Hades and the other Gods from the Pantheons.
"You've grown bold, brother," Zeus said calmly before his mouth drooped downward upon feeling for himself the presence of the 'Fake' Trident in Poseidon's hand.
Like many of the Gods who had seen Poseidon reveal the original in his possession, they assumed that the one Shirou had made could only be a Fake paling in comparison. Clearly, they were wrong as the expression on Zeus's face gradually stiffened before turning sharply in Shirou's direction.
If Shirou could create Poseidon's Trident with such accuracy, didn't that mean that the same could be done with his Master Bolt or Hades' Crown? No, more than that, could the mortal do the same with Divine Constructs of the other Gods?
The thought was maddening, more so when Zeus and the other Gods considered that their treasured possessions could be in the hands of a mortal in the Faction of the One God.
The mortal would basically be a walking amalgamation of the all the World's Religions in one.
A trace of decisiveness flashed across Zeus's eyes along with the other ruling Gods, Ra, Nuwa, and the rest.
Poseidon noticed immediately.
"Be lenient, brother," Poseidon was swift to say. "And the rest of you as well. You are all thinking of the bad, and not of the good. Did the Religion of the Bible not invite us all here to have Alliance talks for a reason? It was just us that refused to hear them out thinking them to be weak and with no benefits to be gained."
Poseidon's words gave Zeus pause. Arrogant as he was, it didn't mean he didn't have a stable mind. The benefit Poseidon spoke of was already evident in the fake Trident in Poseidon's hands.
Admittedly, it was a tactical move on Shirou's part. He had wanted to give the Trident to Poseidon after discussing it inwardly with God. After all, there were only benefits to be gained. Not only did it result in a favourable impression from Poseidon, but it also increased Poseidon's strength against the Trihexa and planted a wedge amongst the Gods to reveal that there were positives in joining in on an Alliance.
The thought alone was enough, and seeing a God like Zeus actually contemplating it, made Shirou feel as if the gamble he had taken was correct. Besides, Poseidon's blessing was an unexpected boon.
Around him, he could see the way Sirzechs and the others were staring at him questioningly, but he simply gestured and explained that he would tell them later.
It was in the stretching silence that a voice soon interjected Poseidon's statement apathetically.
"Do we need to lower ourselves and mull over something we can take by force, brother?" Hades directed a hollow gaze at Poseidon whose lips thinned, unable to reply.
Surely if the One God were still alive then it would be a different matter, but with the One God dead along with the Demons of the Underworld, what did the Gods have to fear but the system the One God had left behind?
Poseidon frowned as the other Gods began to murmur to themselves.
"I have given that mortal my blessings. I will not allow you all to harm him," Poseidon eventually said.
Hades nodded before he turned to Zeus. "Your thoughts, brother?"
It was evident that Zeus was pondering over Hades' words, however what none of the Gods understood was just who they were planning on attacking.
Inside of him, Shirou could feel an immense Divinity threatening to burst from within him. God could tolerate many things, pardon any sins, but to listen as the lives of his followers were belittled wasn't something his past self would generally tolerate.
However, God wasn't the only one growing outraged.
The entire dimension began to tremble, fissures forming in the air in the form of white cracks that only continued to grow, startling all.
"Although we've yet to show our might,"
A distorted voice, deep and resonating echoed out.
Following it was a dense acclimation of black pillars suffused with an energy that threatened to annihilate existence itself. It wasn't an existence that could be considered either mortal or immortal, it was simply just a raging dark inferno in the form of a human.
He who took the name of the Angel that fell form the Heavens in the book of Isaiah.
An abnormality amongst Devils never before seen.
And he who bore the title of Lucifer, Great Satan of the Underworld
"Do you all really think our Faction is weak?"
Sirzechs Lucifer growled, the sheer intensity of his presence causing even Hades to falter understanding that if Sirzechs released such a power in his own realm, then the throne built near the river Styx would sooner crumble than contain it.
