Chapter 9 (The Caves)

Abby got up out of her bed, put on her slippers, got out her journal, and began to write her thoughts down before she would forget them.

Dear Journal:

I had the strangest dream last night.    It was the type of dream where it felt to real not to believe.    I saw weird & interesting symbols, me in a separate room from my family, a stranger chasing after me & Hunter, a man that looked like Grandpa Louis, but had a blank face, and seeing Jake in a dark, but dim room.    Also, Grandma Georgina and my mother were in that cave that I visited.   They were both looking at me with a serious, but creepy face just standing there, nodding and pointing to those same tribal drawings.  

It was so confusing and somewhat creepy.    What does that mean?

I woke up in a cold sweat feeling completely disoriented and uncomfortable.  After having that dream, how will I face my family about this?  Should I just get this off my mind and spill my guts about it.   It might make me feel better.  No, that would be bad.

Then they would REALLY think I was crazy then.  They would definitely send me to the hospital with the white padded walls.  (Abby puts head in her hands, shakes her head, and laughs uncomfortably)

I’ll just keep this to myself and keep focusing on the tasks at hand.    No need for more drama in my life (not more than I usually have anyway).

Abby looked down at her journal pages, closed her journal, put it away, took a deep breath contemplating about what she would ask her family and how she would ask them, got out of her seat and made her way down the stairs.

Abby quickly got dressed and went down stairs ready to slyly question her relatives and find out more about this information.   She walks down the stairs, she wonders how she will phrase her questions and also what will the answers be.    Will they answer them honestly or will they avoid the questions? 

She decided to approach the members of her family carefully and in the guise of school information…saying to them how she was doing an extra credit project about ancient cultures and the communal aspect of it.

She started the round of questions with her parents and then moved on to her siblings.   She approached her parents carefully in the family room where they were sitting on the long comfortable sofa busy with papers spread out all over the table in front of them. 

As they worked, Abby decided to just go for it while she had only a small window of attention.   The sooner she asked them, the sooner she could move on with her day.

Abby tried her hardest to ask her parents some questions and shed more light on the mystery of the map and the drawings with her clever sly way of inspecting.   They seemed interested in her conversation, but not as much as Abby would of liked them to.    She sprinted back upstairs to get more information from her three siblings. 

She did not have much luck because Pandora & Penelope were very busy, shouting at Abby to get out of their rooms while laughing at her in the process.    Abby’s brother Ian was much nicer with his response when asked about the info, but gave no such help as he said he did not know much about Ancient History.    He did however suggest that she try Google.

Abby shook her head in disappointment and headed back downstairs to go outside in nature for a bit to take a break from all the investigating.

Later on, she contacted some of her friends (ones that she can open up to about this sort of thing) because she needed to spill her guts out besides in her journal.   She told them most of what she discovered and she asked their advice on what she should do about it. 

Luckily, they did not think she was insane and told her to just be honest and see what feedback you get.   They also told her that it was the only way to know the truth…she agreed.