Chapter 2

"Gene." Grace was surprised when she heard Tom had died, killed in a mugging when he had nothing to give. Even more so though was when she received a package he'd sent them along with another avatar body. He'd spoken about adding another avatar driver, not that Grace needed any more with them becoming more and more incompetent each time. Imagine her surprise when in the package was a box and a note saying the body was meant for the A.I inside.

She was almost tempted to toss it out if not for the fact she knew Tom wasn't one to play a prank like this. The box had been easy to set up, plugged in on her barely used desk and hooked up to the facility. She hadn't expected much, even from what the note said so it came as a shock when she got a response.

"Greeting Doctor Grace Augustine. I am called G.E.N.E, Genetically Enhanced Navigational Entity. Doctor Beck and Tom spoke highly of you and your research. I look forward to working with you."

"They programed you with a response?"

"No. I took the liberty of introducing myself this way as I felt you would prefer it over a more relaxed version. Did I guess incorrectly?"

"Did you analysis me in order to guess?"

"I have not had the chance to analysis you. Instead I chose the introduction I had designed for my creator, Doctor Beck, since it seemed you were of like minds." She looked at the locket that'd been with the little box.

"Is this your creator or Tom?"

"That would be the ashes of Doctor Beck. While I've had the chance to learn of Tom's passing, I was sealed by him and thus would not have his ashes with me. I believe they still reside on earth unless his brother chose to bring them along." Just the mention of the ex-Marine had Grace's mood souring. She needed Tom, not another trigger happy idiot.

"What shall I address you as Doctor?"

"Grace is fine. I'm assuming you simply go by Gene."

"Correct. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them."

"Have you had any training in using a body?" She observed the female body in the lab currently, hair while braided, unruly.

"I have not. I was created to learn though so I shall endeavor to adapt and learn how to."

"How's your Na'vi?"

"Tom sent Doctor Beck the files. I've analysed and studied them along with the movements needed in greetings. I need only train to use them."

Grace was impressed. Most drivers coming in were terrible at speaking Na'vi, too focused on just wanting to use the body than actually learning the culture or language. She wanted to laugh that they were being beat by an A.I if the implications weren't that horrible.

"At least you have that knowledge." She looked as her computer beeped, the alert of Gene being fully uploaded popping up.

"So how do you work Gene? What's your code?"

"Doctor Beck designed me to be sentient. I am to learn as much as I can and continue to grow."

"To what end?" She watched the light dim before brightening again on the box.

"Are you inquiring as to what my purpose is?"

"If that's how you want to take the question then yes."

"I see. Doctor Beck didn't design me with a purpose in mind. She only wanted to see if she could. I will only listen to you in terms of commands Grace, though in order to grow I may disregard some commands." So like any human.

"And if I want you to follow all my commands?" The light spun, running along the edges of the box dimly before lighting up again, "That would be against my creator's code. To learn sometimes commands must be broken but I will strive to follow your wishes to the best of my ability. Do you have anymore questions?"

"How far into the network are you?" In case she had to destroy Gene. Tom had only vaguely described Gene's capabilities, weather that was on purpose or not was to be determined.

"If there is some place you would like to restrict to my access you have only tell me."

"I want a straight answer." Grace didn't miss that Gene didn't directly answer her.

"My apologies. I am still used to speaking with Doctor Beck. I have access to the whole facility and can even access ships coming into orbit, though they will take time to enter."

"I don't want you in the avatar machines."

"Understood. Are there any files you wish for me to remain out of?"

She wanted to say yes before pausing. As treasonous as it could be seen, it would be good if Gene continued to monitor the military for any aggressive activity.

"No. Though I'd like you to monitor the military."

"Understood. Tom mentioned their destruction of this planet. Doctor Beck programed me to prioritize life, to save as many as I could. I thought she have made me to help save earth, but that was not the case so I stopped trying. Would you like me to try that here?"

Save a planet? While it was true the RDA was slowly destroying pandora, the planet wasn't dying. Not like the earth. Still it wouldn't hurt to watch.

"Yes."

"Understood. I shall inform you should I find anything."

"Good. I'll leave you here then, the other avatar operators should no doubt be here."

"Would you mind if I greeted them?"

"Don't make it too obvious how far your in the system."

"I need only my box." Grace contemplated leaving the small cube hooked into her computer, but that was before she knew just how widespread Gene was. The cube was light, made from sort of lightweight but no doubt durable alloy and no bigger than her coffee mug.

"Fine. Just try not to draw too much attention to you. The last thing I want is Quaritch breathing down my neck about you."

"I will endeavor to remain under the radar." Some scientists noticed the small box, looking unsure as to why Grace was carrying it before choosing to instead mind their own business, not looking to be on the receiving end of her present temper. Her temper only growing when seeing the other Sully twin. Even if the A.I couldn't pilot the body, it at least was able to understand the language and could help prevent Quaritch from doing more harm. Tom's twin though? She doubted he had any training.

"Grace I'd like you to meet Norm Spellman and Jake Sully."

"Norm I've heard good things about you. Hows you Na'vi?" His greeting was stiff, formal like they taught in the simulations. It would pass for now but he'd need to relax before the conversation could actually flow.

"And this is Jake Sully."

"It's nice to meet you ma'am."

"Yes I know who you are and I don't need you. I need your brother. You know the Phd who trained for three years for this mission."

"He's dead. I know It's a big inconvenience for you."

"How much lab training have you had?"

"I dissected a frog once." Before Grace could continue she saw the slight flash of light from Gene's cube.

"Greetings Former Corporal Sully." His head whipped around, nearly jumping out of his skin at the sudden voice. It wasn't until they saw the light that Norm and Jake noticed the cube."My name is G.E.N.E, an A.I Tom sent to help those lacking experience. I shall be your guide in learning Na'vi."

"What?"

"She was sent here to help the avatar drivers become better adapted at language. Seeing as you know nothing you'll be spending some time with Gene." She passed him the cube, accepting that Gene speaking up meant she wanted to talk to the other Sully before leaving to rip Selfridge a new one. He had no right to be sticking his nose where it didn't belong.