Chapter 4 (Family Ties)

As Abby awoke from her slumber, she laid there for a couple of minutes just recalling yesterday.   She finally got up, stretching her body and putting on her indigo blue slippers.  She went into the bathroom and quickly washed, brushed her teeth, and got ready for school.

As she grabbed her backpack and jacket, she happily walked down the stairs towards the kitchen to get some breakfast because she had a bit of time before she had to leave.

She got some toast with butter and seedless raspberry jam, an apple (which she put in her bag), and some orange juice.   As she was sitting down enjoying her breakfast and losing herself a little in her thoughts, she heard someone talking which sounded to be secretly in the Living room.

“Mom or dad must be still home…I wonder what they are talking about.  I don’t wanna be rude and eavesdrop, might be very important business.   Oh well, I’ll just go for it.  I’ll just be in there for a few minutes and then hurry back to finish the rest of my food.”  Abby thought.

Abby made her way quietly over to the Living room and stood with her back against the outside wall.  She stood there listening into the conversation, anticipating what she was about to hear.   “What do you mean they’re gone?!?  What happened to them?!?  I don’t care if you have to be sweet and holding on for dear life…I want them found immediately!”  Petra said in a calmly, but firm voice.  

That’s when I realized it was mom on the phone.  I wonder who she was talking to?

“Wow, I’ve NEVER heard mom act like that; let alone speak like that.  She’s usually more refined than that; she sounded more like dad.  That’s strange…what was she on about?  Who or what was missing?   I’m sure this is just nothing.  This seems all too much for me right now; I better get going before I’m late for school.”  Abby thought as she was standing there listening in.

Abby turned around quietly back towards the kitchen, sneaking on the way.

It wasn’t even a few minutes finished when her mother caught her and said “Oh, Abby…you frightened me!   What are you still doing home?   I thought you had school?”  Petra asked nervously abrupt with her hands folded behind her back.    “Yeah I just wanted to grab something to eat first.  I’m about to leave.”  Abby said.   “Oooh, ok.  That’s good.”  Petra said.   “Yeah.”  Abby said.

“So, what’s wrong?  Did you want something?”  Petra asked, still a little stunned.   “No, I just heard you in the Living room and wanted to say goodbye before I left.”  Abby said.   “Oh, ok.  Anything else?”  Petra asked.

“What was happening on the phone?  It sounded like things were a little heated.”  Abby said.   “Oh, it was just business stuff.  Not anything to worry about.  Well you better get going, don’t want to be late for school.”  Petra said smiling and lightly patting Abby on the back as she left the room and went to her office.

Abby still confused about what happened, walked back to the kitchen, ate the rest of her toast and drank the rest of her orange juice.  She grabbed her backpack, walked towards the door, looked behind her, shook her head, and walked out the door.

Abby stayed after school a little because she had an audition for a small indie play at the school and then she was getting the list of the songs for Cheerleading practice to perform at the big Football game so she can come up with routines.  Abby also met up with some of her girls in her friend circle:  Daphne, Chloe, Jasmine, and Alana who stayed after school as well (the rest went home because they had tests to study for, papers to write, and obligations to fill). 

They all got carried away joking and just had some great girl talk for a few hours.  No one at home noticed that she was gone, not even for a few hours.  They all realized it was getting late, so they said goodbye to each other and left the school.