Work and a visit from an elf

It's been eight months and the amount of mouth injuries I've gotten is impossible to count. Luckily my mouth instantly heals now, but it's still inconvenient. My canine teeth have sharpened and my ears have elongated slightly. Being a children's librarian it makes it easy to pass off as a cosplay in town. Dad is trying to deny what happened, but his hair has gone light grey and he has gained a lot of weight. I mean a lot. I'm setting up to record when I hear the sound of bells. I spin in my chair to see Bernard standing in my doorway.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"Just checking in. How's everything going?" Bernard sits onto my bed.

"Cool, cool. My mom doesn't want dad to ever see Charlie again, but other than that I've been good." I say pulling on my sweater over my tank top.

"Oh, sorry about that." He winces.

"They'll work it out. They always do." I shrug.

"What exactly are you doing?" He asks, looking behind me at my books laid out.

"I'm gonna be going to work at the library" I say putting on my barrettes. 

"Can I come?" He asks.

"Absolutely! Just wondering, why?" I ask, putting on my clip on earrings.

"I have to see what your like with children. It's customary." He explains.

"Makes sense." I nod as I grab the bag he gifted me.

"It's just down the road so I walk." I say slipping on my shoes.

"Are you sure you can walk in those?" He points to my platforms.

"Yeah, totally. I've been rocking platforms for over ten years." I smile.

We walk out the door and I lock it behind me. The walk to the library is a short but pretty one. The flowers seem to bloom and the birds sing in the trees. After a short five minutes, we are there. Entering the library, I am greeted by a chorus of hellos from patrons and coworkers. I clock in and walk back to Bernard.

"Reading corner isn't for another couple hours, I've got shelving until then." I gesture to my cart.

"That's okay. I need to see how you work with others anyways." He shrugs.

Quickly and efficiently I stock all the returns and still have twenty minutes until reading to the children. Bernard observes from the corner as I check out several people.

"Oh I love this book!" I say to the person I'm checking out, gesturing to the book Misery.

"I adore Stephen king and haven't been able to find this one yet. Im excited to read it." The customer grins.

"Well, tell me how you like it when you return it." I smile back.

The head librarian taps my shoulder as the customer walks away.

"It's time." She smiles.

I grab my small bell from the counter and make my way to the reading corner where Bernard already sits. I bring the bell up high and ring it six times. Children seem to come out of the brickwork and swarm around the reading corner. Some racing to the front and others preferring to sit back.

"What story are you telling today Ms. Calvin?" A girl with no front teeth lisps.

"Today we are reading... where the wild things are!" I drumroll and pull out the hardback.

"That looks scary!" A boy from the back calls out.

"Remember, it's fiction! And fiction means-" I start and they all bellow "fake!"