Sirzechs's current display was a surprise for many of the Gods. His power, although not yet at the level of a Demon was comparable to a High-God on Hades' level. Only Zeus and the other leaders of their pantheons remained composed if only because their juniors were present.
"We invited you over not so you can judge us, but to consider working for an Alliance with us. If you only think to profit from us, then I beckon you all to die trying!"
Hades' expression became ugly, a fiery light glowing from within his hollowed sockets, but fading as he wasn't confident in a fight. The meaning of his silence caused the minor Gods in attendance to shy away from Sirzechs's piercing gaze.
"There will be no need for such a thing," Nuwa stepped forward to mediate as she noticed that Zeus had put himself in a difficult position. He being unable to account for his earlier intentions without taking a blow to his pride. "We will continue with our prior arrangements, but perhaps with the power you've shown already, these trials are no longer needed."
Many of the minor and mid Gods agreed with Nuwa's words but a few were stubborn amongst the Higher Gods.
"They have yet to pass our trial," Ra insisted. "By saying that they've shown enough strength, are you implying that they possess enough power to host this Alliance meeting and become its Head, Nuwa?"
Nuwa stared at Ra in the same way she did when she looked at Zeus when he was boasting. Flatly.
"And you think such a position should belong to you?"
Zeus, stared fixedly at Ra from the side at Nuwa's question.
"Naturally," Ra said. "The Light of the Sun can pave away all."
Zeus glared, feeling as if he was provoked. However, before Zeus could even say a single word, Hera gave him a thorough glower before gesturing towards Sirzechs.
The aura exuding from him was rising rapidly such that Apollo and Artemis who were nearby had no choice but to release their own auras to protect against it.
"The Light of the Sun can pave away all you say?" Sirzechs' palms balled into fists. "Then shall we have a duel for your trial, Egyptian? My power of Annihilation against your Sun?"
Ra balked for a moment when he stared at Sirzechs, but he was quick to reassure himself. Sirzechs may appear imposing, but was he a God? The answer was no. Therefore, Ra believed that his ability to use Faith was more than enough to compete along with his other Godly abilities.
"Very well," Ra accepted. "The battle will be held tomorrow. This world of water is unsuitable."
Poseidon took offense, but he held himself back, more curious not about the match Sirzechs would have, but with what other surprises Shirou may bring in the following days.
A flash of light was all that indicated the groups return from the magic circle, following which, Sirzechs reined in his power and assumed his previous appearance. The others around finally felt the pressure on their shoulders lightening.
"Sorry," Sirzechs apologized, scratching his temple with a finger. "It seemed as if things were getting out of hand, and I didn't want the other Gods to look down us."
For once, Gabriel actually smiled at Sirzechs and approved of a Devil's behaviour.
"If you hadn't then I would have," she said righteously, a hand resting over her chest to convey her earnesty while subtly glancing at Michael.
Michael gave no indication of disapproval, meaning that he wouldn't have stopped her had she acted which was contrary to Michael's neutral disposition. The reason was most likely because the other Gods were not only harbouring untoward intentions towards the Bible Faction, but because they were doing so in the presence of the one Michael cared for the most.
Kind as Michael was, it couldn't be denied that there was a side of him that could be ruthless. It showed in the Great War of the Factions and was simply buried within him, triggered only due to his love of the Father. In that regard, she didn't lose out one bit.
Different from how Sirzechs, Ajuka, and the rest were reacting, Xenovia, Irina, and Serafall had a different opinion.
"That was dangerous Kuro," Serafall admonished, pursing her lips. "Your putting yourself at the center of attention of numerous Gods."
Xenovia and Irina nodded.
"You may be able to deal with one or three Gods simultaneously, b-but all of them?" Irina stuttered. "It's too much."
He remained silent at the face of their concern, unable to explain the warmth budding from within his chest. It was a feeling that was hard to describe, perhaps the closest being the value of his own life.
