Chapter Seventeen

The delicious scents of food cooking hit Evelyn as soon as she opened the front door. She could smell oregano, thyme, and garlic. She slowed down and hung up her bag on the coat rack, looking around. The last few boxes in the living room had been unpacked, and the stack of pictures she'd been meaning to get to had been hung. Candles were lit on the mantle and there was a small fire going in the small, stone fireplace. The news was on as usual, covering the murders in Garret Falls but muted. Diana's laptop was nearby as well, left open, the screen glowing. She grinned, looking around as she moved through the house. It seemed Diana had gotten an extra burst of energy and had finished unpacking. She had cleaned the house and made dinner as well. Their brand new dining room table had been put together and dinner was served, complete with candles and glasses of wine. After the day she'd had, she needed it.

"Right on time." Diana said, entering the dining room from the kitchen side and taking her apron off. Diana loved to cook.

"What's all this?"

"Well," Diana said, "I thought we needed some time together." She shrugged and sat down, gesturing for Evelyn to sit down as well. She did, taking a sip of her wine before grabbing a fork. "We've both been working so much, and we're all wrapped up in these murders... it's a bit much and you know I hate fighting with you." Evelyn hummed her agreement, chewing thoughtfully. The food was delicious- some sort of pasta dish with pork and mushrooms. Diana took her food seriously and did an amazing job while Evelyn could barely boil eggs. Ramen noodles had kept her alive throughout college and the academy. She meant to learn, and Diana had offered to teach her, but they'd never gotten around to it.

"This is so good." She said, smiling. "This too. The entire house looks and smells amazing." She looked around, wondering which photos Diana had put on the dining room walls. She could see a few. There was one of them in Hawaii on their honeymoon, and another of them at Christmas with Floyd and Diana's grandmother before she had passed away.

"I'm glad you like it." Diana replied. "I can tell you've been having a hard time lately."

"Yeah." Evelyn agreed, wondering if she should tell her wife about the dreams, or how she'd prove it. "I have, you're right. It's not just the murders, it's Walker. I think I let him get in my head."

"No kidding?" Diana said, "how could he not have though? He murdered your mom."

"Yeah." Evelyn said, thinking about everything so far. "Then he said that stuff about my dad being in charge." Diana snorted. She picked up her glass and took a long drink. When she sat it down, Diana grabbed the bottle and refilled it. She looked away when Evelyn tried to meet her eyes. "It's okay, you can talk about it."

"How crazy is that?" Diana said, the words bursting out of her mouth. She wanted to talk about it. "All this time- all this time- Floyd could have been your dad? Or Walker? What the shit." Her eyes widened. "Was Walker talking about himself? He thinks he's the one in charge?" They both considered it. Evelyn chewed her food a little slower. It was likely that he had meant himself.

"Actually..." Evelyn looked back over her shoulder, and then at her wife, "I have the DNA test results."

"What?" Diana wailed, her eyes wide. "What did they say?"

"I don't know." Evelyn admitted, "Floyd gave it to me. He said it was my decision. I was going to open it but the contents... they could change everything, right? He's been the only father figure I've had this whole time. He even helped me pay for college... Does it really matter if he's biologically my dad?"

"Does it matter if he's not?" Diana asked. "Let's say he's not. Let's say your mom was telling the truth on that 911 call, and not just trying to save you. Does it matter if Walker is your dad? He isn't here now, he never has been. Floyd has. It doesn't matter who has the genetics, it matters who has the balls to step up."