41. Marionettes

Chapter summary: Café, skeletons, and Jabs. How fun.

___________________

Opening the door after a few minutes, Blue sat on the steps while Stretch stood on the light snow covering the lawn. His relaxed poster turned rigid as you closed the door gently behind you.

Blue bounced up, turned on his heel to greet you once again. However, Blue paused and meekly avoided your gaze.

Sighing softly to yourself, you forced a smile, zippering up your sweater. "Where's the cafe?"

"OH! WE'RE GOING TO WALK, IT ISN'T THAT FAR." Blue bounced, pointing down the street before continuing to speak. "I NOTICED THAT YOU SWEAR IN GREEK GODS, THE CAFE IS INSPIRED BY THE GREEKS!"

He looked so proud of that fact, walking beside you while Stretch followed behind. You purse your lips, taken aback that Blue knew of your swearing habits — you couldn't help it if you could. Mentally reminding yourself to be a little more cautious around Blue.

"Oh really? Art back home is wonderful," you say after a moment, then added: "are you interested in Greek myths?"

The stars that burned bright in Blue's sockets surprised you, the excitement transparent in his features nearly made you stumble into oncoming traffic. If it weren't for Stretch's strong hold on your arm, you would've been flat.

Silently thanking him, you pulled your arm away just as Blue spoke up. Seemingly missing your airheadedness.

"YES! I READ ABOUT COURAGEOUS HEROES, THE GODS, AND EXCITING TALES." Blue counted off with his fingers, the small buzz around him made you smile genuinely. "OH! WE TURN AT THE NEXT STOP SIGN."

You nodded slowly, humming to yourself as the three of you slowly left the neighborhood. You turned to look over your shoulder towards Blue. "Most of those legends are lessons. They each have underlying truths to them that humanity, and monsterkind, could learn from."

Blue paused, his browbone furrowed slightly then he looked up at you. "YOU MEAN LIKE.. PERSEUS AND MEDUSA?" Blue's silence wasn't concerning, you could see the cogs moving in his mind and coming up with questions he might ask.

You weren't sure if this was the correct way of bonding with Blue, (Stretch kept his distance.) he might put the picture together - then again, Red couldn't put the glaring pieces laying in front of him together. You laughed softly at the thought, realizing that you were thinking of the impossible.

Despite zoning out, you jumped back into the paused conversation. "Medusa's tale before Perseus was sad, I never understood why goddess Athena decided to punish her."

Blue pouted softly, his gaze downcast in thought.

You weren't sure what to do or say to Blue that could cheer him up. Most of the tales in Greek almost always left in tragedy. Old tales to warn others of their greed and the like.

"But people depicted the story as Athena's jealousy. Medusa.. was known to be beautiful." You said, turning a corner with Blue.

A variety of shops lined the streets, vehicles zooming by and civilians walking alongside the walkway, either chatting or simply walking to a destination.

"YES I READ ABOUT IT! THE GOD OF SEA WAS INFATUATED!" Blue nodded slowly, looking at you through the corner of his sockets before looking forward, his arms tightly to his side.

You nodded slowly. "Yeah. She was turned into a Gorgon. Either as a curse or protection." You knew you were being vague, having been taught every legend there was down to the smallest detail. But to the mortal eye, it would look like an obsession.