You

❝𝐻𝑎𝑝𝑝𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑜𝑐𝑐𝑎𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛𝑎𝑙 𝑒𝑝𝑖𝑠𝑜𝑑𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑎 𝑔𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑟𝑎𝑙 𝑑𝑟𝑎𝑚𝑎 𝑜𝑓 𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑛.❞
-𝑇ℎ𝑜𝑚𝑎𝑠 𝐻𝑎𝑟𝑑𝑦

~•~

The night was heavy with sorrow and pain, a sadness that seemed to cling to Taehyung and refuse to let go. It was only fitting, he thought, as he stood at the beach, where the waves crashed against the shore like a melancholic symphony— alone. 

The shore was littered with tattered shoes, frozen watches and frayed clothes from the victims, which had been restored. The shore was also littered with sore, wounded letters from families begging them to come back who had been lost…

The wind whipped against Taehyung's face mercilessly.

He spoke into the night, with an emotion undeniable, unspeakable, 

"Kookoo, I hope you can hear me. I promised you that I will live for you. See I'm living. . .for you. I have also named our daughter Soojin as you desired. Kookoo, we have not given up and today we claimed the justice we have been striving for. Captain Yoon is in jail now. But, it does not bring you back to me…yet. You will return to me, right?"

The brunette paused, his eyes glazing into the dark abyss of the ocean before him. A part of him had always been drawn to the sea, the way the waves rose and fell, an eternal ebb and flow that mirrored life and death. It was almost as if Jungkook was calling out to him from the waves themselves, urging him to release the pain and find solace— to drink moments to their lees, because he knew uncertainty prevails, plans do not. 

"Kookoo…" holding Jungkook's phone close to his heart that he left behind, Taehyung dipped his neck, his other palm grazing the yellow ribbons and the string of fate— if blended, an ethereal orange like sunset, when the Iseul had taken 304 lives away…

"I have kept my promise. Now it is your turn to fulfil your vows. Kookoo, please do," Taehyung relaxed his grips, letting his arms fall at his sides— a screen image of Jungkook's left last recording, he urged Taehyung to listen only on their wedding day. Taehyung played it…

"Dear Taehyung, 

From the mome-" before it could proceed any further, a brutal wind wheezed past, the device slipped from Taehyung's hand and the man could feel his heart stopping in terror. Movement caught his attention and Taehyung found himself sprinting towards the water, his heart booming with fear. But it had slipped away too, a diagonal wave over and over pushing Taehyung away, maybe because Taehyung did not hold onto in too tightly. 

Consumed by the tides, the recording was gone too, lost to the ocean…

If he had been lost before, Taehyung was now truly adrift.

"From the moment I met you, I knew that there was something special about you. I knew that we had a spark. And I knew that for me, you were the one.

Taehyung's mind raced with possibilities. Was Jungkook really back? Was this only a figment of Taehyung's imagination? Was it an auditory hallucination? Or was someone playing a cruel trick on him? No, no one was playing tricks— Taehyung knew his husband's voice inch by inch. 

The younger could not make sense of any of it.

"Today, I want to make a promise. I promise to love you with every fiber of my being, through all the ups and downs that life may throw at us. I promise to support you and encourage you in all your hopes and dreams, to be your rock and your safe haven."

Taehyung, being a lunatic, searched all around— nothing. No one. Nothing existed barring him, the vast ocean, and an unending dark vault. 

"I vow to always be honest with you. I vow to cherish every moment spent with you. I promise to share everything, whether smiles or tears, and to fill your days with laughter, love and warmth."

Taehyung panted heavily, expecting to see his Kookoo somewhere, anywhere, with a mischievous smile on his face, reciting the vows…once again.

"Tae bear, you are my soulmate, my best friend, and the love of my life. I am so grateful for the presence of you in my life and for the journey that we are embarking on together."

Taehyung's heart fell, and he sank to his knees in defeat, the waves crashing upon the impotent brunette. He did not know what was happening, but he knew he had to only live in that moment, everything does not need meanings behind— before it could turn to a memory. 

"I, Jeon Jungkook, take you, Taehyung, to be my husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, as the Higher Power is our witness, I give you my promise. Even death can not do us part."

In a split moment, like a beam of dying flashlight, Taehyung's mind replayed all the moments he had spent with Jungkook— Taehyung had gained in on the answer, searching for anything had been already deemed purposeless…

Seated on the shore with the waves lashing over his toes, palatable, Taehyung clung onto the threads, a perfect overlapping of yellow and red. An insupportable emptiness, an irreplaceable void riddled his chest. 

Lost in reverie, the brunette felt a sensation brush upon his feet, acutely different from the usual ebb and flow of ocean water. He peered down into the darkness, discovering an unexpected entity— an old hardcover of 'The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" by Ursula K. Le. Guin. A tome that had slipped into opaqueness after he had read it ages ago. 

A sense of consonance swept over. Taehyung shut his eyes, holding onto the book like a buoy in rough seas, the waves washing over his feet, a placid calm spreading throughout his being. 

Taehyung sprang to his feet, upright, larghetto, clutching the book to his chest. His each steps was resolute.  Leaving behind a train of sandy footprints on the bare ground beneath him, Tae bear walked away…

Above, the black expanse of the night sky was illuminated by the dazzling array of fireworks. The old clock tower nearby chimed midnight, echoing in the bleak winter air…

!HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017!

~•~

Don't forget to vote~❤