PROLOGUE

❝𝐴𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑒𝑛𝑑, 𝐼 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑚𝑦𝑠𝑒𝑙𝑓 𝑡𝑜 𝑦𝑜𝑢❞

~•~

The world has become a pencil drawing— anywhere I turn to look at, I can only see them, I can only hear them.

He has that kind of face that knows to distil empathy out of someone. He is on pins and needles the whole time.

In that impenetrable obscurity unfurling everywhere— a blue lowboy trailer truck arrives 

Two blokes bedizened with turnout gears leap down. Their pairs of gauntlets strip the truck off of its only cargo— they demodulate a stretcher with someone on it, sheathed underneath a white parcel. 

His hands are violently shuddering. In defiance of, he is rock-ribbed when he shreds the white textile. 

He is definitely outcrying— he is seeing the perished face of his daughter. 

She may had been a flower all these days, who now is yearning to be bedecked with irises. An old man adjured, plead— but the demiurge at the expense of that old man's credence, avouched his daughter, to attire her in white chrysanthemums— behind a photo frame. 

I angle my head— in the remotest quarter of my mind, I am still waiting for you…

Recreating memories perching amidst dust and cobwebs, wizened with the cruelty of time— the son and daughter duo fades away piecemeal. 

Conquering my light, the door to darkness opens again. I am standing ; a lone lover. 

There were no Mangroves or Palms skirting me. What does one think of when they hear the word 'beach'? 

—Late night walks. Romantic playlists. Beach volleyball. Sunbathing. Swimming champs. Shells. Mocktails. Coconut water.

I think of those vivacious souls who jilted the sand, and meshed with tides. 

As of now, here nothing retains barring me, this obscurity, an impossible separation, and tumult of breaking waves. 

Inasmuch as I stared at that darkness— the despondent father's tear stained face perforated my soul. 

I turn to my right, trying to run away from the loneliness that is trying to hold me in its grip— running away from the eternal darkness. 

Three people loomed— a stalwart woman, a lanky police officer and a stretcher with someone's corpse on it. 

"What do you mean by that?" Seizing the officer's collar, she hollers, "You buffoons, what were you dimwits doing when he was drowning, huh??" 

"Ma'am, we are doing all that we can!! We tried our best, it was him who leaped back into the water to save his students--despite we did everything in our power!" 

She slaps the officer, "You are doing nothing apart from mournful over a preventable tragedy!" 

From my sight, then they disappears. 

I turn in reverse— I, now, see an adolescent girl careening around. She has prickly black hairs, and two large doe eyes— eyes like you, Kookoo. 

She stares at me for some reason,

"Oppa? Have you seen my sister? I need to tell her to not to ever go on a field trip arranged by her school! My sister is very pretty, but she is still very small. I know she will be waiting for me to return to her with dozens of chocolates from Jeju. I promised her I would bring sob many gifts when returning, so I need to tell her that I won't return. Tell me please, have you seen my sister anywhere? She often wears a green skirt and peach cardigan. She looks identical to me."