31. Doubt & Goddess

Chapter Summary: — —

Red returned to the alleyway tired, sore, annoyed and angry. He couldn't find those humans who attacked first, and had no idea where they ran off to. It was as if they vanished into thin air with nothing left behind but the disgusting smell of burnt flesh.

He stumbled out of his shortcut, making sure not to touch the edges as he steadied himself. He could feel his magic level diminishing; that last attack took too much of him. It was a miracle that he didn't dust then and there.

Red took out his phone, scrolling through the contacts with a scowl. Leaning against the building for support, his knees trembled and he fell to his ass. He sighed deeply, glancing around — his soul froze.

Where were you?

Red quickly got back on his feet, although shakily, and walked down the alleyway with the help of the building. His red eyelights snapping to one corner then the other. Where were you?!

He cursed underneath his breath, dialling Edge's number. He pressed the device to his side. His breathing was hard, everything felt heavy and the ground seemed to shake beneath his feet.

Red knew that he'd be okay, Edge always came when he called.

"WHAT!" Edge roared when the line picked up. Red flinched, glaring at the phone before responding.

"...it happened again."

The line went silent. A few tussling sounds rose up followed by a car door slam.

"WHERE'S THE HUMAN?" Edge all but growled. The sound of a vehicle roaring to life made Red grin despite nearly collapsing.

"...nada clue."

"IF ARES AND ATLAS FIND OUT YOU LOST HER-"

"fuck, i know!" Red huffed, the sense of amusement no longer in his expression as he warily glanced around the alleyway. "..wait, i see sumthin' get here fast." He said before hanging up without a proper goodbye. He knew his brother would track him down - he did it a lot of times, what would make this time different?

Red pushed himself off the wall, grunting as he walked towards the half-burnt stake. The black ooze around it was nothing but black smoke, a stain on the pavement the only evidence that you had been stabbed.

Shit, you were stabbed! He cursed himself for forgetting that little detail. Little bits and pieces were falling in the puzzle but Red had no idea where they fit perfectly. It was frustrating to think that you had more secrets than you let on.

He gently picked up the stake, eyeing the ooze with caution. He recoiled at the smell and threw it away from his nose cavity. His phalanges pinching the small bone in disgust.

The smell was... indescribable. It was like expired human mustard mixed with something awful.

In a puff of blue fire, the stake was burnt into ash. Red cursed at the smell and stumbled back, glaring at the strange ooze and the ashes.

Screeching tires caught his attention, he looked at the end of the parking lot and huffed. Edge's black convertible came racing down only to stop directly in front of him, near the entrance of the small alleyway. The door pushed open - the first thing Red saw was Edge's red boots, followed by a long pointed bone.

"took ya long 'nough." Red muttered, effortlessly catching a bottle of red liquid. He stared at it for a second before popping open the cork with his teeth, spat it out and took a tentative sip.

It wasn't harmful. The liquid was created in his universe to help stimulate magic flow faster. It so happens that Edge also used it to fight for the position of 'Captain'.