17. betrayal at its finest

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

THE library was the only place that Daemerys felt at peace these days

THE library was the only place that Daemerys felt at peace these days. The smell of book and the the heat coming from the fireplace made her remember the times she had spent with Corlys.

She missed him more often than not, she missed their sparring lessons, when he'd read to her and teach her new things but most of all she missed the way she didn't hear voices when he was around — his wise wisdom made her forget such things that happened in her mind.

One son must fall for the dragons to dance.

But even then, the way she was feeling now made her head pound and voices awaken. She didn't get the voices as much as Helaena, a part of her was thankful because she knew it would drive her mad, she was slowly going that way as it was.

Aemond had sauntered off after the woman, Criston not far behind as well as Daemon and Rhaenyra. Lucerys sat back in his chair with a look of shock before turning to Jacaerys — who stared down at his plate of food wide eyed.

Did this mean that she was their...?

There were so many questions and the only people who could answer them were either dead or hadn't told the truth when they should have.

Daemerys placed her hands on a bookshelf, tears flowing from her eyes — all she did was cry these days, she was exhausted. Her breathes were ragged as she gasped for any air she could get from the heated room.

Aemond opened the door and stopped when he saw her, "Daemerys". His body was tense and hair was pulled back behind his shoulders from walking at a good speed to get to her.

"Don't", she stopped him and turned away, hands coming off the shelf to hug herself. She couldn't look at him, he was promised to another now and she was simply nothing more than just a bastard who had no claim over him — her love was gone.

She knew she was a bastard, she had known since the night she took Aemond's eye but she had always hoped that perhaps Daemon would be enough to convince herself that she was worth loving. She thought her real father was just some high born who didn't care about anything but instead it was a man, a brave man who helped raise her brothers.