04. death wish

chapter four,
death wish

        IT SEEMS THAT, to gods who literally had all the time in the world, soon did not mean in a few minutes

        IT SEEMS THAT, to gods who literally had all the time in the world, soon did not mean in a few minutes. It meant in a few hours. Davina stood next to Percy, watching as Bianca broke the news of her joining the Hunters to her brother while he told Thalia and Grover what happened when they were with Artemis. Nico looked crushed.

Grover paled. "The last time the Hunters visited the camp, it didn't go well."

"How'd they even show up here?" Percy wondered. "I mean, they just appeared out of nowhere."

"And Bianca joined them," Davina could hear the complete and utter anger in Thalia's tone. "And now they want Davina to join them? It's all Zoë's fault. That stuck-up, no good–"

"Who can blame her?" Grover asked. "Eternity with Artemis?"

Thalia rolled her eyes as Grover let out a dreamy sigh. "You satyrs. You're all in love with Artemis. Don't you get that she'll never love you back?"

"She's like a little celebrity crush," Davina defended, crossing her arms. "It's kind of. . . cute, I guess. In a way."

Percy tilted his head at her. "Since when did you become an Aphrodite kid?"

"I'm not heartless, Barnacle Boy," Davina spat, narrowing her eyes at him.

"She's so. . . into nature," Grover swooned before Percy could respond.

"You're nuts," Thalia shook her head.

"Nuts and berries," Grover responded breathily. "Yeah."

Eventually, the sky began to lighten.

        "About time," Artemis muttered. "He's so lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy questioned.

"For my brother, yes," Artemis answered. There was a moment of silence as Percy thought. "It's not exactly as you think."

"Oh, okay," Percy let out a breath of relief. "So, it's not like he'll be pulling up in a–"

There was a burst of light and a blast of warmth. "Don't look," Artemis instructed. "Not until he parks." Davina closed her eyes. Parks? She waited until the light died down before she opened her eyes.

There was a car in front of them, the snow around it melted in a perfect circle. The driver got out and Davina felt like she might melt. She could practically feel her pupils turn into hearts as she gawked at him. Apollo was–

"Wow," Thalia finished, blinking. "Apollo is hot."

"Right?" Davina agreed, putting away her annoyance with the girl for a second. She found it hard at that moment to wrap her head around the fact that the guy in front of her – who looked no older than 16 – had tons of children running around. One of them even happened to be her other best friend.