Chapter 19

Grace still wasn't sure about them partaking in Uniltaron, but she didn't stop Gene or fight with her when the day came for all prospective members set out to find a kali'weya. The only problem Gene found was the lack of a jar for her to hold the insect in, not having learned how to carve one.

"Gene," She turned at the call of her name, waiting to connect with the dire horse till she needed to. She'd hate to lose herself so soon when she needed to be in her body. Amhul greeted her with a nod, hands occupied with a well crafted jar decorated with vines and pearls much like the ones she'd pulled from the srakat.

"May Eywa bless your search." She handed it over, the blessing  her wish for Gene to join them and to be one of them.

"Thank you Amhul. I will not disappoint."

"Go." Nanti and Ralu stood near by, waving Gene off as she connected to the pa'li and set off with the other hunters. Jake rode towards the back, putting more distance between him and the hunters Tsu'tey had taught as they hollered in joy. Neytiri had been kind enough to give him a jar she'd carved for him to use, not nearly as decorated as the one Amhul had given her.

She didn't bother separating herself from them, having spent a number of days training with them when Tsu'tey chose to bring her along when he trained them. They weren't all that friendly, but they at the very least tolerated Gene considering how little she questioned Tsu'tey and the drive she displayed for learning anything.

"Care to race Gene?" Saeyla called, the female challenging Gene at almost every opportunity when in the presence of Tsu'tey. Gene didn't really mind, seeing it as extra practice but with how often she did, it was almost becoming tedious. Especially now, her consciousness on the fritz being pulled between her and the pa'li and paired with the natural disruption the halleluiah mountains caused it was almost too much to remain in her body.

"Not today Saeyla. I'd rather not tire out my Pa'li so soon into our search. Besides where would we even race to? If we're to be looking for kali'weya, it'd be better to be slower rather than faster." Saeyla huffed, but didn't argue with her logic.

"Do you even know what a kali'weya looks like Gene?" Etu asked, the male having taken to tugging on her tail every chance he got. Never harshly, and he always laughed when she sharply turned with a hiss. Gene saw it as more training, how to keep herself better aware of her surroundings, but he was good at remaining stealthy.

She hummed, searching her mind for the many RDA files she'd stored away and repeatedly looked over to ensure she'd be able to recall them when working with a brain rather than wires.

"Yes. It resembles a creature hailing from earth commonly called a scorpion with the two insects sharing a commonality of a venom injecting appendage. It is considerably bigger and spindlier." She blinked at him, his face flat. If there was one thing outside of being a demon they disliked about her, it was her long explanations that lacked character.

"Sure, whatever a scorpion is." He waved off her explanation, choosing to ride harder to leave her and her words behind.  Finally they arrived a good distance from the hometree, the tops of the trees here able to fully block her vision of the great tree and most of the light. Their Pa'li took to feeding on the flowers in the area, Tsu'tey guarding them while they were left to find their own Kali'weya.

Gene took off with the rest of the hunters, the trees a second home for her body as they scattered in search of the insects. The jar Amhul had given her thumped against her hip where she's attached it with vines, a constant and comforting weight as she traversed the forest.

A pod of Yerik startled as she pushed through a patch of plants, frills out as they called to one another in fear but she paid them little mind as her eyes swept over the ground. A handful of prolemuris swung above her, calling to one another before stopping to stare at her. She paused in her search as well, returning their stare with one of her own. Outside of pictures she hadn't seen any up close. Jake had said where they landed they'd spotted a few, him confessing to almost shooting the small tree swingers she'd missed in her having fallen out of the helicopter.

"Could you help me I wonder?" Her chest squeezed painfully the longer she stared at the creatures before her feet were moving and she was following the small creatures. Stealth was forgone, but on some subconscious level she kept her feet light as she raced through the underbrush after them. She didn't know why, and if someone asked her she wouldn't have any sort of answer to explain her rush after the creatures. She only knew that she needed to follow them.

Finally they slowed to a stop, most of them climbing higher into the tree except one which swung lower and stopped above a patch of thick underbrush. Slowly so as to not startle either it or whatever was in the brush she pushed the leaves to the side and found not one, but two Kali'weya. The creatures where picking at dead creature of some kind, their mandibles clicking together harshly as they tore pieces off it's flesh.

She slowly took off the lid of her jar and in one quick movement she scooped both into her jar and capped it. She heard their mandibles and feet harshly scrabble against the sides, feet occasionally stinking out through the small holes that were placed all around, holes big enough for air but small enough to prevent being stung.

"Thank you friend." She nodded to the Prolemuris that quickly disappeared further into the tree after it's pod. It took her a bit to find her way back, but eventually she returned to find the rest of the hunters there and waiting, along with an agitated Jake and a smug Tsu'tey.

"Gene, seems you weren't killed after all." Etu laughed before the harsh rattling of her jar had them looking at it.

"Indeed not. A prolemuris led me my Kali'weya. As luck would have it, it was two." She looked at Jake whose jar was empty, having not had any luck.

"One for each of us."

"A hunter must find their own Kali'weya." Tsu'tey grumbled, stepping closer to Gene who looked up undisturbed by his agitated look. While his ears were pinned back, her own were perked up and it was then he took note of the mischief swimming in her eyes.

"Of course." And for all to see she undid her jar before slamming it back on, one of the Kali'weya set free. The insect reared up with a hiss before quickly darting into the brush. She turned to Jake with a grin. "Best catch it Jake." He huffed but took off after the insect. Despite her having brought it to him, it took him another hour to re-find it and successfully capture it. It was night by time they returned, Neytiri greeting Jake while Amhul waited for Gene to join her.

"Why did you do that?" She stopped, turning to Tsu'tey whose face was carefully blank.

"It's as you said. Hunters need to find their own Kali'weya. Despite one of Eywa's children leading me to the two, I wasn't about to just give it to Jake. Instead I showed him there was another and left him to find it. He is a warrior and as someone who wishes to be one of the people, it is only right he find it himself." She smiled before making her way to Amhul who looked at the jar Gene presented her with a big grin. Gene eagerly accepted the hug Amhul offered her, oblivious to Tsu'tey's eyes still on her. Again she defied his expectations, proving once more she wasn't like the other sky people who would have helped one of their own for the gain they'd get for having another of their kind in the tribe.

It wouldn't be long now till they were put to the test, he'd have to see then if she was one of them or truly a demon.