02. the hunters

chapter two,
the hunters

        DAVINA HAD NEVER hated life more as she walked beside Percy Jackson after being taken hostage

DAVINA HAD NEVER hated life more as she walked beside Percy Jackson after being taken hostage. And she was a demigod, so that was saying something. She looked over at Percy, noticing that his eyes were closed. She elbowed him, giving him a look that said pull it together.

"What are you doing, Jackson?" Dr. Thorn hissed when Percy stopped walking. "Keep moving!"

        "It's my shoulder," Percy complained as he reluctantly kept going forward. "It burns."

        "My poison causes pain," Dr. Thorn dismissed him. "It will not kill you. Walk!"

        Thorn led them into the woods, taking a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights. The wind hitting her legs through her jeans made Davina shiver.

        "There is a clearing ahead," Thorn told them. "We will summon your ride."

        "What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"

        "Silence, you insufferable girl!" Thorn hollered.

        "Don't talk to my sister like that!" Nico spoke, his voice shaking. Davina gave him a small smile, admiring his bravery.

        "Halt," Dr. Thorn stopped after a few more steps.

        The woods had opened and they reached a cliff. Thorn pushed them closer to the edge. Percy stumbled. Davina caught his shoulder, rolling her eyes. "If you die on me, I swear to the Gods, Jackson–"

        "I don't mean to interrupt, but what is he?" Bianca whispered. "How do we fight him?"

        "We're working on it," Percy answered.

        "I'm scared," Nico whimpered as he fidgeted with a small, metal soldier of some kind.

        Davina put her hand on his shoulder. "It'll be okay," she spoke softly. Percy had never seen her be so gentle. "I won't let anything happen to you or your sister. I promise."

        "Stop talking!" Thorn ordered. "Face me." Davina squeezed Nico's shoulder before dropping her arm back to her side and turning around. "The package – it is ready to deliver."

        There was a muffled reply. Percy glanced behind them, probably trying to figure out if he could survive the drop.

        Thorn laughed. "By all means, son of Poseidon, jump! There is sea. Save yourself."

        "What did he call you?" Bianca asked.

        "I'll explain later," Percy responded.