Chapter Nineteen

Evelyn snuck up and tapped on the door to Floyd's office to announce herself. He held a phone to his ear, listening to someone talk while he took notes. He glanced over and held up a hand to acknowledge her. Beside her, Diana had her back pressed to the wall, clutching the 'father's day' cake she had made that morning. She bit her lip and her eyes crinkled in an effort not to giggle. Her box of ties- all bought at a thrift store last minute- balanced precariously on top.

"Yes, sir." Floyd said, clicking his pen on his desk now. "Oh, no, I completely agree. I'll see that you stay updated on this." He clicked his pen again and rolled his eyes. "Yes, Sir. I have just the person. Her name is Jane Seymour. Let your secretary know to expect her emails." He sighed and slumped forward as the person kept talking. "Yes, Sir. Yes. Yes. Alright then. It was good talking to you. I wish it had been under better circumstances. Uh huh. Goodbye." He placed the phone in its cradle, released a heavy sigh, and waved Evelyn in.

"Who was that?" She asked.

"The Governor." Floyd groaned, "asking about these cases." he tossed his pen onto the desk. It rolled across and finally came to a stop near the edge. "What's up?"

"Well," Evelyn began, rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet, "I thought I'd come see you."

"For?" He asked, his eyes narrowing. "What have you done?"

"Well," Evelyn said again, taking her time, "I opened the DNA test-"

"I told you-"

"Happy Father's Day!" Diana announced, bursting in with the cake held high. She used her foot to shut the door so that no one heard her. Floyd's eyes bulged out, and he jumped, startled by her sudden appearance. He stood, his chair scraping against the floor,

"Really?" He asked. "Is that what it said?"

"That's what it said."

"Congratulations!" Diana said, clapping him on the back. "You get me as a real daughter-in-law now." He gave her a half-hearted glare and then came around the desk to hug Evelyn. She was trembling a bit and his hug was a little too tight. She laid her head on his shoulder and took a shaky breath. The hug lasted forever. Evelyn wasn't sure which one of them needed the support more. While it wasn't important who was her biological father, it was nice to be validated in their feelings for one another. After a few long moments, Diana danced around the pair of them and tucked a bright pink bubblegum cigar into his chest pocket. He pulled back and removed it, examining the plastic wrapper. He rolled his eyes.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome!" She said, grinning from ear to ear, "do I get to call you Dad now?"

"Absolutely not." He replied. Evelyn laughed, grateful for the comedic relief. He went over and looked at the cake she had made and then picked up the gift.

"Well, I have to get to work." Diana said, winking at Evelyn. "You take the car, love. I'm just a block or two away. I'll get a ride home."

"You sure?"

"I could have a cruiser pick you up." Floyd offered. Diana eyeballed him for a moment.

"And dump me in the river, old man? No thanks. You keep your flying monkeys to yourself." She hugged Evelyn, putting her hand over her mouth and bumping their foreheads together. "I'm sure, I said. Now hush." Then she grinned and walked off, a bit of a skip in her step.

"What hole did you find her in again?" Floyd asked, holding the gift to his ear to listen. He pulled it back and looked it over. "This is from her isn't it?"

"It is." Evelyn said, laughing. She grabbed a chair from against the wall and brought it over to watch him open it. Floyd shook the box a bit and then gave in and started opening it.