17. Death Run

Sehyuk stares at the watch dangling in front of his eyes

Sehyuk stares at the watch dangling in front of his eyes. A white strapped Guess watch. "What is this?" He squints, folding his arms over each other.

"I can't give you cash right now but if you sell this watch anywhere, it would be more than enough to cover my expenses of the past days," Kihyun explains, placing it on the ceramic table between them and leaning on his chair.

"No, it's alright, I—"

"I don't want to be accused of being a freeloader. There's nothing in this world that comes for free, it's always a give and take. Before you knocked down my ego once more, take this watch and let me be in peace."

Sehyuk wraps his fingers and pulls the watch from the older's hand. "Why the sudden urge to pay me now?"

"Because I want another burger." Kihyun gestures at the waitress near them. "One double cheeseburger and a chocolate cookie, please."

Sehyuk has never seen the boy gobbling up food like a starved man as he's today. Days of hunger must be catching up to him now. "Weren't you going to meet your brother?"

"I don't think...I can face him unless and until I find some way to help him out."

"You're just a kid, there's nothing you can do but show him you're there for him now. Don't miss the chance once again."

Kihyun gives a pensive face, a part of his lower lip stuck between his teeth. "No...I can't go empty-handed after a whole year."

Sehyuk doesn't argue further, even though he knows the older is setting himself up for more pain.

The waitress places another burger, half wrapped in paper, and a cookie on a plate. Kihyun digs in, taking a rather large bite out of it. The mobile phone placed on the table buzzes, slightly vibrating the whole surface. The boy sighs, putting down his burger and answering the call. "Yes, eomma?"

"It's been two weeks since I've seen your face. Are you rebelling against us just because your father hasn't woken up yet? Stop this nonsense and come home at once."

"How are you, son? I'm fine. I miss you, come home." Kihyun grits, scoffing. "I hope someday that's how our conversation will go. A normal parent and child interaction." He glances at Sehyuk momentarily but then averts his eyes, staring at the unfinished food in front of him.

A beat of silence follows Kihyun's words, Sehyuk feeling guilty about not being careful when he talked to his parents. He knows it's not his fault but the other boy must've felt crappy about his relationship when Sehyuk laughed or whined on the phone calls.