Chapter 10

After a minute we pulled a way from the hug. Tristan wouldn't make eye contact with me. We stayed silent for a few more moments.

"Time for school then." he gestured towards the school. I frowned, looking at the orange bottle that he still held in his hand. 

"You're high." I whispered.

"Teachers don't notice." he said simply, as if he had gone to school high many times before. My frown didn't fade. But I had no idea what to say to him. 

"What?" he asked, noticing my concerned face.

"Give me the bottles." I stated firmly. Tristan took a step back and a look of pain poured over his face. He looked like he wanted shake his head but he didn't.

"Hannah please don't..." he trailed off.

"Don't what?" I cut in.

"I can't watch you hurt yourself." my voice became quieter. I reached for the bottle in his hand. He released it without hesitation. I returned to his car to get my backpack and the other two bottles. The look on Tristan's face only worsened.

"Tristan I won't turn you in. But you have to work with me here." I begged. He shook his head. 

"You're acting like a shrink Hannah." his voice cracked.

"This is why I didn't want to tell you." he said with more confidence.

"I care about you Tristan." I said flatly.

"You can't fix me." he said softly. I looked in his eyes, and this time he stared right back at me.

"Come on." I tapped his back and we started walking towards school. It was quiet yet comfortable.

"I'll see you later." I said when I reached my classroom. He gave me a small smile and stepped closer to me. I did the same. But then we just backed away. I didn't know how to act. I didn't want to push him too far - and after everything that had happened to him, I didn't know what 'too far' was.

"Later Hannah." he said. I smiled back and went into the classroom. Needless to say I didn't pay attention to any of my classes.

What Tristan had said ran through my head a million times. It didn't seem real. How could he have been raped? I couldn't wrap my head around that.

Well, I guess I just didn't want to think about it too hard. 

At lunch I avoided Tristan, although I don't really know why.

Near the end of lunch I left my group of friends to go to my locker. As I was shoveling my books around in my locker someone walked up to me.

"Jack." I stated, shocked.

"Hey." he said unevenly.

"So... Tris said he told you... well... everything." Jack said.

"Yea." I said after a few moments. "He did." He looked away and scratched his head as if he was deep in thought.

"Look - I was kind of a dick to you before." he paused.

"I just don't want Tristan getting... getting messed with again." he finished. I studied him.

"I won't hurt him." I said, so quiet that Jack barely heard me. He squinted his eyes at me, almost in pity.

"Hannah you're in over your head." Jack said quickly. I frowned and Jack instantly looked guilty.

"Tristan is... troubled." Jack finished. That's what the counselor said to me!

"I have to go." I said, and hurried away before Jack could say anymore.