Chapter 11

[Pénitencier Brochard, Martinnois, Foranea, 2:49 AM, 23rd of Umbral-Tide/Darktide, Year 426]

A phooka police inspector sniffed harder with his nose in his wolf form which the obnoxious smell of blood was lingering all over the place. There were scattered bodies of deceased guards and prisoners. He and the policemen were still investigating the aftermath of the sudden crime scene. The townspeople had no idea who was responsible for the sudden prison genocide. The two Aldernian men, a human detective and an elf journalist were with them to get more answers. A rat scurried around the scene unconcerned as it foraged around the various litter. Its pitter-patter like footsteps went echoing in the odd silence of the scene.

" Bloody hell, who could have done such a thing like this? " the elven journalist Neil Carter seriously asked and wrote what he saw into his notebook.

" More like we have a serial killer who committed the prison break, " Shemlock replied and examined the mutilated body of a prisoner.

" Is it related to the underground goons which Mr. Barbier mentioned yesterday? "

" Perhaps. "

Inspector Tier Sauveterre in his canid form howled everyone, calling attention which he found a deceased chief prison warden with an appearance of late sixties. Shemlock gestured Neil to come over while the forensics joined. Some remained documenting and gathering evidences. Tier kept howling and growling as everyone came to the scene. Then, he shapeshifted into his humanoid form.

A late thirties human male with a brown messy hair and his frame was slindly, but of average height. His eyes had a rare condition where one has a different color than the other. One right eye was blue and the other green. He had a small goatee. His shoes were cheap leather and a hand me down pants. His shirt was covered by a sweater vest. The badge and ID was in his pants pocket, enscribed as Lt. Liere Costa. He started prepping his camera as he put on his white gloves. He walked around the scene checking evidence in the area.

" Costa, Everyone, " Tier called out, pointing the deceased chief warden." You might see leads to the genocide. "

Liere follwed the others and went to Tier over to the body. As he took pictures of the recently deceased chief, he noticed some kind of mark on the chief's neck.

" Do you know this man, sir? " Neil asked Liere.

" I guess so. Can we shift zee body? " Liere responded. " The chief was in charge for only the past 5 years. I want to check that odd mark. I believe I've seen it on my last police photo shoot. "

" His name is Alphonse Mercier, chief prison warden." Tier replied and turned to Liere. " Mercier served the police for three decades before he transferred to the penitentiary. "