"Trust me," he said, staring into their eyes. "I promise that if it gets too dangerous, I'll find a way to keep safe."
Gradually, Irina nodded before Xenovia followed suite. The trust they had for him extended all the way back to when they first met together in the Holy Sword Trails. He had led them, and in the end, had still found a way to return to them safe. If it was him, they believed that he would always be able to work something out.
For Serafall however, it was different. She had seen him die once before, a type of trauma planted within her at that moment. She was both scared and apprehensive. If he died in front of her again, she didn't know what she would do. It was even more difficult for her to accept when she recalled how selfless Kuro was in the Underworld. A part of her was warning her that with Kuro's personality, he may very well put himself into more danger.
He noticed Serafall's anxiety instantly, but had no words he could use to explain that a part of him had already changed. Unlike before, he now knew that his life had meaning, a price to it that was invaluable from the perspective of another.
But what could he say or do to convey the sentiment?
He had nothing but empty reassurances.
Therefore, he could only remain silent watching the way Serafall's lips curved up into a wistful smile, neither believing nor doubting and it was the fault of his own actions.
Regret was a word he had never thought to consider before, yet perhaps it explained the stiffness of his movements; the way he couldn't stare her in the eye and say that a similar situation wouldn't happen again.
Yet, it was the personality of the Kuro Serafall knew.
The man who had changed the future of the Underworld at the beckoning of an idealistic young woman fighting for a world in which her little sister could be proud of.
The sincerity and depth of those bronze coloured eyes was the same then as it was now.
"It's fine," she said, glancing away with a sigh filled with untold emotion. "This time I'll be there to share the burden."
He stared up at her, but before he could say anything else, she had already walked away to steady her resolve. She wasn't like Sirzechs, a being powerful enough to force the Gods of the other pantheons to acknowledge him, therefore, what she had to do was train. To get to a level where she had the right to stand by his side.
Perhaps it was a connection between woman vying for the same man, but rather than him understanding what it was Serafall went to do first, it was Xenovia and Irina who wordlessly followed Serafall in comprehension.
Left alone, he realized that of the people who had gone with him to the dimension created by Poseidon, only Sirzechs, Michael, and Ajuka were left. Gabriel having snuck of when he wasn't looking and trailed after Serafall.
Sirzechs looked at him, then shifted his gaze helplessly towards Ajuka then to Michael before shrugging.
"Women," he said knowingly. "Sometimes I realize that there was truth in Falbium's words in the Civil War all those years ago."
Ajuka cracked a smile from his neutral face. "Can anyone other than me still remember you with your beard?"
"Falbium," Sirzechs responded quickly. "Oh God, he was actually right about something other than war."
Michael furrowed his brows while listening in, but found that he didn't follow with anything being said.
"Well, if you'll pardon my interruption, I thought we were supposed to address how Shirou recreated the Trident of Poseidon?" Michael interjected.
The sudden reminder caused Sirzechs and Ajuka to turn towards Shirou for an explanation. The matter of him Tracing Poseidon's Trident was coincidently cast aside in favour of the concern Serafall and the others had for him. But it wasn't as if he was intending on hiding his abilities from allies.
He extended a hand outward.
"It's called Tracing," he said as a sword materialized in his hand from mots of blue light. "It allows me to recreate any weapon I've laid my eyes on down to the composition of its craft and the skill of its wielder."
Silence.
No words were necessary to explain the depth of what his Tracing entailed. If there was a ranking for the best weapons specialist, he would surely be at the top. Yet even then, Tracing Divine Constructs was on another level entirely.
"T-Then Gungnir?" Sirzechs stammered out, recalling the visage of the All Father.
A spear appeared in his palm, radiating a fierce and indominable Divinity.
"Vasavi Shakti?" Ajuka questioned.
Another flash of light.
"Gae Bolg."
"The Kusanagi Sword?"
"…"
Regardless of what weapon either Michael, Sirzechs, or Ajuka proposed, he would simply recreate its image using the memories God had of the weapons he had seen the other Gods wield in his lifetime.
