Chapter 9

The morning consisted of archery as she'd planned. Like before she settled into the stance Tsu'tey had shown her before pulling the arrow back and holding it as long as her arms would allow before letting it fly. A few still didn't make it to the tree she'd designated as her target, but she made more than she missed. Her accuracy was still something to want but it was getting better, bit by bit. A few Na'vi watched her but none said anything, glares all she needed to see to know what they thought so she paid them no mind and sought out Nanti.

Despite her saying they'd go in the afternoon she was waiting impatiently for Gene.

"I was about to leave you."

"You said to come around Mid-day meal. Is there something wrong?"

"No let us just hurry. These seeds are a bit hard to get." She connected with a pa'li, helping Gene swing on behind before urging the horse like creature into the forests of pandora. Gene carefully held on to her, mindful of the large bow draped across her back.

They rode for awhile, trees blurring past as the sounds of life grew along with the energy. When in hometree the energy was like a distant buzz under the skin, noticeable only if she was focused. However the further they went the more it grew till it almost felt like her limbs were asleep.

"Damnit." Gene focused back at Nanti's curse, the Na'vi hissing as she gazed up at the tree before them. A few pods were already open and empty. A few however looked ready to burst and more still looked as though they'd been gutted.

"What's wrong?"

"The Episoth seeds I was waiting to harvest are gone. Someone else grabbed them it seems and the next one that looks harvestable is among the higher branches." She sighed, clearly having looked forward to gathering the seeds. Ikeyni had told Gene about the seeds, a sweet treat many Na'vi enjoyed. She'd told her how to harvest them but without one in front of her she was unable to picture what harvestable ones looked like.

"Which ones look harvestable?"

"That one at the top. It's not safe to climb the plant. Most look ready to burst though so we'd better leave."

Gene slid off before she could turn the pa'li around though and began climbing.

"Hey didn't you hear me!? Moron you'll kill yourself."

"I'll be careful. Besides you seem like you really want them. Just be ready to catch them in case I drop them. Or me for that matter." Gene laughed, carefully maneuvering around a strained seed pods. The plant was large like most of life on pandora, not too much larger than a Na'vi but enough she had to climb it. She felt a seed pod brush against her stomach lightly, Nanti sucking in a breath as she watched Gene brush with possible death. The acidic seeds could do some damage when they were flung, burning through anything before finally growing and with how close Gene was there would be damage.

Finally the cluster was within reach, Gene's fingers trailing over it slightly. She needed to go a bit higher but already she was stretching it. There was a chance she'd damage her avatar but she needed to. For as stiff as she was, Nanti had shown her kindness. This was something she wanted to do for the other Na'vi. She stilled her tail in its movements, placing her foot on the next branch carefully before peeling back the cracked pod and gathering the seeds. Their mucus was sticky in her hands, leaking from the pod and seeds but not hurting her, not quite acidic enough to do damage.

"Move back a bit I'm going to jump down." Nanti backed away with her pa'li, eyes watching gene's every move carefully. When she was far enough did Gene push off the tree and throw herself to the forest floor. Nanti ducked when a seed pod burst, spraying the seeds in every direction. One grazed Gene's ankle, mucus burning slightly but not to horribly.