Chapter-16

Lauren

"Are you sure this is what you're s-supposed to wear to these kinds of parties?" I ask as I adjust the white strip of fabric draped over one shoulder and around my hips. Leave it to college students to throw a toga party in winter. "And are you sure I need to be there? I'd rather stay home."

"It's a toga party, so yes." Normani looks over and must see the discomfort on my face. "Aw, don't be shy, Lauren. You look great. You're doing the ladies a disservice by hiding these abs away, you closet hottie," she jokes. She playfully smacks me against my stomach before leveling me with a thoughtful stare. "And yes, I'm sure you need to be there. You owe me one, and you need to stop moping around the house. I know things are weird with you and Camila, but you're set to talk to her this weekend. Cut loose tonight and give me some moral support. It's been forever since a guy's been interested in me."

"Is that who you keep texting?" I eye her cell suspiciously. Who is this guy?

"None of your business." She clutches her phone to her chest, hiding the screen from me.

"I'm going to find out eventually, Mani ."

"Yeah, well, eventually isn't right now. How do I look?"

"Like a goddess," I answer honestly. Her wavy tresses are away from her face into a messy bun at the base of her neck, and the style perfectly suits the long toga she's wearing. I'm used to Normani wearing glasses, but she's different tonight. She's wearing the contacts she so rarely uses, and while her toga covers her skin, it hugs her figure more than her usual clothing. It's odd seeing her curves on display, and a feeling of protectiveness surges through me as I look at her. "This mystery guy better treat you like one."

"We'll see," she chirps. "And thank you, Lauren. You're so sweet."

She leans in to give me a hug and a friendly peck on the cheek, which I return.

"Ready to get this toga party over with?"

"I sure am. I think you'll be surprised by how much you enjoy it, Lauren."

Doubtful, but I'm willing to give it a shot. As we make the short drive over to the frat house hosting the party, I can't help but think of Camila.

This week without her has been awful. Between my own classes and helping Harry, finals week has kept me extremely busy, so much so that I barely had a moment to let myself think of other things. Outside of studying and working, the only bright spots in my day have come from my now doubled visits to the pool and Normani distracting me.

Our week is just about up, and I plan on taking Normani's advice. I'll support my best friend tonight, but I fully intend on visiting Camila tomorrow and talking things out. The time apart has helped me realize she does have a point. I've come a long way to manage and accept my stutter, but there are still times where I get self-conscious about it. I don't know if that'll ever go away, but I'm grown up enough to admit how things are.

Normani 's voice breaks through the fog of my thoughts. "You ready?"

I shake my head to clear my girlfriend from the forefront of my mind and see that we're already parked on the street where the party is being held. "I guess."

We unbuckle and head up to the house, making our way around abandoned red cups while the bass from the music inside thumps into the night. Students wearing togas in various degrees of indecency mingle around the front door and in the entryway, the crush of bodies becoming more dense the farther we head in.

I lean down to speak in Normani 's ear so she can hear me. "Where's your guy?"

She fires off a text and glances around the crowded living room, clearly searching for him. "Who?"