Chapter 4

After his unexpected appearance at school, Aaron drove himself home. I walked slowly to my car. How the hell was I going to get all Tristan's friends to stop bothering me?

Well - maybe I provoked some of it... But still!

As I was approaching my car, I saw someone walking towards me. 

"Tristan." I stated flatly.

"Hey Hannah." he smiled weakly.

"I thought we weren't talking." I sighed. 

"Look Hannah -" he started. He glanced at me and then looked away.

"I'm sorry - that they keep bothering you." he sounded sincere, but weak at the same time.

"It's not your fault." I said without meaning it.

"Yes it is." he stated, frustrated.

"Yea I know it is - but I'm not supposed to say it to your face." I said, disregarding every lesson of politeness. He let out a small laugh.

"No one says shit like that." he grinned at me. But behind his smile, his eyes weren't focused. They weren't aware of what was going on. His mind and body were in front of me - but his soul was in another place entirely.

"Tristan." I said in a soft voice. He snapped his head up and stared me right in the eyes. 

"Don't." he said, his voice suddenly dangerous.

"Don't what?" I frowned.

"Don't as me if I'm okay." he said firmly.

"How did you kn-" I started.

"Everyone keeps doing that." he said without feeling. "They say my name all sadly - and then they try to make it into some therapy session." he looked confused and shook his head.

"I have to go." he said. And took off back towards the school before I could say anything. I dropped my backpack on the ground next to my car and followed him.

"Tristan." I called. He was a few feet ahead of me. He shook his head and kept walking. I ran a few feet and caught him by his arm. He turned around but didn't look at me. He glanced at my hand on his arm. I released his arm quickly.

"Sorry." I breathed.

"Um... Can't we talk." I said, then frowned at how weird that sounded. "I mean like friends - not like a shrink to a patient." I offered. He studied me, his short brown hair, sitting perfectly in chaos. Then he shook his head slowly. And left. I didn't follow him this time. But I watched him go.

The next week went by slowly. Whenever Tristan walked by me, I watched him. But he never once glanced in my direction. His friends left me alone for the most part. Tristan must have said something to them.

Tonight was the night of the football game against Northridge High School. Ashley invited me to go with her and to be honest, the only reason I said yes was because I knew Tristan was playing.

The second I walked through the field gates Ashley called my name. 

"Hey." she said, when I finally reached her.

"Hey Ashley." I smiled.

"Kevin, Sarah." I greeted the two people next to her. They nodded and waved. Ashley pat the seat next to her, and I sat down. We randomly talked for the next 15 minutes. Finally the game started. So I don't totally know how to play football - but I know enough to be able to pretend that I know exactly what's going on.

By half time, I was quite bored, and the score made it obvious that we would win the game. I glanced at my phone.

"I have to go." I said to Ashley, over all the cheering people. She nodded, gave me a hug, and I left the stadium. I passed by the boys locker room to get to my car when I saw Tristan.