05. the oracle

chapter five,
the oracle

        IT WASN'T UNUSUAL for half-bloods to have weird dreams – nightmares

IT WASN'T UNUSUAL for half-bloods to have weird dreams – nightmares. And Davina was no different. But this one felt different – she was consciously aware of her surroundings. She knew she was dreaming.

It was pitch black with no sign of the sky above. Even though she was very confused, she could still make out a familiar figure in front of her. Annabeth Chase struggled up a hill. Davina went to run to her, attempting to scream out her name, but she couldn't do either.

She watched as Annabeth finally made her way to the top of the hill and gasped. Davina's eyebrows furrowed, and then she saw him. Luke Castellan, her half-brother, was in front of Annabeth, crumpled on the ground.

"Annabeth!" he hollered. "Help me! Please!"

Annabeth ran towards him and Davina made another attempt to get her attention. Don't do it! You can't trust him! But once again, she failed.

Annabeth squatted down and went to reach for his face, but hesitated. "What happened?"

"They left me here," Luke choked out. "Please. It's killing me."

Good, Davina thought bitterly. She couldn't even see what was happening to him. He was struggling, obviously, against something – but she couldn't make out what that something was.

"Why should I trust you?" Annabeth questioned him, tone laced with hurt and betrayal.

"You shouldn't," Luke groaned, attempting to shake his head. "I've been terrible to you. But if you don't help me, I'll die."

Whatever Luke was struggling against began to crumble, making Davina's eyes widened. Annabeth rushed in just as whatever it was dropped, leaving her to hold it up.

Luke rolled free, sucking in air. "Thanks."

"Help me hold it," Annabeth got out as she attempted to adjust her stance to help her support the weight.

Luke rose, legs shaking. He wiped the sweat from his forehead and began to walk away. "I knew I could count on you."

"Help me!" Annabeth begged.

The blonde boy glanced back at her. "Don't worry," he shook his head. "Your help is on the way. It's all part of the plan. In the meantime, try not to die."

The weight of what Annabeth was holding began to crumble once more, forcing the girl onto the ground.

Davina's eyes snapped open as she sat up in her bed, sweat covering her body. Her heart pounded in her chest. She looked around the Hermes cabin, which was emptier like it usually was during the winter, trying to catch her breath and sort her thoughts. She wished she had the privilege to believe it was just a bad dream, but she didn't.