Nine

Michael's POV

I sat at my desk, my mind anywhere other than where I am currently. I couldn't focus. I didn't want to think about all that has happened yesterday. I had found my mate but she was a part of a group of assassins and the most hated enemy of my kind. But despite her past, she still wanted to make amends. Not to mention the fact that a war was brewing and she would have to fight against the people she grew up with to defend us.
I had a job to do, a duty to my pack members and yet, here I was, thinking about her. The way her lips felt against mine, the sound of her heart rate quickening just at the feeling of my touch. She was intoxicating and I wanted nothing more than to spend every waking moment with her.
"Alpha?"
Maybe I could surprise her with dinner tonight? She loved Brandy and a rare steak. That thought alone made me like her even more. A woman after my own heart.
"Michael!"
I jumped, looking over at whoever had yelled at me and it was none other than Mason, his face as serious as ever.
"I'm sorry." I apologized, "Where were we?" I swallowed, feeling guilt run over my body.
"We need to schedule the swearing in of the Luna. But as it stands, we have more important things to deal with." Mason said, his jaw set as he looked back at me, "The Order claims you have killed Helena and not the bear we staged."
Fuck! This isn't good.
"Do they have any evidence?" I asked, keeping my voice as level as I could.
He shook his head, "No, the body was too badly wounded."
I nodded, "Okay."
"There is one other thing."
"What is it?"
I watched as Mason tossed the papers aside and handed me an envelope with a wax seal on it. I knew that seal. Grabbing it from his outstretched hand, I took the envelope open and read the contents, preparing myself for the worst.

Alpha Taylor,

I hope your wolves are doing well.
You may not be surprised that I am reaching out to you now, as I am sure you would understand the gravity of our situation. The Order of the Moon has now managed to set up various camp operations across the country and I fear for what they might accomplish in the coming months. I trust your warriors have been able to defend yourselves thus far, and from your last reports nothing has changed.
I also heard that you have found your Luna. Congratulations. But I was shocked to discover that she was a part of the Order. I hope she isn't causing you and your pack trouble. If she was a danger, I understand I would know of it. As you know, the annual Summer Solstice ball is coming up in a few months and I expect to see you and your Luna at this event. This is not a request.
I will warn you, Alpha, if your Mate does anything to harm my wolves, I will not hesitate to kill her myself.

King Aiden Moore
Alpha of the Moonwood Pack

I set the letter down, my gut clenching as I tried to process all that was said. The Order was getting bolder and my wolf was tense. Not only because the King knew that Helena was a huntress but that he was willing to kill my Mate to save his pack. On one hand, I understood, but on the other, all I wanted to do was smash his teeth in just for insinuating that she would harm them. I knew challenging the Alpha King wasn't going to help our situation but I still wanted to protect her.
I took a deep cleansing breath, and looked back at Mason, concern written all over his face. Handing him the letter, he quickly read it and the knowing look he sported said everything. He knew why I was angry, even if he had yet to find his mate, he knew if he were in my shoes, he would want to do the same thing. I needed to get the wolves to trust her, to know the future Luna of Lusana. If not for her safety but for the safety of our pack. But how was I going to accomplish that in only two months? Especially when everyone knew she was the daughter of Eugene McCoy.
"What do you suggest I do?" I asked and Mason set the letter down.
"We can deal with the Order with the information Helena has provided. But the most important thing right now is our future Luna. We could schedule the swearing in at the next full moon ritual if Helena is comfortable with that. Has she decided if she wants to be bitten?"
I shook my head, deep in thought. She had brought up an excellent point yesterday when she had the Ichor, it would be safer if she was a werewolf. But I couldn't ask her to change her race because of convenience. I wanted her to choose because she wanted to. I knew I had to introduce her to the pack soon, some had already been asking me when they would see her, and a part of me just wanted her to be comfortable instead of being bombarded with questions and curious stares. I knew it would happen during her swearing in celebration.
Mason was right, it had to happen. But ultimately, I wanted them to be her decision. This was her life, and I'd be damned if I forced her to change what she wanted in life. Though, the thought of seeing her getting ready for the party and dancing with her under the light of the full moon made my wolf excited. I was curious to see what was next in store for us and our pack. Whatever happened, it was meant to be.
"She mentioned wanting to be turned yesterday. She was under the influence of brandy and Ichor so I will discuss it with her later. I just want it to be her decision." I sighed, "Is there anything else?"
Mason shook his head not saying anything else as  I stood, leaving the room without a second thought. I walked across the pack grounds and toward my cabin, but as soon as I opened the front door, the metallic smell of blood assaulted my nose and my wolf went crazy.
Was Helena hurt?
I ran, following the scent to my room and when I peered inside my heart squeezed as I saw her sleeping peacefully on the bed, my hoodie engulfing her body like a warm blanket. She didn't look hurt, her heart rate was steady as she slept. A package of pads lay on the floor and then it hit me, of course, she had started her period. That's why she was having mood swings. Grabbing the package off of the floor, I put it back in the cabinet. I knew, without a doubt, I would make the most of our situation and she could feel like herself again.