11 // It's Thursday

Hold on to whatever keeps you warm inside. —Such Gold, Sycamore

____________________________________

KATIE 

DECEMBER // WEEK 3

"Katie?" I heard a very shocked, matronly voice call out my name. I opened my eyes to see Mrs. Hollis, Isabel's mom staring down at me with concern written all over her face.

"Hi," I answered casually, like it was totally normal for her to find me sitting on the ground with my back up against her front door. Yep. Totally normal. "How are you?" I asked, continuing with my easy going façade. This threw her even more off-guard.

"I'm fine, dear. I didn't know you were coming over tonight." Me either.

"Well it's Thursday," I stated the obvious hoping some sort of realization would slam into her like an 18-wheeler. Mrs. Hollis, who I liked to refer to as Sue, just stared back at me. The Realization Truck bypassed Sue and slammed right into me. "It's Thursday," I repeated but with much more purpose and determination. I scrambled to my feet and darted past Sue, making my way into the Hollis's kitchen. 7:57pm. The Vampire Diaries started in three minutes. Three minutes! I completely forgot! Isabel's mom probably thought I was deranged. Come on, Isabel, you're my other half. You're supposed to sense stuff likes this. This is when you come rescue me from this high awkward encounter with your mother so I don't have to explain myself.

As if on cue, Isabel bounded down the stairs and into the kitchen. "Thank, God you're here! I thought you'd forgotten." I did. I was preoccupied with my father and then Jake Roswell came to rescue me. She grabbed my hand and tugged me towards the stairs. "Katie and I are gonna go watch Vampire Diaries, mom! Don't look so shocked. It's Thursday," she smiled and her mom deflated with a sigh of relief that neither she, nor I was going crazy.

Once Isabel had closed the door all hell broke loose in my opinion if you ask me, but then again, nobody really does. "You're late! Vampire Diaries starts in—" she looked down at her watch, "2 minutes! It's Thursday and you're late! You're never late! Why are you late?" Isabel was walking around me in circles repeatedly, throwing her hands up into the air.

"I'm late because—" I started to reply, smiling slightly feeling my stomach leap just thinking about what had happened with Jake... but then the TV in Isabel's room started talking.

"Shut up! Shut up! I don't care why you're late. You can tell me on a commercial." Her words came out rushed. "By the way, I'm the new manager of the boys' hockey team at King High. So, I don't care if you hate hockey, you are now obligated to go to every single game with me," Isabel said, and then there was silence as I listened to Ian Somerhalder—who played my absolute favorite character: Damon Salvatore—lull me into a melodic trance. I didn't even process the fact that going to all the games would mean seeing my father, and at that moment, I didn't even care cause Damon Salvatore was beautiful.

Commercial break #1: Get food

Commercial break #2: Get ice cream

Commercial break #3 and up: Talk about what had happened so far on our favorite show.

How can Stefan not remember Elena or Damon? I can't believe that Elena almost kissed Stefan! My mind was racing. It was pure torture watching The Vampire Diaries but Isabel and I loved it.

"But you always stay over on Thursdays," Isabel whined as we walked out of her room. I had just broke the news to her that I wouldn't be spending the night, even though I do every Thursday. "Cause ya know, your mom takes the night off." Isabel cast her eyes downwards towards the floor, avoiding my gaze. She knew I didn't really like talking about my mother. She was always the centre-of-attention at home, why did she have to be the centre-of-attention at Isabel's house as well?