By the end of it, Sirzechs and the others were stunned, not even noticing when he left due to the cat-paw ornament Kuroka had given him activating.
Not wanting to expose his interaction with Kuroka, he bade a silent farewell and left to search for a secluded area near the building housing the Young Devil's Gathering where the magic circle was set near.
He didn't have to walk very far, rather he was unable to before the cat-paw ornament released a tiny glowing magic circle.
"Can you hear me?" Kuroka's voice echoed out clearly, as he decided that hiding within a bush in the estate was good enough.
"Can you not have picked a better time?" He asked, brushing away the twigs and leaves that clung onto him.
"Contrary to your belief, now is the best time."
There was a pause on Kuroka's end of the line as a muffled sound of rustling clothes and faint grunts of exertion resounded.
"Sorry," she apologized a moment later in a minor fluster. "I just had to squeeze through a tiny opening and my b- never mind. Forget I said anything. I just got stuck was all."
He pretended that he didn't hear the indignance in her voice and cut right to the point.
"How do you expect me to distract the people guarding the Young Devil's Gathering anyway?" He asked. Unfortunately, he wasn't expecting such a confident reply.
"If it's you, there shouldn't be any problems," Kuroka said. "I'll carry out my end of the agreement and drop by to meet up with you when this is over. Bye~."
"Hey hold on!" He raised his voice, drawing the attention of a few younger Devils who couldn't understand why it was that they were imagining that a bush was speaking.
His lips thinned as he frowned.
If its you, then there shouldn't be any problems?
What did she mean if it was him? It wasn't as if he was some kind of walking disaster. In fact, most times he'd prefer to remain low profile, granted his track record didn't give one much confidence.
Underwent a Trial by the Church, incurred a massive debt. Check.
Went to Kuoh Academy, nearly destroyed it in a confrontation. Check.
Became the Hero of the Underworld, ruined a young woman's love life. Check.
Young Devil's Gathering, …He didn't want to think about it. It was just the surety of Kuroka's tone that caused his mouth to twitch.
He wasn't some kind of walking neon light, was he?
In his frustration with the way his life was going, he inadvertently stood up from where he was crouching behind the bushes to come face to face with another acquaintance. The bush itself was one of many that lined the way to the entrance of the building hosting the Young Devil's Gathering, so naturally his sudden emergence from one of those bushes would attract attention. In this case, it was a crowd incessantly following behind a very familiar cold-faced lady.
The crowd itself didn't react to him, the many young Devils of Aristocratic families present even openly scorning him without knowing who he really was. Unfortunately, the lady they were following and fawning over was different.
She was staring right at him without blinking, her gaze as a sharp as a drawn sword.
A-Adelina.
The name flashed in his mind before he took off running into the building hosting the Young Devil's Gathering. No words needed to be said about Adelina's popularity in the Underworld. If she made her way to him now, and knowing her personality, it would cause an uproar. He understood that it would have the desired effect Kuroka would need for her operation, but a part of him didn't want to prove Kuroka right. Instead, what he wanted to do was just simply request the nearby guards to draw back in a normal fashion.
Unknown to him, from the moment Adelina spotted him, her composure broke as she attempted to make a mad dash only to be obstructed by the crowd around her.
"Lady Adelina, if that beggar of a man from before has offended you, let us deal with such a roach," A young Devil scoffed. To be truthful, he was like many of the young men and women present attempting to persuade Adelina to join their peerage. More than that, he was in the denomination of young Devils that were infatuated with Adelina the Sword Devil.
Upon hearing the young Devil's words, the other Devils immediately grew heated, assuming that they'd found a way to finally break through Adelina's frigid defenses. After all, no matter what they or their families offered Adelina, not once had her expression ever shifted. Yet when she saw a man that looked no different from a beggar with twigs and leaves clinging onto his hair and clothes, her expression finally faltered.
