11. Apology Dinners

Kihyun taps his Yeezy neoprene slipper sandal on the floorboard as he presses the doorbell again and waits for the owner to open the door

Kihyun taps his Yeezy neoprene slipper sandal on the floorboard as he presses the doorbell again and waits for the owner to open the door. It hasn't even been complete twenty-four hours since he's been in the same spot before. A moment later, the door is pulled open, the boy in the wheelchair squinting with a raised brow.

"Why are you here?" He asks, folding his arms over his chest.

"Didn't you say you were going to dent my pocket?"

Sehyuk snorts, a grin cutting through his face. "Are you seriously here after that?" He points at Kihyun's swollen cheek. "I have to say, I love that dedication."

The dark-haired boy rolls his eyes for a reply. "I'm not here to chit-chat with you, are you coming or not?"

"You didn't have to climb all way up here, you know?"

"I don't have your phone number, how was I supposed to call?"

"Jaemin does."

Kihyun breathes audibly, turning away. "Let's not waste time with trivialities, I have other more interesting things to do than have dinner with you."

The blond chuckles, waving his hand in the air. "Alright, lead the way to Korean Bullseye."

An hour later, the two are seated at the table in the restaurant decorated with vaulted ceilings with intricate, golden moldings, soft yellow lights illuminating the place, and glass statues of animals around the perimeter.

Kihyun slumps in his seat as the awkward air hangs around them. They ordered a few dishes as soon as they came in but there was not much they could do while waiting. There's never been a time, except for yesterday, that Kihyun had to sit civilly around the transferee. He keeps scrolling through his Instagram feed, refreshing it repeatedly to avoid any eye contact with the boy sitting opposite to him.

They are at a circular table with a silky peach covering, napkin puff in glasses, and perfectly polished and spaced silverware. Three white menu cards with golden writing stand on the table, and a fresh bouquet of roses held in the vase in the middle.

"Isn't that professor Park Dae Ho?" Sehyuk offers as an icebreaker, a finger pointing in his direction. "And since when did he have a daughter!" He whisper shouts at the girl by his side in jeans overalls and a beige hat sitting atop her head, as tall as Park Dae Ho's torso.

Kihyun turns, slightly bowing as the man in a charcoal blazer and grey turtleneck looks at their table, as if he felt Sehyuk's intruding finger from all the way there. He dips his head with a smile in acknowledgment of the two students, waving his tattooed hand a little as he walks to the curtained area.

"Woah, he must be loaded to be having dinner in the private area." Sehyuk whistles, bobbing his head.

"Of course he is, he's a professor and owns an art gallery." The older chips in, his eyes moving back to the device in his hands. "Does...does he know about your..." he nudges his chin in Sehyuk's direction, targeting the wheelchair.