Chapter Twenty Seven

"I love you, Evvy. Everything is going to be okay. I'm okay."

Waking up in the hospital was one of those things Evelyn would never get used to. It was near the top of her least favorite things. Again, she found herself in a sterile hospital room surrounded by too many bright lights. She closed her eyes as soon as she opened them. When she tried to look again, she had to squint. More tubes and wires were coming out of her than she would ever be comfortable with. Her first reaction was to kick the bed sheets holding her captive. Nurses like to see that all their patients were 'snug as a bug in a rug'. It was too much for Evelyn. She licked her dry lips and frowned, letting everything come into focus.

As soon as she moved, there was a scraping sound of metal against the floor. She looked over to find James standing there. His rigid posture melted and he gripped the bed's safety bars. She frowned at him and looked around. It was just the two of them in the room.

"We have to quit meeting like this." she said. He did not laugh, although he tried to fake a smile. Evelyn swallowed hard and pulled herself up. Her elbows didn't seem to feel like working, making it difficult to do much. James did not speak. He simply stood there and watched her. When he realized she needed help, he leaned forward and hooked his arms underneath hers. It took little effort to move her into a more comfortable position. He grabbed his chair, turned it around, and straddled it.

"Nurse will be here in a minute." He said, watching her. She didn't know what to say and didn't think he did either. James hugged the back of the chair and rested his weight against it.

"Okay." she offered, wanting to fill the silence. She looked around at the barren room. There were no flowers, no get well soon cards, nothing. Instead, she got machinery, a cabinet for her belongings, and a pull-out sofa she knew was uncomfortable from experience. She looked back to James, who looked away. She got the sense he was hiding something. "How long have I been out?"

"Four days." A nurse said, making her way in. "It's good to see you up, Ms. Waters." Evelyn noticed the change in her name right away. She blinked a few times, turning it over in her head. Diana was dead. Evelyn drew back as the realization hit her. She sank into the pillows. She looked at James as the nurse began poking and prodding at her. Her lip trembled and he looked away. The nurse did as well.

"Diana... she's dead?" James dragged his gaze back to hers.

"Yeah." He replied. Evelyn returned her attention to the nurse. She lifted her shaking hands and attempted to smooth out the sheets. Tears pricked at the corners of her eyes. It all went by in a blur. She heard what the nurse said- they'd be keeping her for a few more days- she was lucky to be alive. Lucky to be alive. It was meant to be some kind of comfort, but the words crashed around in Evelyn's skull like loose bullets. She heard it but didn't understand it. After the nurse left, she sat there for a long time. James stayed with her, keeping guard.

"Maybe you're not ready."

"No." Evelyn said, holding out a hand to stop him. "I was there. I saw you... I saw her... die." The last word barely came out.

"Explain it to me." James said, "tell me what the hell happened, Waters."

"Diana... she... she was the copycat." Evelyn said. He tilted his head to the side, searching her face. He had suspected as much. "She... she murdered all those people."

"I'm going to need to get the feds for this." He said, going to the door. He muttered to himself as he left, too quiet for her to understand it. The door clicked shut and Evelyn released a sob from somewhere deep inside. The same phrase repeated over and over in her head. Diana was dead. Evelyn gasped for air and bit down hard on the inside of her cheek, trying to regain control. She scrubbed at her eyes with clenched fists.