Chapter 18

"Are you awake Gene?" She groaned, body aching something fierce and sunlight not helping her head that felt like it'd been cracked open. Amhul stood over her, figure bathed in the light that streamed from the trees. Her many braids fell around her, the colorful beads lightly clicking together.

"I'm awake Amhul."

"Good. Tsahik said it may take a bit for you to wake up. You need to eat and drink something before you go to Eywa prematurely."

"What happened?" She gave Gene a slightly concerned look, eyes roving over her body as she slowly sat up and took stock of the amount of purple blotches that covered her. Of course that was only part of her worry considering just how much the urge to pee was.

"After beating Rotxo in hand to hand, apparently you collapsed. Tsahik said you were healing so we left you to rest. That's been a couple of days though." Amhul wouldn't go into detail. She'd been scared half to death when Ralu had rushed to get her. Gene had been sat on her knees, eyes white and head tilted back. She was whispering something, but no one could accurately make out what she'd been saying. Tsu'tey returned then with Mo'at in tow, their Tsahik quickly looking her over and saying that was healing. That the sickness in her veins was being cured further. Rotxo had been carried away for proper medical help, his body in as rough a shape as Gene's with the only main distinction being he was unconscious and Gene was lost somewhere between consciousness and unconsciousness. Tsu'tey had carried her back to her hammock then, laying her down and closing her eyes so she could finally rest.

"I see." She perked up then, eyes eagerly watching Amhul. Was she proud of her? She didn't know outright why she wanted Amhul's acceptance, but she did. She wanted Amhul to be proud of her. To want her to stay around. To want her. Gene's mind stuttered to a stop as she gripped her thoughts and looked them over. She wanted Amhul to want her. She didn't know why, she could make up a whole list but none of them seemed to fit as for why she wanted that especially when compared to everything else. It wasn't just Amhul either. She wanted to prove herself just as much to Tsu'tey. Perhaps it was because they were her mentors, that was the only connection she could figure out between the two.

"You did well Gene." Amhul watched with a fond smile as her eyes widened and tail waved happily behind her.

"Really?"

"Yes. I managed to convince Tsu'tey to tell me about the fight. You did very well. Before long you'll be officially one of us."

"I can't wait, Amhul."

"Neither can I. Before that though, you need to heal again. Tsu'tey allowed me to steal you once you woke up. Today I just want you to relax so first things first, a bath is due." Gene tilted her head. She hadn't really bathed her avatar body since first coming to live with the Na'vi, the occasional rains helping wash her body off as far as she was concerned since she wasn't aware if they had soap like the humans.

Breakfast was well and truly over with, the midday meal being prepared when Amhul guided her into the cooking area. Nanti had taken over, giving instructions to the others that were there to help. Ralu was absent, no doubt out hunting seeing as he enjoyed bringing food in for the tribe as much as he enjoyed preparing it. Nanti straightened at the sight of them, her eyes roving over Gene's body with a deep frown.

"Hello Nanti. Are you well?"

"Far better than you it would seem. I heard about your fight. It was stupidly reckless of you to accept Rotxo's challenge again." Gene deflated at her words, even if they rang true. Nanti sighed, eyes looking deep into Gene's, "having said that I'm quite proud of you for standing up for yourself and winning this time. I've never taken on an apprentice, but I'm proud I took a chance with you. You've taken my teachings and properly applied them. Take pride Gene, though I must ask you to not fight so hard in a spare like that again."