Chapter 5 (QuickSands)

Pandora, Ian, Penelope, Hunter and Abby started walking down the lane towards the old house.  They all walked slowly down the road, hesitating a little.  As they got in close to the house, they heard noises coming from the front.

(Hearing a rustle in the bushes).  Something is rattling in the bushes.  The sound seems to be getting louder and louder and LOUDER…“Oh! It’s a squirrel.” Abby said breathing heavily.    “That scared the daylights outta me!”  She screamed.    “Oh you are such a big baby, you’re so scared of everything.” said Pandora.  “It was the stupidest dare I have ever done in a game of truth or dare.  I can’t believe we have to do this, but it’s Halloween after all.”  Abby thought.

“Don’t be such a whiner!”  Penelope said.   “She’s not a baby, she’s just needs some encouragement.” Hunter said.  (Putting his arm around Abby)   “I’m fine.  It’s just a house.” (She takes his arm and removes it from around her shoulder)

Hunter has liked me ever since that accidental kiss in 3rd grade…you know the saying “tripping and falling onto someone’s lips”…well…I actually did that.  I was in Math class.  I was bending down to get a pencil from my backpack, not knowing he was there I tripped over my own backpack, knocked him over, and fell on him with our lips meeting.  Very weird first kiss moment, but interesting memory.    I wouldn’t say we were meant to be or anything, it was just any accident.

I don’t know…maybe I do like him; he has turned into a beautiful creature since 3rd grade.  Oh my gosh what am I saying?!?  People call us the swans because of how a male and female swan’s beaks meet…when they are soul mates.  I don’t know how that is supposed to be an insult, I think it’s sweet.  Hey, it could be a lot worse.  Ok, again…what am I talking about?!?  Hunter and I…soul mates?  NO! Not happening.   Abby just shake it off and focus. Abby said to herself, losing herself in thought, but soon coming back to her senses.

When they all got inside the old cobweb-covered house, they surveyed the place as they walked around.

“Oh my gosh, ewww!  Cobwebs, This is sooo disgusting!   I’m not very fond of spiders.”  Pandora exclaimed.    “Well duh…Of course there are cobwebs in the house;  it hasn’t been lived in for years and decades.  It’s just an old house.  You’re not afraid of an old worn out house, are you Pandora?”  Abby said.    “Of COURSE I’m not afraid of a house…I’m fearless.  Oh Blah, blah, blah…whatever.”  Pandora said rolling her eyes.    They all looked at each other and began to make their way through the house.

“Why are we doing this anyway?   Why don’t we just go back to the house and relax with some movies?   I’ll even watch some scary movies, anything than being in this horror house.”  Ian said frightened.

Abby shook her head as she tried to keep up with everyone throughout the house.

“Hunter is always such a scaredy cat, that boy doesn’t have a backbone at all.  He gets scared when we watch horror movies.   He even protests to the idea of watching those kinds of movies, that’s why we have regular films for a little variety.  Actually I’ll admit it;  I like a little happy break from those kinds of movies myself.”  Abby thought.

“It’s just a little fun alternative activity.  We’ll be here only for a few hours and then we will head back to the house.   Geez Hunter, you’re such a wimp sometimes.”  Abby said to Hunter.    Hunter looks at Abby and playfully elbows her in the side.    “True.”  Hunter said.   They both looked at each other and smiled.    “I could never be mad at you Abbs.”  Hunter said to Abby with a slight sparkle in his eyes.    “I know, same here Hunt.”  Abby said to Hunter with a smirk on her face.

“Oh you two…get a room, will ya?!?”  Pandora said with an irritated look on her face.   “Yeah, stop, you’re making us sick.”  Penelope said with a nauseous look on her face and sticking her tongue out.   “Why would you want to be friends with Abby?  She’s just a loser.  You deserve better than HER.”  Pandora said.