Chapter 17

I watched the video again and again. I don't know what I was waiting for. The more I watched the video the more I was filled with regret. It wasn't supposed to end like this. How could everything go so horribly wrong?

Finally I put the phone down and laid down in my bed. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep but sleep didn't come. My eyes flashed open in surrender. I clearly wasn't going to be getting much sleep.

I grabbed Tristan's phone and my car keys and took off.

I reached the house and knocked on the door. Glancing around me, the street was full of life. There were two little boys playing catch on the sidewalk and a little girl on her trycicle as her father chased after her. Cars would go by and garage doors opened and closed. How could life go on so easily? Would everyone finally just forget about Tristan? Would he become a tragic point in the past that people could barely recall?

Would I forget his voice?

My mind raced as I tried to recall his touch. When he would hold my hand or touch my face.

"Hannah." a woman said, snapping me back to reality. Mrs. Hunter had opened the front door.

"Mrs. Hunter." I breathed quietly. This woman hated me. What was I going to say? She was looking at me wide-eyed but her demeaner was calm - and tired. I held out Tristan's phone to her.

"This is - was." I froze for a minute. "This was - Tristan's cell phone."

Mrs. Hunter looked at me patiently as if waiting for me to continue.

"There's a video on it I think you should see. It's the last one recorded." I looked down and took a deep breath. I looked back up at her as I bit my lip hoping I wasn't going to start crying.

Mrs. Hunter reached out and gently took the phone from my hands. She nodded and I felt an odd peace between us.

I heard someone coming down the stairs and suddenly Bradley appeared.

"What's up?" he asked glancing between his mother and me.

"There's a video of Tristan on his phone Hannah wanted us to see." Mrs. Hunter said softly without looking at Bradley. Bradley glanced at the phone.

"Where'd you get his phone?' was the first think Bradley asked.

"His backpack." I whispered.

"Find anything else in there?" Bradley asked me suddenly. I thought back to the small bag filled with white powder.

"Nothing special." I mumbled hoping they would buy it. I didn't have the heart in me to tell them about whatever drug that was. There was a silence.

"Um... I should go." I said.

Bradley raised his eyebrows and looked at me as if asking me if I was okay. I avoided his eye contact and turned away. Without another word, I left the house and went home.

The moment I walked inside through the front door, Aaron was there.

"What's up?" I asked him, not really listening to his answer.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, his blue eyes studying me too closely.

"I'm fine." I said firmly. He nodded slowly as if doubting me. A phone started to vibrate. Aaron pulled it out of his pocket and glanced it, I saw him scrunch his face and then ignore the call.

"Who was that?" I asked, again, not really concerned about the answer.

"Work." he mumbled.

"Well why didn't you answer it?" I asked, glad the subject was not about me or Tristan for once. Aaron shook his head.