Chapter 11

While a cracked rib may have put her combat training on hold, it wouldn't stop her from other activities. Once the Tsahik let her leave the medicine room she headed straight for Amhul. Cooking didn't require too much physical extension and neither did gathering. Yet when she approached both women they each turned her down. She wouldn't be able to collect ground mushrooms and grubs since it was hard to bend down. She wouldn't be able to help prepare the meat the hunter's brought in either, needing to lift the creature.

Instead Amhul directed her towards the choir. "They may not let you sing but you can at least listen and learn our legends and songs. Maybe when you are well again and cooking you can sing our songs." Unlike before the older women didn't introduce her to anyone. She simply pointed and returned to her work. She got quite a few looks as she walked through the home, news of the fight she'd accepted and lost no doubt spreading. Not that she minded, it was a learning experience, a bit one that hindered her other learning but such was needed.

The choir was easy enough to find, voices carrying over the air, alluring and gentle. They sang of the first ride through the skies, the legend of the first Ikran rider. She carefully took a seat near the edge, a Na'vi female looking at her closely before returning her attention to the Tsahik who was leading them in the tale, Na'vi children sat at her feet. It was a school lesson. How fitting for her to listen then.

When that tale finally drew to a close the children stood and scattered, giggling among themselves as they went about reenacting the stories they'd been told. The choir remained however, nodding to the Tsahik as another took her place and lead them into song. A few more had noticed her in their small break, face's revealing nothing to her as they chose to ignore her. That was where Tsu'tey found her, awhile after the mid-day meal. The choir had dispersed aside from the older Na'vi male who'd lead them, answering her questions with surprising patience.

"Demon," The male paused in his answer, gesturing to her that the insult was meant for her. She tilted her head at Tsu'tey, having not expected the male to seek her out anytime soon.

"Yes?"

"Let's go. Even injured you can at least learn how to ride a pali."

He sneered at the word injured, as though she was solely to blame for her condition. She was only mostly.

"Alright. Thank you for humoring my questions Akwey." She bowed to the man before following the disgruntled warrior. They walked to the outer area of hometree, a larger pasture of flowers housing the Pa'li the riders used. The Pa'li didn't just stay there though, she'd seen them slowly migrate their way around the tree, taking equally from flowers.

With a sharp whistle a broad chested male seperated and greeted Tsu'tey, bending low and allowing him to bond with it. He led them further into the herd before showing her to a mare.

"She is mellow. Try bonding with her demon." She let his insult wash over her, pulling her braid forward before watching the soft pink tip intertwin with the pa'li's. At once her senses were overwhelmed, eyes widening as her mind became entwined with the pa'li. The horse like creature snorted, pawing at the ground at the sudden change in mind. From something organic to something only half.

Gene could almost hear her processing core running, burning up at the sensory overload yet she didn't pull away. Instead she set her hand on the pa'li, gently stroking its neck and further stilt to its side, taking in the feeling running over her as well.

"Beautiful." The word whispered as she breathed in deep through the pa'li and exhaled as herself. She swung her legs over the mare's back, grabbing the anteene before looking at the expanse that is the forest.

"Go." She lunged forward, jarring Gene but not losing her as she held on tight and took in the experience. The way the ground was pushed down, the feel of their legs rushing against the ground, the air flowing over them. She could feel her heart pounding, practically hear the pa'li's beating in sync. There were not enough words in any language to convey the feeling that washed through her from the bond. No proper way to describe becoming so entangled with something yet so distinct. To be unable to tell where you ended but know just where each started. Inhabiting her body was never this way, though it felt more natural. Maybe that was an error but she wasn't about to stop it if it meant she could find the reason behind Grace's answer. Those short words that Gene could not comprehend how to complete.

She was jarred back from her experience by Tsu'tey, who'd riden past them and blocked her. Stopping almost sent her over the pa'li, body lurching but she managed to remain upright, breathing almost as hard at the mare. She relaxed her grip on the pa'li's antenna, whole body slackening from where it'd been tense in an attempt to not fall off from the break neck speed she'd inadvertable set.

"Sorry." But he didn't say anything, simply watched her with an unreadable expression. Finally his face hardened and he gestured back towards the tree.

"Follow." Unlike with bow training where he'd left her after one too many mistakes, he stuck with her for the day. Having her run and stop without her whole body going with the motion atop the mount. Learning how to maintain stability and awareness since she'd been so engrossed with the experience she'd failed to hear him shouting at her.

"You are better than JakeSuly." He mused, a sneer on his lips and a gleam in his eyes. She wanted to say it was malice but it lacked the cruelty she had observed in humans. Another emotion perhaps. What she couldn't be sure.

"How did he fair? I have yet to listen to his accounts on riding and no one has told me."

"Like a newborn."

She tilted her head at that, turning the comparison in her head. It would be an ampt description when he first inhabited his body but to still be used. She thought by now he'd be used to everything, adapted fully to his new body even while still existing in his older one. 

"Is that so? I had hoped he would have adapted by now. It seems I miscalculated the time needed to transition from human to Na'vi fully." His lip curled at that but he made no comment. It wasn't until it began to darken that they parted from the Pa'li. Gene ran her hand over the mare one last time before disconnecting the bond. Her vision seemed to white out at that, ears ringing before she managed to bring herself back, hand still on the Pa'li and body stiff. Tsu'tey was a ways away, already making the trek to the evening meal. The mare snorted, head brushing against her before she ambled off to rejoin her migrating herd.

She wanted to listen to the Tsahik, to allow this change of energy in her body but maybe it was time she consulted Grace. It would be problematic if her body suddenly collapses due to unforeseen circumstances. An error in connection or genetic makeup. Or perhaps that was a side effect from bonding with a creature for so long, something the Na'vi's overlooked or adapted to. She wanted to consult with Jake but if Tsu'tey's words meant anything, it was that she was alone in this experience.

Slowly she pulled her body away from the field, dragging her feet in the direction of home tree. It could also be because she was still healing from injury, her ribs still slightly bruised. She'd wait to tell Grace. With so many outside factors, it would be presumptuous of her to immediately think the worse and worry the doctor more that she already is. Time was running and they couldn't yet see the finish line but it was there. For now she'd leave Grace to her own problems and try to fix what may be broken.