9. Locked Memories

A white car stops in front of Jaemin and Sehyuk, the two getting in as the driver calls out Jaemin's name

A white car stops in front of Jaemin and Sehyuk, the two getting in as the driver calls out Jaemin's name. He opens the door for the boy in the wheelchair, helping him get in as Sehyuk reaches for the roof of the car and does a pseudo-pull up and Jaemin maneuvers his other half into the backseat, folding the electric wheelchair and putting it in the back.

Sehyuk places his head on the window, closing his eyes and avoiding the still hesitant gaze his friend sends him. He's at his limit too, the overwhelming urge to run away somewhere far strong. Run away, laughable and ironic if he may say so himself. Destiny plays with humans in odd ways, who would've thought an incident such as this would entail and bring him onto his knees.

Half an hour into the ride and they reach Sehyuk's apartment building. It's eight floors tall with a penthouse at the top, a cream-biscuit building with large windows encased in grey stone piping and the lettering 'Yongsan-chi' embedded above the main entrance.

"Alright, thank you for today," Sehyuk says as he works his way up the ramp beside the stairs after the shorter boy helps him again to set in the wheelchair. "You should go home and rest now, Jaemin."

The older folds his arms over his chest. "I already informed my parents I'm going to stay over at your place in case you need any help."

"That won't be necessary, I told you I'm fine." Sehyuk frowns as he presses the elevator button. "Please, go home."

"I'm sorry, I'm invading your privacy and inviting myself over but I knew you'd be like this so I had to. I will not leave you alone."

The transferee grabs the arm rest of his wheelchair, his teeth gritting together. "I'm tired, I'll fall asleep quickly so there's nothing you'll have to do." The elevator dings and its doors open. "I wi—"

"No can do."

"Just leave me alone! I don't want you to be there! I'm not as pathetic as you think I am!" Sehyuk yells in frustration, his chest rapidly moving in rhythm. His eyes momentarily widen as the smaller boy's face falls, but he still stands his point. This is the first time in months since they both met, has Sehyuk breaking into an outburst. He probably shouldn't be treating him in this way but today has been a concoction of frustrating anger and helplessness.

"I...alright." Jaemin breathes, taking a step back. "Take care." His droopy shoulders sag even more, feet dragging away towards the exit.

His slow shuffling entails Sehyuk to call him back but the blond wheels inside without another word. He presses the third floor button, head falling in his palms and fingers pressing against his eyes. The whirring sound of the working elevator is too loud for him, just as the beating of his heart and the pounding of his head.

With another ding of the elevator, Sehyuk wheels out, pushing the joystick to move forward. He pushes the numbers on the keypad lock stuck to his door. As soon as the boy enters his apartment, he heaves a long sigh, combing his hair and moving to his bedroom. His place has two rooms, a bedroom and guest room along with a living room and kitchen.