Different from what the young Devil's perceived as a beggar, what Adelina saw was a memory of the Demon who would rather sleep in the forest than trouble even low-class Devils to house him. Her lips trembled, recalling the way he used to look at her, back leaning against a tree, and body riddled with dirt and grime. That was her Lord, her light in the War.
Steadily, her rage began to mount, dousing the enthusiasm of the young Devils around her like a bucket of cold water with the iciness of her tone.
"How. Dare. You."
Meanwhile, Shirou himself was constantly looking behind him to make sure that Adelina hadn't followed. With her speed as an Ultimate-Class, it was weird that she wasn't nearby, and he was certain of it.
He was unsure of what the blessing of Poseidon had done to him, but it was like he could feel the vibrations in the ground, and none matched the steady rhythm of Adelina's stride.
Good. It was better this way.
All he had left to do was find a guard in charge of security and request for the other guards to come for a meeting. It shouldn't be too difficult of a plan considering that they probably wouldn't go against him if he hinted at his identity.
With that in mind, he began walking in search of a guard outpost, only to feel the tremor of soft footsteps behind him.
"Shirou, is that you?"
He turned around to see Sona standing behind him with her arms crossed. Oddly enough, the way she was looking at him was peculiar. She had heard of the way Serafall had been taking him everywhere within the Underworld and as a result had steadily formed her own ideas of what happened between them. All that mattered though, was that she understood that the relationship between Shirou and her sister was going well.
Shirou Sitri?
Kuro Sitri?
The names were constantly filling her mind as she considered all the preparation occurring in the Sitri household as of late before she suddenly beamed.
"Sona? Is there something you need?" He asked carefully.
"Well, maybe," she said mysteriously before uncrossing her arms. "The Young Devil's Gathering had just begun but I left momentarily to take a small breather. Rias probably did the same, but she seemed to be distressed over the fact that Issei and Koneko don't seem to be taking this event too well."
"Oh?" He asked curiously.
Sona shrugged.
"Issei doesn't get along very well with Diodora of the Astaroth family and left after Koneko who asked Rias to be excused for personal reasons."
The way Sona was looking at him hadn't changed, but his interest in the matter kept him from instantly leaving.
"Did they not return yet?" He asked.
Sona shook her head. "To be honest, Rias half suspects that Issei may have stared too long at the boobs of another high-standing Heiress and offended her. Dragging Koneko to help mediate."
His mouth twitched recalling Issei's personality.
The possibility Sona had mentioned wasn't impossible. He quickly decided to stay out of it as it wasn't related to him. Instead, what mattered now was that Sona had taken the time to walk right up to him, wrapping her arms around his and pressing up to him with her bosom.
He stiffened immediately.
"W-What are you doing?" He stuttered out.
Sona smiled at him like a sister would when teasing an elder brother.
"I have a request," she said, pulling his head down to whisper into his ear.
The more he heard, the more exasperated the way he looked at her became until he stood with his mouth hanging open, Sona drawing circles on his chest while laughing lightly.
"Think of my request as my sister's dowry," she said, viewing him as not Marbas or Shirou, but as a member of her family she could cozy up to.
Alarm bells were ringing in his head when he heard Sona say 'dowry,' but for the time being, he was too dumbfounded to analyse her words.
"Aren't you being too shameless here?" he said.
She laughed into her hands, revealing a side to her that he had never seen before. Cute, yet elegant. Quiet, yet outgoing. Perhaps this was how Sona really was without the burdens of running Kuoh Academy as its student president weighing down on her shoulders.
"Well, we're going to be a family, aren't we?" She winked at him before leaving. "By the way, what mess did you get into this time?"
"Huh?"
For a moment, he didn't understand what Sona meant, but it became clear to him when he felt the presence at his back, along with multiple others.
He turned around, mouth twitching when he noticed Adelina kneeling towards him in respect, behind her a crowd of gawking Devils.
She'd caught up.
