26 // Because I'm Pregnant

Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts

And you are the slave to your emotions.

—Elizabeth Gilbert

____________________________________

JAKE

JUNE // 8 MONTHS EARLIER

"Where are you going?" Jules asked me. She was lying on my watching TV with a bag of chips next to her.

"Practice." I tried not to roll my eyes as I walked over to my dresser.

"It's summer." She made no attempt at hiding her annoyance. "Hockey ended three months ago, Jake. When you lost State, remember?" Yeah I remember. Of course I fucking remember. How could I forget something like that?

"Off season." I bit back. "Maybe if I train harder, we won't lose next season." I pulled a shirt on over my head. "Then maybe you'll have something to brag about. Maybe this town will stop reminding me I'm a failure. And maybe you won't be pregnant." I muttered under my breath as I hammed my feet into a pair of running shoes.

"Can you get me some more salsa?" Jules asked through a mouthful of chips.

"Why can't you get yourself some more salsa?" I asked her, tying the laces up. "Something wrong with your legs?" I growled to myself.

"Because I'm pregnant," Jules said in an obvious voice, as if that would make me sprint down the stairs and grab a flight to Spain, so someone could make her some fresh salsa.

"Pregnant people can still walk, Jules." I sighed.

"Yeah, but they shouldn't have to!" She held the bowl out to me.

"No." I shook my head. "Use. Your. Legs. It'll be good for the baby."

"Jakey!" I heard her start to whine and quickly gathered up the rest of my things.

"Bye," was all I said.

"Don't be late for the shower today." Jules gave me a sickly sweet smile as if she could sense my impending dread.

"What time is it again?" I asked her, just to piss her off.

Jules let out a groan of frustration. "Jake, I've told you a million times!" If I was close enough, she would have thrown something or hit me. The only thing she could throw at me was the TV remote or her phone, but then that would mean she would have to get up. So I was safe. "It's at 2." She frowned.

"Bye, babe." I wiggled my fingers at her. "Spirit fingers!" I chuckled.

"You're doing them wrong!" she let out a groan.

"That's why I'm going to practice."

"To work on your spirit fingers?" Jules was clearly confused.

"No, so I don't have to do spirit fingers." I rolled my eyes. "Try and keep up, babe." I smirked at her.

"I'm pregnant!" Her squeal reverberated off my bedroom walls.

"Oh really? I hadn't noticed. Speaking of being pregnant, when are we having the shower?" I laughed as I walked out of my room.

"Don't be late!" She snapped at me before I closed the door.

"Fellas," I said to a few of the guys who were already at the trail head. More of them were filing in behind me.