03. bianca's decision

chapter three,
bianca's decision

        THALIA STOMPED HER foot, frustrated

THALIA STOMPED HER foot, frustrated. "The nerve of those Hunters! They think they're so. . . ugh!"

        "I'm with you," Percy agreed. "I don't trust–"

        "Oh, you're with me?" Thalia repeated. "What were you two thinking back there in the gym? That you could take on Dr. Thorn all by yourselves? You knew he was a monster! If we'd stuck together, we could've taken him without the Hunters getting involved. Annabeth might still be here. Did you think of that?"

        Davina's jaw clenched. "If Jackson and I had waited for you guys, the di Angelos would be long gone!" She stepped toward the daughter of Zeus. "We were barely able to handle Thorn with just the five of us. You'd be a goner right now if the Hunters hadn't stepped in."

        There was a moment of silence as the two girls glared at each. Thalia's eyes flashed dangerously while Davina crossed her arms challengingly. Just as Percy considered interfering, Davina rolled her eyes and walked away. She wasn't going to fight Thalia. Not because she was scared of the girl – she was the farthest thing from scared of Thalia – but because she knew it wasn't what Annabeth would've wanted.

Davina watched the Hunters set up a camping sight. Seven large tents make of silver silk rounded the bonfire they'd made. One of them blew a silver whistle and a dozen white wolves appeared in a matter of seconds, circling the camp like they were guarding it.

        A few minutes later, a Hunter brought Davina her bag. She watched Grover attempt to fix Percy's arm by the bonfire and sighed. She stood and lightly pushed the satyr out of the way, taking over. She worked silently, only speaking when she needed Grover to hand her something.

        Percy couldn't help but notice how she worked with such ease. It was most likely because of how much she liked to train and how when she wasn't with Annabeth, she was with Cassie Clark, an Apollo kid with a knack for healing.

        When Davina was done, she pulled away and glanced down at Nico. He'd laid out figurines of gods and heroes in the snow.

        "Big collection," Percy commented, following her gaze.

        Nico smiled. "I've got almost all of them, plus their holographic cards! Well, except for a few of the really rare ones."

        "Oh, so you must have been playing this game for a while," Davina assumed.

        "No," Nico dismissed. "I've only been playing just this year. Before that. . ."

        Davina furrowed her brows when he trailed off. "Before that. . .?"

        "I forgot," he replied. "That's weird." He looked unsettled, but it didn't last very long. "Can I see your sword?"

        "Sure," Davina grinned as she sat next to him. "So when I unclasp my bracelet. . ." She did what she said and watched the amazement in his eyes as it turned into her sword. She showed him the engraving and told him what it meant. "And then when I twist this part, it just goes back into my bracelet."