The thought entered his mind before he sighed. Like he had expected with her personality, she had immediately placed herself in a position beneath him.
"W-What did he do to our idol?" A woman in the crowd of Devils muttered out in a daze.
Similar words of outrage echoed within the large hall he was currently in, but in the end, he ignored it after seeing the moisture forming in Adelina's eyes.
How long had she waited for this moment? Sirzechs prevented her from staying by his side in the Human World before, but now that he was in the Underworld, she had no more obligations to fulfill but one.
"Lord Marbas," she uttered in a voice that only he could hear, the meaning and sentiment of waiting for numerous years contained within her words. "Little Adelina has grown up."
The child he had saved in the Civil War.
She who grew up to become strong while holding onto a memory of a time long since passed.
In his presence, all he saw was the image of that very girl staring up at him while panting from exertion after her training. Waiting for praise.
How did I do, Lord Marbas?
Almost subconsciously, his hand stretched out, tousling her hair in the same way he had done once before.
"You did well, Adelina."
She swallowed audibly, forcibly holding back the tears that wished to flow. That was right, she wasn't little Adelina anymore, but Adelina. She who swore to be his sword.
Lost in the moment, it wasn't until the crowd of young Devils began kicking up a commotion that he realized just what kind of picture he was painting from their perspective. Their idol and love interest under the hands of he who wasn't even in the form of Marbas.
"C-Calm down," he attempted to say, but by now it was too late, especially when Adelina subconsciously nuzzled her face into his hand.
He froze, along with everyone else.
A second passed, and then two, and it was if a riot had suddenly broken out.
"This Bastard! Who does he think he is, Lord Marbas?!"
A young Devil with a long braid yelled in her fury. Other shouts followed, growing louder and louder by the second. Adelina? She didn't even care.
In his case however, he truly felt wronged as everything escalated. It even caused the guards who were standing outside the perimeter to make their way over, one of which even included a Dragon.
His brow twitched with a growing doubt as if a black cat had played a trick on him.
No, he refused to accept that Kuroka was actually right about him.
But…his gaze lowered helplessly.
The situation spoke otherwise.
Adelina wasn't the only one who felt like crying.
With the events concerning the Gods of the other pantheons, Sirzechs was not able to return to his home until late in the evening which in the Underworld slightly differed from earth. For instance, no moon existed, only an artificial light supplied by magic that lit the way during the cold nights.
However, it wasn't the chilling wind that caused a shiver to travel down his back, but a bad premonition.
His pace subconsciously began to increase. Something was wrong, and his gut was warning him.
Did it have something to do with the duel he started with the Egyptians? Or was it the workings of the other Gods? After all, he couldn't say for certain that he had intimidated all of them. Some who were bold enough could still act regardless of his show of strength.
The Tracing ability Shirou had just revealed to him hours ago was still fresh in his mind and it wasn't hard to imagine what lengths other Gods would go to secure Shirou on speculation alone.
The ability of Tracing was simply too valuable after its use was explained.
If God was the Ruler of Heaven, and Marbas the Ruler of the Underworld, then Shirou the Human, was a walking armoury.
The combination of the three was too staggering to even think about. He was just thankful that such a figure was on the Bible Faction's side as its leader. There weren't many Gods willing to face the One God, let alone the Demon Marbas and a cheat-like ability.
It was knowing this that Sirzechs ruled out the possibility of his premonition having anything to do with Shirou. Therefore, what was it?
The answer continued to elude him on his way back to the Gremory manor, but ultimately arrived later in the night.
The path to the Gremory manor involved walking through its large front garden filled with orchids and trimmed conifers. His mother and father often enjoyed viewing them in the morning while eating their breakfast, but tonight, in the place where his mother and father would generally dine, was an uninvited guest.
The man was cleanly dressed, a high-collared white robe covering the majority of his body while the light from the artificial moon above reflected off his earrings and jeweled head-piece.
