27 // Julius Caesar

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Shoutout to Stephanie0981 for making me this amazing cover!! It makes me want to get a nice, hot cup of coffee. Also, I had to change Katie and Ava's little brother's name from Ben to Finn. Apologies for the confusion. Another also: I totally didn't even see the Mean Girls' reference until a few readers pointed it out to me. I didn't intentionally put an MG reference in here, but since it is, enjoy (:

____________________________________

Sometimes I still wonder why things happened the way they did

____________________________________

KATIE

FEBRUARY

Ava and I walked down the halls after lunch, talking about the big snowstorm we were supposed to get this weekend. "No, the hot weatherman said we were supposed to get 12-16." Ava shook her head.

"I heard 16 inches and up for our area." I drew a circle with my finger.

"Did you hear that from the hot weatherman?" Ava crossed her arms.

"No, I heard it from the bald weatherman." I laughed.

Ava put her hands up. "That's it. I don't think we can be friends anymore," she said. "You watch the bald weatherman on channel 5."

"I like the channel 5 news!" I laughed.

"But the channel 7 news has the hot weatherman." I swear Ava almost stomped her foot.

"Do you even know the hot weatherman's name?" It was my turn to cross my arms.

"Yeah. Hot Weatherman. That's his name. He knows it. I know it. Everyone who watches channel 7 news knows it." Ava laughed.

I put my hands out as if to say, I don't know what to tell you. "I'm gonna stick with Bald Weatherman," I said as the bell rang for class.

"You are so strange." She gave me this repulsive look.

I shrugged.

"See you after class," Ava squeezed my hand before walking off.

I turned in the other direction and walked to my English class. We were reading Julius Caesar.

I sat down in my seat, which was still next to Isabel. She and I hadn't talked in four months. I looked over at her empty seat before going back to texting Derek. He had a free block right now, and he told me that he was in the library studying, but I'm not sure I believed him. Isabel walked in a few moments later and sat down next to me, not saying a word. I had grown accustomed to it.

"Alright, class! Let's get started, shall we?" Mr. Pin said before closing the door. "So what happened in last night's reading?" Mr. Pin asked.

"My main man, Caesar, got stabbed!" Alex said, throwing up his hands.

"And who stabbed Caesar?" Mr. Pin asked.

"His best friend," Isabel said without raising her hand to be called on. "Because Caesar forgot about him." Isabel casted a sidewards glance at me, or well, it was more of a glare.

I raised my hand. "I totally object," I said. "Well not to Alex, cause he was right, but Caesar didn't forget about Brutus. He was too busy denying the crown to worry about Brutus, who by the way, wanted to kill him." I leaned back in my chair.

"Katie, you make a good point. Would anyone like to respond to Katie?" Mr. Pin asked the class.

Jules raised her hand. "I agree with Katie. Brutus was just mad at Caesar, and he should have taken a lap instead of stabbing him."