Chapter-15

CAMILA

The pounding of my head wakes me up, and I groan in misery, eyes still closed, as the events of last night play like a movie reel in my brain. My splitting headache and swollen eyelids are nothing compared to the aching of my heart as I recall what I told Lauren.

"I just want to help you be normal." I cringe. My words will haunt me, only to be surpassed in pain-filled remembrance at the thought of Lauren's face.

"I'm such a bitch," I declare out loud.

Shame heats my face, and I fight to keep the tears at bay. I really hope I didn't ruin things with Lauren. I suck in a fractured breath, hoping to fortify myself against the riot of emotions threatening to burst forth and overwhelm me. I hate the idea of leaving things how we left them and letting the hurt fester for an entire week, but she's entitled to her space. If I'm being honest with myself, this is probably a smart decision. I'm not even sure how I feel about everything.

Did I push her too far?

Did I overstep my bounds?

Am I really trying to change her?

Thinking about all of this isn't exactly helping my migraine, but I deserve to deal with the pain. I roll out of bed, determined to try and be a human, and pad over to the shower. On my way in, my phone pings with a message. My heart stops for a beat. Could it be Lauren?

My eyes swivel to my nightstand, where I usually keep my phone, and it isn't there. Another ping comes through, and I frantically move about my room to try and find my cell. Rifling through my purse doesn't reveal my phone, and neither does the rumpled heap of clothes I shed last night before falling into bed. I leap onto my bed and toss some throw pillows around—seriously, why do I have this many pillows?—when I hear the third ping. Flinging my blanket in the air, I'm almost hit in the face by my phone. I scramble to catch it and glance down at my notification screen.

My hope fizzles out when I see Lauren hasn't texted. Instead, an unknown number shows in my notification screen, but I can't see the message. Swallowing my disappointment, I press my thumb down to open my screen.

Unknown: Hey Camila, it's Normani. I got your number from Lauren's phone.

Unknown: She doesn't know I'm reaching out, but she's asleep, so I'm taking advantage.

Unknown: We should talk. You free to meet up for coffee?

Curiosity slams into me. Is she angry, and is she angry enough to do something about it? I don't know Normani well enough, but I think if she were in the mood to kick my ass to defend her bestie, she'd succeed. Between her protective nature and my guilt, worrying, and overall crappy state of mind, it wouldn't be much of match. Shit, I'm inclined to let her.

While there's a strong possibility she's pissed, the tone of her texts don't convey a desire to take out her aggression on me physically. Besides, she isn't a bully. I have a feeling Normani has something else in mind. But what is it? Only one way to find out.

I save her number before texting back, and her response is almost immediate. We work out a time and place to meet, not mincing words, and I place my phone down when our exchange is over. With any luck, Normani will be able to help me out. Time to go find out what she wants.

The chime of the doorbell signals my entrance into my favorite coffee shop, and the fragrant smells of ground coffee beans and fresh croissants provides comfort and familiarity. A scan of the quirky shop shows me Normani isn't here yet, so I get in line and order a hazelnut latte with almond milk for me and a peppermint hot chocolate for her. I take a seat at an empty booth facing the door, and Normani breezes in right as our drinks are delivered. Perfect timing.