"Care to sit?" The man prompted, gesturing towards an empty seat.
Sirzechs didn't respond, sizing up the man and frowning from the power he could sense. The man was certainly not weak.
The man shrugged at his silence.
"Well it doesn't matter to me either way," the man said nonchalantly, however, Sirzechs had already had enough.
"Who are you?" He asked abruptly. He'd been feeling something off all night, and the man's presence was only making the feeling worse.
"A common Trickster," the man's lips curled upwards before leaning back on the chair he was siting on.
Sirzechs wasn't amused with the improper response, but he could let it go in favour of something more important.
"What purpose do you have in waiting for me here?" He pressed.
The way the man was smiling at him gradually shifted into a more serious expression, the lightness of his tone hardening.
"Nothing important really," the man gestured with his hand. "Just a warning is all."
"And that would be?"
A light flashed over the man's face, possessing a decisiveness that momentarily surprised Sirzechs with its intensity.
"This Alliance you're planning, leave the Norse out."
With the man's words, the way Sirzechs was scrutinizing the man heightened. The Norse? The last time he had heard of them, they were adamant in their decision to remain where they were in the Nine Realms. Yet more than that, he had already felt the intentions of Odin, the All Father, to form an Alliance. This was the reason that even though the Norse didn't show up to the initial meetings occurring presently, he wasn't worried with their participation. Having an ally like Thor for example was grounds for celebration as Thor could be ranked within the World's strongest.
"I don't believe that's your call to make," he eventually said after some consideration, taking note of the murderous aura that the man subsequently quelled as a result.
A tense silence stretched on between the two before the magical transmitting device he had set on off during the meeting between the Gods suddenly activated. His brows furrowed, not understanding why something he had left off would turn on at this moment.
"I believe you might want to pick that up," the man said knowingly. "I saw something rather interesting on my way here."
The premonition he had been feeling since the start of the night returned to him like a bolt of lightning as his hand tapped over the magic circle to accept the call of whoever was contacting him.
And it was then that he stilled dangerously.
"H-Help," a voice came out weak, pleading, and one he knew all too well.
"R-Rias?" He said in a panic, ignoring the grin steadily forming over the man's face.
The voice on the other end remained quiet for a few seconds as the sound of panting transmitted its way through.
"Y-You finally picked up," the helplessness in Rias's tone stabbed into Sirzechs more than he'd like to admit. No matter how much he denied the fact that he heavily doted on his sister, the fact was true.
"What's happening, I'll make my way there immediately!"
"It's alright. Its already over," Rias said in between breaths.
Just knowing that Rias was alright was enough to help calm him down, but he was far from composed. Around him, his energy was already beginning to stir. Tendrils of his aura erasing all that came into contact.
It was his will power alone that allowed him to continue with the conversation.
"Then what's wrong?" He pressed for an answer. One that eventually came in a choked voice alongside a frustrated shout in the background that he recognized as Issei's.
"K-Koneko's been taken."
Following Rias's admission, the line abruptly cut.
The magic formation shattered in Sirzechs hands as he clenched them.
"It seems your younger sister has met with misfortune," the man said nonchalantly.
It was the wrong response.
Before the man even registered it, his face was being pressed into the ground. "Y-You-"
"Shut up." Sirzechs tone was menacing. "Tell me all you know of this incident or Die."
Struggling as the man was, it did him no good as his aura itself gradually deteriorated under Sirzechs hand. The man eventually ceased struggling, admonishing himself for being caught unprepared. This was why he preferred staying in the sidelines for the value of not being seen.
"Nothing, this has nothing to do with me," the man muttered out in displeasure. "But if you agree to my proposal, this God can help."
The man shifted his eyes up to meet Sirzechs's fiery gaze.
"So, how about it?"
Thanks for Reading, and thanks to my newest patrons: The Maharajan, Gabriel D, and Ryan Rios!
P a treon. com (slash) Parcasious
Next coming update: Fate Stay cooking