Chapter 6

Tsu'tey found her the next day, scowl present and mood bitter at having to train her. She'd just finished breakfast and was on her way to the choir when he'd dragged her off to train. A training bow was thrust into her hands and she was given three blunted arrows to use in her practice.

"Ready the bow." Having only seen how they hold the bow, pictures of archery contests, and having no combat practice she wasn't surprised when he hissed at her stance and quickly corrected it. He kicked her feet wider, smacking her arm till she raised her elbow up where he wanted it.

"Relax your stomach and shoulders but keep them up."

She tried to do as he instructed, managing to keep her stomach from being too tense but having a hard time relaxing her shoulders while also keeping them back.

"Relax." He hissed, ears pinned back as his tail lashed about. Finally when she'd managed to relax her shoulder enough did he nod and point at a tree for her to shoot.

"Pull all the way back and hold." She hadn't taken into account that bodies, human or otherwise, had to increase their strength and endurance through training. Already as she drew the arrow back to her mouth she could feel the strain on her arm muscles, the limbs shaking.

"Weak."

"I've never had training before so I will be. Just means I need to work harder."

His lips curled in distaste before commanding her to fire. The string snapped back against her inner arm, a sharp sting while the arrow flew only a small distance before falling. Unperturbed she simply grabbed another and returned to her previous stance. She relaxed her stomach, drew back her shoulders in the most relaxed manner she could before pulling the arrow back once more with her elbow straight.

He tapped it higher though before turning her body.

"Don't follow the target with your body." Just your hands going unspoken. When her arms began to shake again, tremors racing through them that she could not hold back did he have her shoot.

The string still snapped back against her arm, not as hard but still there. The arrow went a bit farther but still remained in the ground rather the tree. This continued throughout the day, string still snapping against her purpling arm despite her best attempts at preventing it, arrows falling short of the tree. Finally he grew too mad with her lack of progress and dismissed her with a hiss, leaving to do something.

Despite him dismissing her though she stayed, continuing to shoot arrows only when it felt like she could no longer hold them. Form getting more relaxed yet remaining in the form he had her hold. That was where Ralu found her, the Na'vi not noticing her at the evening dinner.

"Shouldn't you be practicing with a teacher?"

"He grew tired of my poor performance so he left. I think I've gotten better though." To emphasize her point she released the arrow once more, string no longer hitting the large bruise on her arm. The arrow didn't go quite where she wanted but it did hit the tree, just a little ways below where she wanted.

"You've still got a way to go but it is good. Come though, you are missing the evening meal and no doubt didn't eat around mid-day." Her stomach agreed, a small gurgle coming from it much to his amusement.

"It seems I lost track of the day. Thank you for fetching me."

"Don't just thank me. Amhul was looking for you as well."

"I'll have to thank her when I see her then." The older Na'vi turned at their approached, eyes racking over Gene with an approving look as she passed her a handful of Teylu and a piece of Hexepede.