Chapter 2

[Montmartre Residence, Monoceros Keep, Foranea 1:45 AM, 8th of Umbral-Tide/Darktide, Year 426]

Glenda slowly opened her eyes as she sat up and held her protuding belly. She noticed her husband was still in his slumber and slowly stood up. The 8th month pregnant pediatrician stepped into the bathroom and realised it was her 4th time to urinate in the wee hours of the morning. She opened the bathroom door and closed it. Amnon woke up and heard the door was shut. He took his glasses into his face and noticed his wife had gone into the bathroom.

" It's her 8th month with Emie, " he sighed and thought. " I hope she or they could get more sleep after this. "

Glenda stepped out of the bathroom and noticed her spouse got awakened from his slumber. Amnon stood up and aided her to walk and sit on the bed as she was lying down.

" Amnon, I'm fine, " she slightly smiled and said. " I can do this. "

" You know what I am concerned about? You can't function at work like this, " he reminded. " Glen, I'll take your half-day shift later at the clinic. I am requesting you for an early maternal leave starting from today. "

" But..."

" Glen, you said you're having contractions and easily getting fatigued. You spent working at the clinic for 2 to 3 months without me. I don't want you to risk Emie and yourself from working. You're already in the third trimester. "

" I know what you're getting from, " she sadly sighed. " I don't want to lose her and myself and reach pre-term labor. It's just that you have been absent in the past several months. I managed the clinic all by myself. I am sorry that I had to take it all in. When you left for Odyssea Academy, I wished I could have stopped you from taking the opportunity. I know that having a better salary and opportunity from working there could help you pay off the entire expenses. I never realised you have put yourself in danger in exchange of money. Money can be gained and accumulated, but your life is important. I understand that our lives are more important than anything else. "

Amnon had let out a deep sigh and heard his wife's sentiment. He gently held her right hand, sincerely looked at her, and calmly said, " We both suffer from separation anxiety. I felt the same way too, back up there and elsewhere in my missions before. If you're worried about me for my safey, I'm also feeling the same way when you overwork and carry a child inside you. " He gently held her large belly with his right hand, smiled and continued, " We still have our chance to catch up those lost days and have a child to raise. "

" Amnon..." Glenda hugged her husband as he hugged her back.

" Now, we still need to get some shut eye before I take over your shift. "

[EIGHT HOURS LATER: Clinique familiale et diagnostique Montmartre, Monoceros Keep]

" Veuillez ouvrir la bouche. (Please open your mouth.) " Amnon asked the young male patient and snapped his left fingers for his bioelectricity spell to spark and illuminate like a flashlight as the brunette boy followed.

The general practitioner held his tongue depressor using his right hand and intently eyed at the yellowish-white patches on the red swollen tonsils from the boy. He snapped his fingers as his bioelectric spell ceased. The child's mother in her late thirties looked at Amnon. Then, the boy covered his mouth with a handkerchief and coughed.

" Y a-t-il quelque chose qui ne va pas avec la gorge de mon fils, docteur? (Is there something wrong with my son's throat, doctor?) " the mother curiously asked.