33 // Caramel Macchiatos

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Shout out to @MyPreciousMistakes for making me this awesome cover. Feel free to send me covers, trailers, cast suggestions, or basically anything to do with the book. I promise I don't bite! Thank you for being patient with this update. You guys are awesome. Happy reads (:

____________________________________

You're playing with matches and I have a paper heart.

—Tyler Ward

____________________________________

KATIE

SEPTEMBER // 5 MONTHS EARLIER

A familiar ringtone danced around my head. Derek lifted his head off of my stomach, rubbing the sleep from his eyes with the back of his hand. I felt around for my phone, nearly falling off my bed as I reached for it. "Hello?" I answered with a yawn, not even bothering to check who was calling.

"Are you coming?" Isabel's voice crackled through the speaker.

"Coming to what?" I asked as Derek put his head back down, snuggling into me. I ran my fingers through his hair, savoring how fluffy it was. Until I had met Derek, I didn't think it was possible for boys' hair to be considered fluffy.

"My house?" her answer came out like a question. It was impossible to ignore the annoyance in her voice. "To watch The Vampire Diaries?" she added, in case I had forgotten, which to be fair, I totally had. My mouth formed into a small o and my hand froze on the back of Derek's head.

"Umm..." I said, trying to think of a credible excuse.

"You forgot again, didn't you?" Isabel sighed.

"No, I just—" I began.

"No, you know what? Save it, Katie!" she snapped, cutting me off. "That's the fourth one you've missed. I can see you have other important issues and better people to hang out with."

"Isabel, come on." I rolled my eyes.

"No, just don't even bother coming over anymore, since you've made it clear that you don't even want to."

"But—"

"You've changed, Katie," Isabel said.

"I've changed just because I don't have time to watch a stupid show?" I asked as I sat up. Derek grumbled in annoyance and rolled over, continuing with his nap.

"You don't talk to me in class anymore."

"I'm trying to pay attention." I answered.

"You were able to talk to me last semester and still get above a 4.0," she countered.

"I'm taking harder classes this year." I shrugged, though she couldn't see me.

"You never text me back." Reason number 2.

"Because I'm studying or spending time with my family, You know, the one I've been deprived of since I was 12." I cannot believe I just played that card.

"You don't sit with me at lunch." Reason number 3.

"So what?" I asked. I didn't have an excuse for that. Isabel had just listed all the reasons that basically constituted me as a piece-of-shit person, and me not having a reason for taking fifteen minutes to listen to her talk made me an even shittier person.